Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
nicolas161
Enthusiast
nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Ad blocker for Kobo web browser

I have lurked the mobileread forums for years, and I have found very useful information. Now it's time to try to give something back to the community, although really simple.

This needs testing, but in theory it works.

What this does is install a custom hosts file on the memory of the reader that blocks undesired domains and ads, making the web a bit faster. The hosts file is taken from a famous Github repository here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...s/master/hosts

In order to install this, you only need to download the adblock.zip file and unzip it, copying the resulting KoboRoot.tgz file to your .kobo folder and let the thing do the work for you. It is really quick. Once this is done, this should block all undesired advertising when you browse the web with your Kobo.

It needs some testing to make sure that it works, but since I haven't seen any ad since I installed it, it seems that it works fine.

Please tell me if it works for you, and sorry for the bad English.

Attached Files
File Type: zip adblock.zip (416.3 KB, 681 views)

Last edited by nicolas161; 03-10-2018 at 11:42 PM.
nicolas161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas161 View Post
I have lurked the mobileread forums for years, and I have found very useful information. Now it's time to try to give something back to the community, although really simple.

This needs testing, but in theory it works.

What this does is install a custom hosts file on the memory of the reader that blocks undesired domains and ads, making the web a bit faster. The hosts file is taken from a famous Github repository here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...s/master/hosts

In order to install this, you only need to download the adblock.zip file and unzip it, copying the resulting KoboRoot.tgz file to your .kobo folder and let the thing do the work for you. It is really quick. Once this is done, this should block all undesired advertising when you browse the web with your Kobo.

It needs some testing to make sure that it works, but since I haven't seen any ad since I installed it, it seems that it works fine.

Please tell me if it works for you, and sorry for the bad English.

It works for me. At least it seems! Thank you very much for this!
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert