Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2022, 06:41 AM   #1
diet1975
diet1975 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Sony PRS T1 (... to brick or not to brick)

Hi all,

A silent reader on this forum here
I have an old Sony PRS T1 for my daughter which was unrooted as far as I know. No updates or what so ever, just the stock firmware.
The reader just was not able to start anymore. i thought it just ran out of batteries so did not pay any attention to it for a while.
Once I try to charge the battery, it went into some sort of loop. Flickering screen -> opening book with no progress in the progress bar -> flickering screen -> opening book with no progress -> etc
I am able to start the reader with a rescue image, connect the book to my computer and login with putty as root.
I have tried to change firmware versions which were available @ https://projects.mobileread.com/read...lash_packages/
Unfortunately no success
I thought that there might be something wrong with the partitioning so I have followed the link below without success:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS...itioning_Guide

Does any of you have a suggestion which might help?

Yes of course, I can buy a new one but if this can be repaired, it would be a better option

Thx for reading and suggestions
diet1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What happens if you plug the T1 into the computer? If you can see the partition, remove this eBook. And then eject and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
diet1975

I already removed all ebooks from this reader. So I'm open for any suggestion
Old 02-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
diet1975

I had a second working reader which I could use....
So I started the reader in rescue mode and connected via Putty to create a backup:
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 /initrd/mnt/sd
#for i in 5 6 7 8 9 10
do
dd if=/dev/mmcblk2p$i of=/initrd/mnt/sd/mmcblk2p$i.img
done

I started the initial boot-looped-reader with the SD with backup files and tried to restore them
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 /initrd/mnt/sd
#for i in 5 6 7 8 10
do
dd if=/initrd/mnt/sd/mmcblk2p$i.img of=/dev/mmcblk2p$i
done

I was thought this might be the working option... but sadly no...
Old 04-30-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
NonaSuomy
NonaSuomy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Try booting the OS from SDCard
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329270
Worked for me (Corrupted downgrade / corrupted eMMC / no wifi / usb crashes or won’t start unit) look further down the thread where they explain it further as it may be possible to just do it all from rupor’s image is depending where your eMMC corruption is. Download the image there as well and flash it to the SDCard it won’t have a serial number or MAC address but wifi will still work fine.
NonaSuomy is offline   Reply With Quote