Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
lucat
lucat began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Cloud Folder not recognized

Hello, I recently changed my phone and my cloud service and now I'm unable to use CC because it does not recognize the right calibre folder in the cloud.

My data folder of calibre is ..\GoogleDrive\CALIBRE like you can see in the picture below. Calibre on PC works perfect.

Moderator Notice
Oversized inline image moved to attachment. 600x600 is the forum limit for inline images. Tnx

The problem like you can see in the following picture is that connecting with my phone I see the "CALIBRE" folder but it is not selectable:

I tried to create a new empty library with calibre and Curiously this one is recognized by CC???
On my PC now I have the following situation and still unable to point to the right folder with CC
Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks in Advance, Luca

Android 9 PKQ1.180904.001
GDrive cloud storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-gdrive-data-position.png
Views:	190
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	171727   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-gdrive-folders.png
Views:	178
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	171728   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2019-05-31-11-16-03.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	171729  

Last edited by theducks; 05-31-2019 at 09:59 AM.
lucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you use a web browser to look at the CALIBRE folder on Drive, is the metadata.db file there with the correct name?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #3
lucat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you use a web browser to look at the CALIBRE folder on Drive, is the metadata.db file there with the correct name?
Thanks for your answer,
Using Browser I can see the right files:

To the moderator: sorry for the oversized images in the first post
Old 06-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucat View Post
Thanks for your answer,
Using Browser I can see the right files:
According to that image you are still looking at the local drive C:\ via the browser. We want you to go to the web and find the directory on GDrive on the web and see if the metadata.db file is there with exactly that name.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
lucat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
According to that image you are still looking at the local drive C:\ via the browser. We want you to go to the web and find the directory on GDrive on the web and see if the metadata.db file is there with exactly that name.
Hello, the file name on web is the same and correct one: "metadata.db"
This is the screenshot:
https://ibb.co/brN6vfH
Advert
Old 06-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hello, the file name on web is the same and correct one: "metadata.db"
This is the screenshot:
https://ibb.co/brN6vfH
2MB
There is hardly anything really there in that Library. (330K seems to be an default-empty library, db)
If that was a functional Library FOLDER, in addition to those 2 files, you should also see Author folders
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The metadata.db file was created on 30 may. Did you make a new copy of your library at that time? It can take a long time to copy a large folder tree.

Have you tried it again? It is possible that the sync to the cloud hadn't finished when you first tried.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 AM   #8
lucat

Hi to all.

I solved the problem doing the following steps:

1) export from calibre the old library that was not recognized
2) import into a new folder
3) delete the old folder

I can't understand where was the problem but... Now it works fine :-)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
lucat

Angry

Quote:
Hi to all.

I solved the problem doing the following steps:

1) export from calibre the old library that was not recognized
2) import into a new folder
3) delete the old folder

I can't understand where was the problem but... Now it works fine :-)
OPS, DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE
I can't believi it.
After I added some books to the library I tryed to reconnect and the problem comes back.
I have to say that using dropbox I never had any problem for 3 years. I was needing more space and GDrive seems to me a perfect solution but...

Is someone using GDrive with Calibre Companion?
If yes did you have any problem?
If yes how did you solve it?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Google Drive is not compatible with Calibre. I suspect the same issue would affect cloud drive.
(Calibre uses the index number, {id}, inside parenthesis. GD also uses those for version control, thus breaking calibre(DB) linkages to folders and files
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OPS, DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE
I can't believi it.
After I added some books to the library I tryed to reconnect and the problem comes back.
I have to say that using dropbox I never had any problem for 3 years. I was needing more space and GDrive seems to me a perfect solution but...
Send me a CC debug log. Perhaps I will see something that explains the problem. This FAQ tells you how.
Quote:
Is someone using GDrive with Calibre Companion?
In May, 39% of Cloud Connection users used OneDrive, 34% used DropBox, 11% used a local library on an SD card, 8% used Drive, 5% used Box, and 3% used Amazon.
Quote:
If yes did you have any problem?
If yes how did you solve it?
No one other than you has reported a problem.

Do note: as theducks pointed out, Drive can destroy your calibre library. That is probably why is isn't very popular.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #12
AnAvidReader
AnAvidReader began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a XL
I have encountered the same issue (and have not migrated from Google Drive due to library size issues). When I view the Calibre Library within the Google Drive browser, metadata.db and metadata_db_pref_backup.json are both present, and when I run Calibre Companion on my new phone, it does not recognize that directory as the library. If there is any additional information I can provide that would help, please let me know.

If it's worth remarking upon, my metadata.db is 4MB.

Thank you for a fantastic program otherwise.
AnAvidReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
see my posts, today, to the dropbox workaround thread. I spent most of a day making a copy to google drive [ because my new tablet cant get into dropbox ] and I have exactly the same problem. there's 3+ GB now at google drive on the web. all the special .db files are present and same size as local. google backup and sync has finished ( as that was newly installed today), CC gets into google drive cloud i.e. authenticates ok, then does not accept that the calibre library folder there is actually a calibre library !

cc v 5.4. 3.3 from play store today

Last edited by stumped; 07-26-2019 at 12:02 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

stranger and stranger
so I go to my old tablet _ the one that connects to dropbox. I dare not disconnect that but I set it to use both dropbox and google drive
I get it into google drive and same issue as with new device, it does not accept there is a calibre library in there. it sees a folder called calibre library, I can select it, repeatedly, and end up with a path of calibre library/calibre library/calibre library but not matter how I go back and forth with that, its not working.
dropbox still works on that device.
calibre 5.4.4.1 on that one - a direct download. so 2 different versions of the app are failing on 2 devices
I can only guess, due to lack of other complaints, that google drive works for folks who already have it working but that , like dropbox, it is broken for new sign ups ?

how exactly is CC testing for the presence of a calibre library- is it looking for a metadata.db file? I have one of those ! or is it also trying to validate that .db somehow ?
what logs would help, and from where ?
Old 07-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

ps a google search finds this ( undated) statement - even more confusing:

Note: CC Android no longer supports Google Drive. That support ended when Google stopped supporting the feature that CC uses to login to a cloud provider.

Related entries

Author:
Charles Haley
Revision:
You cannot comment on this entry

so have I just spent most of a day on a wild goose chase ?
thing is- the actual initial login in works fine, google alerts me to a new connection to my google drive, as it should, and I can see all the folders therein...
i even went back through the whole chain, remaing caliber Library to Calibre. did not help. CC now sees a folder called calibre in G drive, and if I wait long enough it will show all the author subfolders... but CC does not recognise it as a library

Last edited by stumped; 07-26-2019 at 12:01 PM.