Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
arakish
arakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheese

Device: PC
Thumbs down Relocation After Saving

This is the most annoying thing I have seen in any program.

I am currently on converting series of rather long XHTML files into Sigil.

Whenever I do a save on the EPUB file, the cursor goes to the top of the file when in the Code View window. It is frustratingly annoying when I am working on a loonnngggg document. After saving, I then have to scroll all that way back to where I was.

Fix the code that resets the cursor position, instead write the code so the cursor stays right where it is after saving.

Do not know if anyone else has this problem. Perhaps it ain't annoying to them. For me is more annoying than having a root canal.

rmfr
arakish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:26 AM   #2
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Never noticed that. But on my computers (Win/Mac) it doesnt jump to the top but to the starting block tag. If i position the cursor inside a <p> element near the ending tag </p> the position is right before the starting tag afterwards.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I agree with Maui (using Sigil Portable Version 0.8.6 and 0.9.9, both on Win7 and Win10), and never saw that. To help the developers to help you fix your problem, please provide your OS and what version of Sigil you are using.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Because I avoid the using the mouse I notice this.

It's particularly noticeable if I do the Ctrl+Shift+S when the insertion point is in the middle of a paragraph which has its opening tag off the top of the cv window. After the save the cv window scrolls so as to position the opening tag, where the insertion point now is, at the top of the window.

Why haven't I raised it before? As well as being mouse averse, I'm also fault tolerant

Aside : MS has a setting that provides indication of where the mouse pointer is located when you press a Ctrl key (a bullseye thingy pops for second), but I've never been able to find an equivalent for the insertion point, which IMO is far more easily lost. Anyone know of anything?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This is an artifact of having to sync cursor between BookView and CodeView. To position a cursor in BookView, you need to go to the enclosing block tag. Codeview cursor positions are stored in a similar manner. To see effectively the same thing, put your cursor someplace in the middle of a long paragraph and the switch to BookView, reposition the cursor and then switch back to CodeView.

We have pretty much closed the tree to non-crashing issues in preparation for a release, so this "terrible" bug (chuckle!) will have to wait until a future release unless it turns out to be a very very simple fix.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Luckily, not a hard problem to fix (assuming the fix doesn't break anything). I have pushed it to master so it should make this upcoming release unless it impacts something else.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
arakish
arakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheese

I have found one very small work around. Dbl-Clk a word near where you want the cursor to stay, thus selecting the word. Then when you switch between the view modes, that is where the cursor shall stay. It also works when you do a Ctrl+S, or clicking the Save button.

However, it still needs to be fixed. No one should have to take special actions to prevent the program from automatically moving the cursor to very top of the document view window (either one) when switching views or saving.

rmfr

Addenda: Oh, it must be word in the actual text, not a word in the tags.

Last edited by arakish; 07-11-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Addenda
Old 07-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakish View Post
However, it still needs to be fixed. No one should have to take special actions to prevent the program from automatically moving the cursor to very top of the document view window (either one) when switching views or savie..
Look one post up from yours.
And clearly, you've never had a root canal.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2018 at 06:20 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Just out of curiosity, does the cursor jumping to the start of the long document mean that it only contains a single giant block?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
That was my thought, too..... Oh and Congrats on your 2500th post!!!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That was my thought, too..... Oh and Congrats on your 2500th post!!!!
OMG! I didn't even notice that. That's way more than I imagined. But thanks!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #12
arakish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Just out of curiosity, does the cursor jumping to the start of the long document mean that it only contains a single giant block?
No. It has smaller sections, but it is one large coherent grouping of sections.

Yes, I could bust it up into a mess load of smaller pages, but that would break up the coherency of the "Chapter".

rmfr
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@arakish - FWIW: I've found it goes to the beginning of the current block, can't say I've noticed jumping to top of current file. In my case that's usually a paragraph e.g. <p| class....

@KevinH - on reflection, I suspect the main reason it has never bothered me much is because I would normally do a save when I complete a 'task' - e.g. fixing broken dialogue, spell checking, straightening out a table, etc. So where I was is more or less irrelevant, because it's unlikely to be where I want to be for the next task

BR
Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #14
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I suspect the main reason it has never bothered me much is because I would normally do a save when I complete a 'task'
Similar to me As Sigil is stable like a rock i'm doing a save in between only when i'm doing risky stuff myself, e.g. complex regex.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Similar to me As Sigil is stable like a rock i'm doing a save in between only when i'm doing risky stuff myself, e.g. complex regex.
Sigil may be rock-like stable, but I'm not. I'm of an age where everything I do is risky Two of my long-standing maxims are Save Frequently and Backup Habitually - the older I get, the more apposite they get

BR