Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Waterstones eBook store closing

I've just received the following email:

Quote:
Dear XXX,

The Waterstones eBooks store is closing, but we have partnered with Kobo to ensure that you will still be able to access your library of eBook titles purchased with us.

On 14th June 2016 we will send you an email with a personalised link to transfer your eBooks to Kobo.

You will also be able to access your current library on Waterstones.com from now until Monday, 13th June 2016, to ensure we do not interrupt your reading experience.

About Kobo

Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the world’s fastest-growing eReading services, empowering booklovers to read more. With Kobo, you’ll enjoy easy, instant access to their eBookstore of over 5 million of the world’s best eBooks that can be read anywhere, on any device. Plus, you’ll earn Kobo Super Points rewards with every purchase.

So, from the team at Waterstones, we want to extend our thanks to you for using our service and we wish you a happy reading future with Rakuten Kobo.

Important Notice

If you are happy to move your library, you don't need to do anything. In doing so, we will assume you are happy for us to share your Waterstones library with Kobo, so they can provide us with your personalised link to take you through to the library transfer process

If you do NOT wish to transfer your library to Rakuten Kobo, please click here.

If you do not receive the link to transfer your library on or soon after, Tuesday 14th June 2016, then please visit our Contact Us pages to get in touch.

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions page if you would like more information.
This is not good news: the Waterstones bookstore is a lot easier to find things in than Kobo. I guess, though, it continues the trend of recent years of consolidation of the smaller bookstores into a lesser number of large ones.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #2
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Here we go again!

The transfer from WH Smith to Kobo seemed to work out alright. There are always a few that don't make it for one reason or another, so perhaps a good time to download anything you are particularly keen to keep.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Heh, you type faster than me.

What is surprising is the dates, they are rather soon.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Certainly looks as if the UK market is becoming a 2-player one, with Amazon and Kobo.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly looks as if the UK market is becoming a 2-player one, with Amazon and Kobo.
How's Apple's visibility there?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

For books? Virtually non-existent.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Sainsburys & Google are still going as well.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Sainsburys & Google are still going as well.
I only buy from Amazon or Kobo. I've not tried Google Books yet but Sainsburys doesn't sell the genre I read so for me they are a waste of time.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there actual figures for "visibility" in the UK? Or even market share/books sold?

Personally I will not buy iBooks because I am unable to remove the DRM and load the book onto my preferred reading devices.

However I suspect my book buying patterns and that of many users of this forum are atypical and we can't easily say what visibility iBooks has.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
However I suspect my book buying patterns and that of many users of this forum are atypical and we can't easily say what visibility iBooks has.
What I mean is, Chris, that I see Amazon and Kobo advertised all over the place here in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen an advert for iBooks.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
What I mean is, Chris, that I see Amazon and Kobo advertised all over the place here in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen an advert for iBooks.
You see the stores themselves advertised, or are they just included in the "buy from" list on book adverts?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wonder if I have any ebooks from Waterstones? I probably have a few. But I can't check just now because they've updated their website and I need to change my password...

And I'm still having no joy with my transfer from B&N to Sainsbury's. Let's hope this one goes more smoothly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I wonder if I have any ebooks from Waterstones? I probably have a few. But I can't check just now because they've updated their website and I need to change my password...

And I'm still having no joy with my transfer from B&N to Sainsbury's. Let's hope this one goes more smoothly.
I'd have more faith in Kobo not screwing something up than I would in B&N. Especially in this case, Kobo is growing, B&N was shrinking. I'm not saying the process will be without glitches, few transitions like this one are problem free, but I suspect you'll see less.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
For books? Virtually non-existent.
Like Google and Kobo in the US, then.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I must have missed a step somewhere. Last I knew, Waterstones partnered with Amazon for readers, (and I assumed, E-books.).. I know they stopped selling the readers in store, but apparently, they had a separate, non-amazon E-book store, (presumably, Adobe based?)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote