Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question night mode

is reading in night mode, white text on black background, actually better for your eyes, or just a gimmick ?

anyone know of any proper research into this, and also into the pros & cons of the sepia & green tints in the Kindle reader app please?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I have read a couple of places, whereI can't recall now, that reading or watching any backlit screen before bedtime, may interfere with sleep.

A read about an hour before going to sleep, and have been using the black background for some time. It seems more restful in a darkened room, but as I sleep like a log anyway, see no difference there.

Seems a good idea doing that for anybody who has sleep problems.

During the day I like black type on a nice bright background. I don't see any value at all using the sepia.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sepia is better on my eyes than Bright White!

Really there is No Answer its up to how your eyes feel.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:08 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well I am reading one book in night mode as a test.
strange blip yesterday though, I opened that book & the entire KF HDX screen immediately went black ( more like a dark gray) with no visible text. No swipes worked so I had to completely power off & restart to clear it. I have not been able to reproduce that glitch since.

I sort of understand amazon's choice of a sepia option - approximates old paper - but how did they come up with lilac ?

is it because they read the article that says it's blue light which most stimulates wakefulness, or did some marketing Muppet choose 'cos it looked cool ?

I think I prefer sepia for day time reading. I see that kindle for PC also has sepia & black, but not lilac !
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had Amazon 1st 7" hd tablet & I now have the Amazon Phone... I only have 3 color choices Black with White words White with Black words & Sepia with black words .... HOW do you folks get all those other colors like Lilac?

A week after this post I got another color! Not sure what its called like a blue-green I LOVE it! makes my phone easy to read even in bright light or dark night! Anyone know what this color is called?

Last edited by Barbara1955; 07-22-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: update
Advert
Old 04-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Lilac is an option with my KF hdx 8.9
Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
My Fire HD6 background color choices for reading are white, green, sepia, and black. I use sepia most often.

It's interesting because I don't notice the color at all after reading for a few minutes. It is easier on my eyes than a white background.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
My Fire HD6 background color choices for reading are white, green, sepia, and black. I use sepia most often.

It's interesting because I don't notice the color at all after reading for a few minutes. It is easier on my eyes than a white background.
Well sure, all you young folks would like sepia. You have to remember, my eyes are 87 years old. Both of 'em, so I need a lot of contrast, hence black on a white ground, with brightness set up about 3/4 of the way, except in evening wen I switch to a black ground.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Sorry But Age don't have much to do with it. Its how the eyes & bran react to different backgrounds, etc
Old 04-27-2015, 01:43 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post

Same here. I don't like white on black or black on white, but sepia seems to be about right on my phone and Fire.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote