Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-06-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
What to expect at a book signing?

I've never been to one, but I just found out that my favorite author will be doing a signing at a local bookstore a few days from now. I'm considering going, because what better first book signing to attend than one by your favorite author?

Specifically, James Rollins at The Boulder Bookstore (Colorado), Feb 10th.

For those of you that may have been to one, are these events typically crowded with long lines to wait for a signing? Do you call ahead to make a reservation or do you just show up? Do authors charge to sign your book? How much? If you already have the book that they are promoting will they sign that copy, or do you have to buy a new copy from the bookstore hosting the event? Do they only sign their newest book that the event promotes, or will they sign an older book that you have? I would prefer the very first book I bought by this author (an old paperback) signed, if possible.

Specific answers to these questions would naturally depend on the author and/or the hosting bookstore, but I'm asking "generally".

Thanks!

p.s. - Is there a presentation by the author that you want to get there at the start to hear, or is it just a signing where you can show up any time during the event?

Last edited by haertig; 02-06-2023 at 12:13 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:13 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I've only been to one signing. The author actually read a passage from their book and then there was a q&a with the author.

About 60 people showed up. It was the author's second book and the bookstore had plenty of copies of each book you could purchase and have the author sign. I already had both books so I brought my own copies. The author was happy to sign either book or both books, whatever people wanted.

This was over 10 years ago at a Barnes & Noble in the Minneapolis area.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Thanks for your response.

I indeed went to the book signing last night. I'm so glad I did. This author, in addition to being my favorite writer, was a really nice and entertaining guy in person. He had lots of fun stories to tell and was very gracious during the Q&A period.

One of the stories the author told was about the troubles he had in getting his first novel published. 49 rejections. Lots of form letter rejections from publishers. And a few encouragements. He said one form letter rejection had a hand written note on the back he was excited to see. But it only said "This is unpublishable!"

When doing book signings at the end, I pulled out my book - a very old one - the first one I had ever purchased of his - still one of my all time favorites - and he grinned, saying, "Ah, the unpublishable novel!" He drew a little picture that depicts a scene from the story that you would recognize if you had read the book.

FWIW, at this bookstore, there was a $5 event fee. But with that they gave you a $5 coupon to buy anything in the store that day, or the $5 could be used forever for the purchase of the author's newest book (the one being promoted last night). I didn't need the coupon, so I gave it to a happy looking fellow with a pile of books in his hands on my way out of the store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SubterraneanSigned.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	199653  
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 03:55 AM   #4
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I only ever went to one signing and it was a very laidback affair. The author sat at a desk with piles of the book to hand, and anyone who wanted a signing just wandered up and asked. The author was polite and charming and it was a pleasant enough thing to attend.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote