Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #91
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Can confirm in 4.32 the following with Bluetooth

1) Looking at the settings does NOT turn Bluetooth on
2) Turning Bluetooth on does both lag (didn't actually see it turn on as I'd backed out of the setting) AND turns on WiFi
3) Turning off WiFi does not turn off Bluetooth
4) Turning off Bluetooth both lags but for less than time than turning it on did, and does NOT turn off WiFi
5) Turning on Wifi does NOT turn on Bluetooth

Not that I think it really needs to be said, but for any of the above it does or does not automatically do something the reverse state is the current condition. That is to say when disabling WiFi and it not turning off Bluetooth obviously Bluetooth was on, likewise turning on Bluetooth also turning on WiFi obviously WiFi had been off.
I agree, tested on Sage and Elipsa. So only bug now on that is WiFi turning on when you turn on BT. Much less a problem than 4.31.x & 4.30.x
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:43 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
4.32.19501 is now installed along with the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #93
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quick update: While I haven't done any particularly extensive testing, so far USB connections have been behaving far better for me than they did on 4.31. No scan&fix prompts.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #94
JLB14
Enthusiast
JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can't attach files to a PM. But I found the download link straight from Amazon: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/a...y?tag=mr060-20

You have to download a 25MB file of all Amazon fonts, but Bookerly is in there.

Or PM me your email address and I'll email you what I use.
Thanks.
Quick update : same problem with your version (patched firmware : 4.30).
Gone with 4.32
JLB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #95
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
USB problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
However while testing USB connections, my Libra 2 also decided to be not detected at all and reboot upon unplugging the USB cable. This happened twice...

I've had reboot issues with my Libra 2 from day one. Basic reading works fine. But as soon as you try to do anything with it, things get frustrating very quickly. Not sure if my unit is defective, if I broke it attempting to remove the SD card, or if it's just an issue with this model in general.
i had this issue as well. USB connect prompt would come up and seemingly connect (with connected and charging page display). But there was no actual connection to my Linux computer. Tried multiple computers and cables.. nadda.

Then upon removing the cable my Libra 2 would reboot.

Everything worked fine except for being able to connect with a USB cable. So.. am back to firmware release 4.30. (i found 4.31 glitchy).
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 09:36 AM   #96
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.32.19501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Kinda new to Kobo worlds, I tried to check for a new update but I'm still on 4.31

My Clara got the update today, but my Elipsa is still waiting for it, so I will probably manually update it. As others have pointed out, it takes time for the updates to roll out if you just wait for Kobo to send it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 04-16-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #97
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.32.19501

After updating via Wi-Fi, my Clara entered a boot loop. I haven’t had that happen for a while. I let it be for a five minutes, but there was no change, so I powered it off and booted it up. Took me two attempts before I could restore my Clara.

I’m looking forward to testing out the new improvements. Under 4.31.x my Clara would randomly change its light setting to 0%. I also noticed that collections weren’t syncing properly between my Elipsa & my Clara. I’m hoping that those bugs are gone. I’m especially looking forward to the pen input improvements on my Elipsa. The lag can be bad when writing, and frequently the erase button on the stylus is nonfunctional. The notebooks seem to freeze at those times. Anybody else notice those issues before? How has the update been for you?

Update: I updated my Elipsa with no issues. The improved annotation speed on the Elipsa is a welcome change. I tested it on smart and basic notebooks. The writing is quite responsive now. I had grown tired of writing faster than the digitizer could keep up. I also noticed that the eraser button worked as designed. Before, I would have to refresh the page a few times to get it to erase. It was quite glitchy. I’m glad they fixed it.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-16-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #98
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
The way Kobo's been making improvements, I wonder how long it will be before I no longer need patches at all?
I have never used any patches on any of my Kobo readers.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #99
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I installed the patches an hour after getting my first Kobo in 2019. The reading experience just wasn't satisfying without them. Which is kind of weird, considering I came from non-jailbroken Kindles.

Of course tastes differ enormously and I'm sure most people find the out-of-the-box experience entirely adequate.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm just used to the the patches. I have not run without them since way back when in Geoff's day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #101
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You can enable developer mode (put devmodeon in the search bar, then in device info developer options, force wifi on).

In developer mode you can transfer the KoboRoot.tgz and the other files with FTP. You can also check with telnet if the rootfs is full.
Thanks! I think there was some underlying issue though. Factory reset + wifi setup for some reason didn't seem to work, it kept not being recognized by my PC and rebooting once disconnected; a manual factory reset + setup via Kobo Desktop made it go back to normal. It updated once to 4.31 via software and then I updated it manually to 4.32. Still not sure exactly what happened...
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:34 PM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I updated and patched last night. It was neat to skip the Advanced Fonts patch and still have advanced settings show up for my Literata Book.

My patches now are increase cover size (home, series, my books), enable ligatures and hyphenation in kepub, shrink the blank space top and bottom and delete row 3 (which I don't see Kobo doing).

I don't understand why Kobo doesn't do most of that on their own.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #103
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
You don't know what you are missing

Really, most of the home screen patches and stuff... whatever.

But kepub page layout really could use some polish. Why is hyphenation set so high? Why are ligatures disabled? Why is there so much padding at the top and bottom of the screen? Patches fix all of this.

And kepub is Kobo's preferred format after all, so I don't want to hear about 'just read ePub.'

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-16-2022 at 12:43 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #104
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I updated and patched last night. It was neat to skip the Advanced Fonts patch and still have advanced settings show up for my Literata Book.

My patches now are increase cover size (home, series, my books), enable ligatures and hyphenation in kepub, shrink the blank space top and bottom and delete row 3 (which I don't see Kobo doing).

I don't understand why Kobo doesn't do most of that on their own.
Probably because most people aren’t super picky. Look how long it took them to do away with the header which was massive and instead allow us to hide or show it.

Mind you I agree with you these features are things ones I want.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #105
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdothum View Post
i had this issue as well. USB connect prompt would come up and seemingly connect (with connected and charging page display). But there was no actual connection to my Linux computer. Tried multiple computers and cables.. nadda.

Then upon removing the cable my Libra 2 would reboot.
This is what occurred for my Libra 2: Manually installing 4.32 when i checked the firmware version from the "device information" page did not appear to update the version number (whether from 4.30 or 4.31).

What i had to do in my case was manually (re-)install 4.31 THEN do a "sync" software update to get to 4.32 before being able to apply the 4.32 patches. Manually installing 4.32 is an incomplete(?) install that disables USB port connections (at least, on my Libra 2).

Have no idea what actually gets updated with the 4.32 kobo-update files but it fails to change the version number of the firmware at the time of the manual install when attempting to upgrade from an earlier release.

Interestingly, though, the 4.32 kobo-update zip appears to be usable for kobopatch.

Having jumped through these hoops.. not sure these past two releases really buy me anything -- and there appear to be more leftover artifacts (back arrow in particular) left on the text page. i am inclined to go back to 4.30
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release