Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #31
justloveebooks
Enthusiast
justloveebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Kindle Voyage 2x,Sony PRS-T1 rooted,Sony Prs-505
Got my vision 6 yesterday and today connectected it to the Mac.
Sideloading books is not working well, after connecting a Window opens "Android xxx", but is not a normal Finder Window. You can drag and drop books in to the tolino book folder, but should only drop a couple (say 10), too many results in an error "cannot be copied" or something like that and the tolino is often disconnected after that. Reboot and/or unpluging repluging is then needed.
Calibre:
As I am still on mojave, my older Calibre version is 4.23 (imho the last version to work on mojave), newer versions require newer macos, might test it with newer calibre on a Winstick with Windows.
Often Calibre does not see the tolino, and then it does it is much the same as drag&drop: a few books work, then it has a communication error with the tolino. See above, much the same.
Not very good.
justloveebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #32
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

tolino Vision 6 from Thalia has Hugendubel as Shop!

Ordered the tolino Vision 6 from Thalia, as Thalia.de and ebook.de are my main German shops.
Yesterday I received it, earlier than it was promised on order-day (Nov 10th).
Slim case will be delivered later, maybe december.

Hardware is great, a little smaller than my other tolino, an Epos V1 and for me better to handle.

On turning it on, I was (badly) surprised: the first and main shop is not Thalia, as expected, but Hugendubel. Searching the package for a few minutes, I discovered nothing about that, that would have warned me.
Using the device and also installing the first update it found after connecting to WiFi would be severly limited without registering and logging into Hugendubel, so I did that. After that you can add your other shops. And then it is connected to an existing Cloud, you can download your already bought books.

Just to be sure, I did nothing wrong, the next day I wiped the device, reset it to factory settings, and started new. Not sure, wether all settings where gone (imho the page buttons where still switched like I wanted them), but it stayed on Hugendubel, nice touch though, after logging into Hugendubel, the added shops Thalia and ebook.de where still linked.

Why does this matter to me, which shop is the main/first?
You are permanently logged in, and you can buy and look into your whishlist and buy from there.
This is also possible with other shops from the webbrowser, but you have to login each and every time, and after a certain time or switching context, you have to login again. No saved credentials, no password etc. only bookmarks for the URL.

Might contact Helpdesk about this, major inconvenience, but then again, how often do you buy books directly on the device? Not sure, but it was nice to be able to.
Also, if it was an error, Thalia shot themselves in the foot, as maybe 2-5 books a year I might buy through the device, and will do so from Hugendubel.

Please other buyers from Germany and other vendors reply which shop was configured as first shop on your device.
If there is a way to change that (even rooting), I want to know.

Last edited by justloveebooks; 11-16-2021 at 07:39 AM. Reason: wrong format, typing errors
Advert
Old 11-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Thalia supplies Thalia branded devices.
This is also recognizable from the Skoobe rental option
There is no possibility to rebrand.
Where exactly did you buy?
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by justloveebooks View Post
On turning it on, I was (badly) surprised: the first and main shop is not Thalia, as expected, but Hugendubel.
That's weird that you bought the Tolino from Thalia and got a different store. When I bought a used Tolino it was hooked up automatically to some other bookstore. Someone here instructed me to get hold of support. In about a day they had me switched to Thalia. But this might have changed with recent firmware update updated. I'm not sure.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:02 AM   #35
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

After watching a few youtube videos about the tolino Vision 6 (unboxing etc.), I checked the package again and the package clearly said it was sent from Thalia - in the videos one was sent from Hugendubel and correctly had Hugendubel as the shop, one other Video showed the tolino Vision 6 screen and Thalia was shown as the shop.

Contacted support, they said it was a technical error, and will get back to me.
This first written and personalised "received your problem" info was within hours, fasted reply ever for support I contacted, imho - this was not an auto-reply!
The first firmware update is installed and as I said, I wiped the device and reset it to factory settings, but this did not help.

Also tested the search for "124816", this still worked.
Advert
Old 11-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #36
Mel_anie
Mel_anie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Got my vision 6 yesterday and today connectected it to the Mac.
Sideloading books is not working well, after connecting a Window opens "Android xxx", but is not a normal Finder Window. You can drag and drop books in to the tolino book folder, but should only drop a couple (say 10), too many results in an error "cannot be copied" or something like that and the tolino is often disconnected after that. Reboot and/or unpluging repluging is then needed.
Calibre:
As I am still on mojave, my older Calibre version is 4.23 (imho the last version to work on mojave), newer versions require newer macos, might test it with newer calibre on a Winstick with Windows.
Often Calibre does not see the tolino, and then it does it is much the same as drag&drop: a few books work, then it has a communication error with the tolino. See above, much the same.
Not very good.
The last version of Calibre, 5.32, has now added support for the Tolino Vision 6.
Don't know how much better it will work now, as for the fact I haven't bought a Vision 6 yet, but I hope it will be just as neat as with the Paperwhite.
Can anyone confirm? Black Friday is coming ...
Mel_anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:25 AM   #37
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Contacted support, they said it was a technical error, and will get back to me.
So far (since Nov 16th, nearly a fortnight) no other message from support for this issue.
Had trouble with a few sideloaded books (Kindle DeDRMed and converted to EPub, tried sideloading from Mac). Needs further testing, but it seems, that even the books that are transfered to the Tolino Vision 6 from Mac, before it disconnects, are broken.

Issue is the following, which I contacted support about before realising, that these where sideloaded books:
Read another book, went to Tolino Main Page, paged through the booklist for a different book (Station Eleven). Tried to open that book, Cover was displayed, but after the cover paging 1 page forward resulted in 1 page forward in the old book. Could not go further in the book.
Support said to wipe the device, set to factory defaults and start new, which I will probably do at some point, but further testing of this error tells me the sideloading was at fault:
uploaded the same book to the Tolino cloud and download from there, that worked. Later had the same trouble the other way round, there I could not open the original (first read) book, which was instantly apparent, as that one was German, while I read Station 11 in English.

Started the Tolino new and could again open the first (German) book, will see how it goes. When I find the time, I will test a few more mac-sideloaded books and then whipe all of them and copy them again from a Winstick, which hopefully will work better.

Conclusion: Sideloading from Mac is unreliable without additional software.
Will report this sometime again to support with a suggestion to change the connection mode to better work with Mac.

Last edited by justloveebooks; 11-29-2021 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Error correction
Old 12-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #38
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Tolino Vision 6 wrong shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's weird that you bought the Tolino from Thalia and got a different store. When I bought a used Tolino it was hooked up automatically to some other bookstore. Someone here instructed me to get hold of support. In about a day they had me switched to Thalia. But this might have changed with recent firmware update updated. I'm not sure.
Contacted support, said they will look into it, after > two weeks no answer, contacted them again. Had since wiped the tolino Vision 6, updated to 15.2, still Hugendubel (well, as expected).

Answer just today from them: I have to bring it to a Thalia store, sending back would be free, but only result in payback, no swap.

Even in store a swap is not guaranteed from them, it "has to be checked". As I still have my tolino epos V1 (and a Kindle Voyage) for reading, I will bring it to a store next week. As usual with such new device still in waranty, I kept both the box and the shipping container.

Not a good solution when all they had to do IMHO was swap a file, which should be possible with a script or some other download from them.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:40 PM   #39
jesson345
Enthusiast
jesson345 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Any news of tolinos APK installing?

Seems like the third party APK installing is blocked in 15.2.0 firmware。
jesson345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:33 AM   #40
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesson345 View Post
Any news of tolinos APK installing?

Seems like the third party APK installing is blocked in 15.2.0 firmware。
No, I will not try anything like that before others. Sorry.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #41
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I will not try anything like that before others. Sorry.
To continue:

My Torino Vision 6 with the wrong first shop (Hugendubel) was swapped by Thalia without a problem against a sealed new one, which has Thalia installed as the first shop. Works as expected.

Now I just got a new Computer iMac 24 M1, delivered just before XMAs.
Still testing. But not good for DeDRM., Pub and Torino.
Currently the Torino is not recognised by Calibre V 5.34.
Some essential programs for ePub do not work or not work correctly.
Adobe Digital Editions must be 4.x., 2.x was 32-Bit and does not work.
Wether it is working, remains to be seem, does not look too good.

Both programs for the new transfer protocol may require re installation, I simply copied them from the old Mac miini.
More testing required, probably in the next days.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #42
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Quote:
More testing required, probably in the next days.
Sorry for the fast writing with quite a few mistakes, new keyboard, no background light on the keys.... etc etc.

Calibre 5x is up and running, connecting with the tolino Vision 6 was supposed to be solved and working, but mine is not recognised.
Wether it is due to changes in latest Firmware Update for the tolino Vision 6 or the Mac, I am not sure. Also not sure what system the person (Forrester?) used to write the driver.

openMTP worked after a fresh download&installation. But not tested long, just copying epubs.

Also I had the very first hard crash. Was on a page of a bought epub (Bloodless - Agent Pendergast, Preston&Child), with DRM, when the tolino Vision 6 froze. Had to press off+button for a long time, then the screen blinked, and got a text screen from android with reboot / whipe as a choice, warning me that whiping the system would erase every book, every setting etc. .
Chose reboot and that worked. Picture was taken, will try to upload.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #43
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Ok, no upload, as it wants a URL. Sorry too much work today.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To attach an image to a message, use either the paperclip or the manage attachments in the Additional options below the message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attach_filex.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	191017  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:22 AM   #45
justloveebooks
Enthusiast

Tanks for the help, did not scroll down and never saw the options...
Here is the picture, screen after the tolino Vision 6 crashed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ater-Crash-tolino-Vision6.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	928.3 KB
ID:	191222