Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, it's not safe to assume. If I had bad service and wanted to post about it, it would be bad service and not an opinion. If it was pointed out that I was incorrect, I would ask for the topic to be changed. This is an opinion that's written like it is a fact and it does indeed need to be changed. If it's not changed, then staff is not doing their job and fixing a seriously incorrect topic that can cause others to think Kobo's customer service is that bad and thus, they won't buy. What we have here is SLANDER and not changing the topic is MR allowing slander.
Jon, of the two evils, our policy of only changing a title at OP request or for TOU violation is by far the better one. People can say what they want so long as it doesn't contravene the guidelines. And CS is always a matter of inflammatory opinion!

By the way, the word you want is libel, not slander.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #47
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Actually, stating an opinion is not technically slander.

I fully agree with you that OP's opinion is wrong, and that it's entirely unreasonable to expect any company anywhere to lift a finger for a customer who's problem is physical damage to a device that's over a year out of warranty. But frustrated venting about not having those unrealistic expectations met, does not constitute either libel or slander. If it did, everyone who has ever vented on Facebook, Twitter, or a forum, about a bad experience they had with a company that made a reasonable effort, could potentially be in serious legal trouble.

Yes, the thread title says Kobo has bad customer service, which most of us think is wrong. But there are multiple thread titles in this forum that either strongly imply or actually spell out, that Kobo devices are pieces of garbage that barely ever work as advertised,and we know that to be wrong for a fact. Should we change those thread titles as well, so we don't make Kobo look bad?

That was a rhetorical question. This is a forum on the internet. Anyone who comes here to do research should know better than to take thread titles like this at face value.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Actually, stating an opinion is not technically slander.
But it HAS to be stated as an opinion. This is not stated as an opinion. So it is libel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jon, you can whine about it as long as you wish, but it ain't changing, so there's really no point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #50
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
But it HAS to be stated as an opinion. This is not stated as an opinion. So it is libel.
This is the internet. Unless something is actually labelled "proven fact", it's an opinion.

Everybody knows better than to assume otherwise.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #51
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
This is the internet. Unless something is actually labelled "proven fact", it's an opinion.

Everybody knows better than to assume otherwise.
This. And anyone who is foolish enough to form a concrete opinion by just reading the subject of posts deserves all the misinformation they get.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
By the way, the word you want is libel, not slander.
Thank you
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #53
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
From what the OP wrote, there was nothing wrong with CS exceot offering a discount on a 6" device.But that is something I would have mentioned to them to see if they might be willing to give a discount on a 6.8" device.
For all we know, the OP told them it was an Aura, which is a 6 inch device. That's what they've said they have in this thread title and in the sidebar.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
I have had my Aura HD for two years
Actually, that's two years and nine months, a not insignificant difference.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #55
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I once called Kobo because the ebook I bought was defective (only half of it was included in the file). It took me a whopping 30 minutes on the phone to resolve that simple situation. When I had a similar issue with Amazon, I was off the phone in under 3 minutes.

Whether the resolution is satisfactory or not, needing to spend so long on the phone while a CS rep hums and haws makes for a bad experience.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #56
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
So where's the OP in this raging controversy? I think Lima7 must be completely taken aback by the sh**storm he/she has started.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
So where's the OP in this raging controversy? I think Lima7 must be completely taken aback by the sh**storm he/she has started.
Lima7 hasn't been back since his post. I await what he has to say if he does come back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I once called Kobo because the ebook I bought was defective (only half of it was included in the file). It took me a whopping 30 minutes on the phone to resolve that simple situation. When I had a similar issue with Amazon, I was off the phone in under 3 minutes.

Whether the resolution is satisfactory or not, needing to spend so long on the phone while a CS rep hums and haws makes for a bad experience.
When I purchased The Compleat Traveller in Black by John Brunner and it turned out to be the incomplete version without the last Traveller in Black story, it took about 5 minutes on the phone. Explained the issue to the CS rep, gave him the book's information (title, ISBN, etc.) along with my email address. About 20 minutes later, got an email that the issue was confirmed and I would be issued a refund.

I had a similar issue with an ebook from Amazon where the website showed the book contained the last novel in the series plus an extra story set in the same universe while the copy I received lacked the extra. The book was purchased from Amazon.com back when Canadians were allowed to purchase ebooks from that site and the CS rep was not happy having to deal with an international order and wanted to refer me to Amazon.ca's customer service. After 10 minutes, I was bumped up the ladder. After another 30 minutes, I finally got the refund I was asking for. Thank ghod for speakerphones so I could keep busy with other stuff while waiting.

I've found all too often that the CS experience depends on the rep you talk to. Some are good, some are bad and some should be taken out back and fed to the alligators.

OTOH, compared to B&N and Fictionwise, Amazon's moving their Canadian customers to Amazon.ca was painful but at least most of your ebooks made the transfer. Unlike B&N who informed all their Fictionwise customers outside the US and UK, that they were not able to create a B&N account so download now or wave goodbye to your ebooks.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #59
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm going to have so much fun quoting these words back at you in the coming years
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I purchased The Compleat Traveller in Black by John Brunner and it turned out to be the incomplete version without the last Traveller in Black story, it took about 5 minutes on the phone. Explained the issue to the CS rep, gave him the book's information (title, ISBN, etc.) along with my email address. About 20 minutes later, got an email that the issue was confirmed and I would be issued a refund.

I had a similar issue with an ebook from Amazon where the website showed the book contained the last novel in the series plus an extra story set in the same universe while the copy I received lacked the extra. The book was purchased from Amazon.com back when Canadians were allowed to purchase ebooks from that site and the CS rep was not happy having to deal with an international order and wanted to refer me to Amazon.ca's customer service. After 10 minutes, I was bumped up the ladder. After another 30 minutes, I finally got the refund I was asking for. Thank ghod for speakerphones so I could keep busy with other stuff while waiting.

I've found all too often that the CS experience depends on the rep you talk to. Some are good, some are bad and some should be taken out back and fed to the alligators.

OTOH, compared to B&N and Fictionwise, Amazon's moving their Canadian customers to Amazon.ca was painful but at least most of your ebooks made the transfer. Unlike B&N who informed all their Fictionwise customers outside the US and UK, that they were not able to create a B&N account so download now or wave goodbye to your ebooks.
I seem to have consistant bad service with Kobo CS. The tipping point for me: when I purchased an H20, I received a coupon (% off a book), and CS couldn't get it working. They had me jumping through hoops trying to get it to work, they couldn't get it working, and I didn't receive a replacement coupon. I've given up on Kobo CS.

Where as with Amazon, I almost always get good CS.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote