Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I recently finished my worst-narrated book ever, Emperior Dowager Cixi as narrated by Jolene Kim. Bad enough were the mispronunciations and the way she'd correct herself when she misspoke (and where was the producer?!), but unendurable was her habit of breaking up the text where there were no punctuation marks. So it was hour upon hour of jerky pacing with pauses where they made no sense whatsoever. I'd have abandoned it except I was listening to it for the lit club and I wasn't able to read.

There are a few scathing comments at Audible, so it's not just me. I borrowed it from OverDrive so I can't weigh in, but at least I didn't blow a credit on it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Grover Gardner reading Shelby Foote's The Civil War. He was so slow.

William Dufris, however, I listened to for the nine books of Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series (so far). He has been excellent! I was very surprised that a couple people didn't like him.

Last edited by RDaneel54; 10-05-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: To correct autocorrect error.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
William Dufris, however, I listened to for the nine books of Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series (so far). He has been excellent! I was very surprised that a couple people didn't like him.
For many narrators it can often depend on the book they're performing. At least that's my experience.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Who won?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #20
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

It's a shame we couldn't have Shelby Foote reading Shelby Foote's Civil war. He had a wonderful voice.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I liked Gardner's reading of The Civil War, but I admit I bumped up the speed on the OverDrive app.

"Fastering", I've found, makes a lot of books enjoyable that would have had me pulling my hair otherwise. Non-fiction in particular almost always benefits from a nudge up to 1.25X.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I liked Gardner's reading of The Civil War, but I admit I bumped up the speed on the OverDrive app.

"Fastering", I've found, makes a lot of books enjoyable that would have had me pulling my hair otherwise. Non-fiction in particular almost always benefits from a nudge up to 1.25X.
I like chipmunk speed
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Chipmunk chatter is what it sounds like to me. I can't deal with bumping up the speed, anymore than I can fast-forward through a movie. I've tried a couple of times when I'm considering a 30+ hour book, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe if the Clip Zip had some reasonable incremental increases ...
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Chipmunk chatter is what it sounds like to me. I can't deal with bumping up the speed, anymore than I can fast-forward through a movie. I've tried a couple of times when I'm considering a 30+ hour book, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe if the Clip Zip had some reasonable incremental increases ...
The Clip Zip speed up really is chipmunk chatter. But the speed increases on the OverDrive and Audible apps are phenomenal. At 1.25X I can't detect it and even higher speeds don't sound like Alvin. If you have a smartphone it would be worth downloading the Audible app and giving it a try.

And yes, it can be the clincher for some of the longer books. Sooner or later, I'll get sick of even the most enthralling book once it hits 20 hours, say. This is why my Clip Zip is mostly gathering dust.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #25
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've found myself using 1.25x, and even 1.5x, when the narrator is really, really, reading slowwwwwly. I don't mean just speaking slowly, but dragging each word ouuuuut. Often when I speed it up, it normalizes the speech for me.

Speeding it up does give it an odd sound quality otherwise, kind of like odd little blurps, so I prefer to keep it at 1x unless I just can't take how far the words are being drawn out.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #26
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Not a worse narrator ever per se but something that drives me batty in an audiobook production is the inclusion of musical interludes in between chapters or worse still at dramatic moments. This pulls me out of the narrative and is a pet hate. My current listen is 5th in the Virgil Flowers series not sure why they've put music on this one and not the previous books in the series
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
In Sweden we have two philosophies of narrating, depending on if it's a commercial audiobook or an audiobook (called a "talbok") produced by the Swedish Agency for Accessible Media. The talbok are narrated with as neutral a reading style as possible so as not to influence the interpretation of the text more than is necessary.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's a shame we couldn't have Shelby Foote reading Shelby Foote's Civil war. He had a wonderful voice.
You are so right. I could listen to him for hours; not just because of his voice but because of his almost casual and intimate knowledge of the time period.

I saw him on a plane to Memphis once. I was too shy to say anything. Later, I heard him say in an interview that he wasn't too crazy about being approached for autographs, etc. Glad I was shy.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #29
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Who won?
I'm going to guess that the North did, but at the speed Gardner was reading the three books I was afraid it would take longer than the war lasted to find out.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
In Sweden we have two philosophies of narrating, depending on if it's a commercial audiobook or an audiobook (called a "talbok") produced by the Swedish Agency for Accessible Media. The talbok are narrated with as neutral a reading style as possible so as not to influence the interpretation of the text more than is necessary.
I like that.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote