Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess. But then the Bookeen isn't exactly an option in the US, yet we still manage to get one if we want it bad enough
Sure - I agree. Just saying that this device and the Nook aren't really competitors .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure - I agree. Just saying that this device and the Nook aren't really competitors .
Okay. Lets try this another way then: For the price of the Bookeen Saga you could get a Kindle Paperwhite which has a better screen and the Amazon book store.

Don't get me wrong. I like the physical design of the Saga. But the button layout is weird. The (admittedly neat) attached case could be problematic if it rips and with that screen resolution it feels overpriced.

You could say that it is priced comparably with the Aura Edition 2, but Kobo's software seems to be miles better than Bookeens (based on the video reviews I've seen). And there have been many grumbles about the Aura E2 feeling like a step backwards.

I'm not an expert. Just another blowhard spouting opinions on the internet.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay. Lets try this another way then: For the price of the Bookeen Saga you could get a Kindle Paperwhite which has a better screen and the Amazon book store.
Yes, I made much the same comment myself earlier in the thread. For somewhat less money, the Kindle has half the storage, but a significantly better screen. Really a question of whether you prefer the Amazon or the ePub world.

I'm in two minds about the built-in case. Saves you money on the one hand, but what it gets damaged, or you just don't like it?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I made much the same comment myself earlier in the thread. For somewhat less money, the Kindle has half the storage, but a significantly better screen. Really a question of whether you prefer the Amazon or the ePub world.

I'm in two minds about the built-in case. Saves you money on the one hand, but what it gets damaged, or you just don't like it?
If you don't like it, you really shouldn't buy it in the first place. It's not like you didn't know before hand

I think the array of colors for the Saga reminds me a bit of the doomed iPhone 5C and that may be part of what's prejudicing me to say that the device should be cheaper.

I do appreciate that with the Oasis, the GlowLight 3 and the Bookeen Saga e-readers have been trying to move away from the touchscreen slab. And the return of buttons is welcome.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So why is Bookeen releasing a new Reader with RMSDK 10 instead of RMSDK 11?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #21
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Bookeen did it with the Opus long before the Oasis was a gleam in Amazon's eye.
didn't know this. thanks. but still on point. bookeen did it before. now they do it again. what's innovative about this reader?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
didn't know this. thanks. but still on point. bookeen did it before. now they do it again. what's innovative about this reader?
I think the design of the shell is innovative (for ereaders). The internals and screen are nothing to write home about. But the silicone case and button layout are unique.

If the page back/forward buttons were reversed and if the price was around $80.00, I'd buy one.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why is Bookeen releasing a new Reader with RMSDK 10 instead of RMSDK 11?
Where do you get that from? A quick search didn't show any evidence for which is being used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't think we're going to know much about which of these, the Bookeen or the Nook, will be the better devices till we see some actual reviews and even then not for a few weeks till the more subtle problems and benefits have been found.

Personally I think it's nice that the readers of the world are getting more options and even more innovation.

By the way, innovative as the Bookeen seems to be I wonder if the Nook isn't even more innovative; going back to something people liked at lot instead of trying to come up with something new. Nooks latest attempts at something new weren't that great. It took a bit of original thinking to walk things back like this and original thinking isn't something B&N is known for lately.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where do you get that from? A quick search didn't show any evidence for which is being used.
https://bookeen.com/pages/bookeen-saga

Quote:
Web Browser/OS: Linux/Adobe Reader Mobile: SDK 10/supported ebook standards: EPub, PDF, Adobe ® DRM, HTML, TXT, FB2,
Bookeen posted it in the technical specifications.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:42 AM   #26
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
This looks like the cover cannot be removed, is this correct?

On my Kobo, I have a soft enough cover that it can be bent backwards, so the ereader only takes as much space as if it was without cover - very useful when reading in cramped spaces. I wouldn't like to do this with a cover that could not be changed if needed. I also like to occasionally remove the cover to make the whole thing lighter (but then, my ereader is rather larger than this one, so probably heavier).
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
That's correct, yes.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I don't think we're going to know much about which of these, the Bookeen or the Nook, will be the better devices till we see some actual reviews and even then not for a few weeks till the more subtle problems and benefits have been found.
Barry, there is a review for the Saga out there already (as the Nolim). It's a Goodereader review, but you take what you can get.

Quote:
Personally I think it's nice that the readers of the world are getting more options and even more innovation.

By the way, innovative as the Bookeen seems to be I wonder if the Nook isn't even more innovative; going back to something people liked at lot instead of trying to come up with something new. Nooks latest attempts at something new weren't that great. It took a bit of original thinking to walk things back like this and original thinking isn't something B&N is known for lately.

Barry
That I can't argue with. I was a big cheerleader for the Glowlight 3, except for the partitioned storage.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post

On my Kobo, I have a soft enough cover that it can be bent backwards, so the ereader only takes as much space as if it was without cover - very useful when reading in cramped spaces. I wouldn't like to do this with a cover that could not be changed if needed. I also like to occasionally remove the cover to make the whole thing lighter (but then, my ereader is rather larger than this one, so probably heavier).
The cover can not be removed, but it is made of silicone and the spine is the thinnest part, so the cover can be folded all the way back.

It's a shame, really, that the reader isn't waterproof. If that silicone case got too dirty, you could just wash the whole device in your sink.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #30
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Barry, there is a review for the Saga out there already (as the Nolim). It's a Goodereader review, but you take what you can get.
Thanks for that video. Goodereader's reviews are often confused but they do pack in a lot of information, even though it's often obvious they don't really understand it all.

This one in particular was useful, giving a good look through the device. I really like the look of the interface. It's simpler than the Kindle/Nook/Kobo interfaces and more straightforward and with nice large text. If it ever gets an English dictionary I might find it tempting.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote