Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
RTF files with wrong DOC extension - batch identify and rename?

Hello community,

I have a number of *.doc files but some of them are not really Word documents, but actually are RTF files with a wrong .doc extension.
If I open this kind of file in a plain text editor such as Notepad++ i can see the RTF syntax, so they are really RTF files.
Normally, if DOC files are associated in windows with a viewer that also supports RTF (most of them do) one wouldn't even't notice that the DOC file is not a doc file, but a RTF.
The problem is that in some circumstances such as with programs that use Microsoft's wordconv.exe utility (included with the "Office Compatibility Pack") to batch convert doc files to docx, the RTF files won't be converted and lead to errors/software freezeing depending on the software. The same applies with the doc-to-docx plugin in calibre.

In an older post (here) someone was mentioning that ther is a tool that is able to automatically scan for RTF files with wrong DOC extension and rename them.
Does anyone know about such tool?

Thank you.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The linux `file` command tests files for file content, and does not look at the file extension. It will correctly identify an RTF misnamed as a DOC.

You could use that command in Cygwin on Windows, or ... quickly googles ... awesome, gnuwin32 has a native windows binary here: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

Should be simple to write a batch script to test the output (e.g. "sample.doc: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI") and if it matches RTF, then do a `ren sample.doc sample.rtf`.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The following simple batch file should do the job, if the .rtf files were originally created with Word or Wordpad. (Even though it's highly unlikely that it'll damage any of your files you may want to backup your Word documents before running it.)

Code:
FOR %%f IN ("*.doc") DO  (
    findstr /m /c:"rtf1" %%f && REN "%%f" "%%~nf.rtf"
)
Simply copy the above code to a text file, rename it to word.cmd, copy it to the folder with the word files and double-click on it. (The batch file will automatically rename all .rtf files with a .doc extension to .rtf files.)

@eschwartz: findstr is the Windows equivalent of grep.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
rebl
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I had to put an additional double quotes pair because the file names contain spaces, but after that it worked fine:
FOR %%f IN ("*.doc") DO (
findstr /m /c:"rtf1" "%%f" && REN "%%f" "%%~nf.rtf"
)

I think a bulk rename utiliy with file search capabilities would be good for this task too, especially when working in multiple folders (but Flexible Renamer doesn't filter files by file content). Or I suppose the FOR loop could be modified to search recursively with a modified syntax (the /R parameter?). I know some ms-dos, but not good enough for this.

I tried to modify the batch file to work recursively for all doc files:
Code:
D:
CD "D:\testRTF"
FOR /R "D:\testRTF" %%f IN ("*.doc") DO  (
findstr /m /c:"rtf1" "%%f" && REN "%%f" "%%~nf.rtf"
)
PAUSE
REM REN "%%f" "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf.rtf"
Initially I used a wrong syntax for REN: REN "%%f" "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf.rtf" and I was getting an error (becuase the new file name musn't include the parth).

Last edited by rebl; 05-25-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
rebl

I am trying to optimize the above batch file for working on a large number of files.
I was wondering if the findstr in the sintax above looks for the string "rtf1" throughout the whole file - that could take quite a long time. If the string is not found in the first line, the file should be skipped.
I found that the /B option is for matching the string only at the beginning of a line, but I couldn't find any option for matching the beginning of the file.
Also, I'm wondering if i could use "{\rtf1" for the string (should I escape the "\")?

It seems "{\rtf" works, I'm not sure if with \B is really faster but here is what I'm going to test:

Code:
PAUSE
D:
CD "D:\FolderName"
FOR /R "D:\FolderName" %%f IN ("*.doc") DO  (
findstr /B /M /C:"{\rtf" "%%f" && REN "%%f" "%%~nf.rtf"
)
PAUSE

Last edited by rebl; 05-25-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
It seems "{\rtf" works, I'm not sure if with \B is really faster but here is what I'm going to test:
If you add the /R switch and remove the /B switch you could use a regular expression, but I doubt that it'd make the batch file run faster:

Code:
findstr /R /M /c:"^\{\\rtf1" "%%f" && REN "%%f" "%%~nf.rtf"
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 AM   #7
rebl

Thank you, I've read about that too, but the regex only offers beginning of line option, so it's the same as /B.
Nevertheless the batch script has run quite fast even without the /B option. Though, I prefer to use it - maybe it makes a difference.
I was able to rename all (I suppose) rtf files.
Thank you again for the help!