Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtroter View Post
I'm preparing a Kobo Glo HD for a friend. Don't wanna have to reset it when I give it to her. I want KOReader to be present, with some customisation
How do you know your friend doesn't want the Kobo properly registered with a working account to be able to buy eBooks? You are assuming too much when you fake register it. Also, unless your friend it going to read ePub on the Glo HD (which I do not recommend on a 6" eInk screen), there's no reason to add KOReader. The native reading software will do just fine.

If you do fake register it for your friend, you could end up screwing your friend if some new firmware no longer accepts the fake registration. It's already happened once. Besides, if it's not because of paranoia, then don't do it. You friend should have the option to buy eBooks on Kobo or not using the Glo HD.. You are taking that away from your friend. You assumption here is not being a good friend.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Couldn't webtroter fake register (or bypass registration) and than the person he's giving it to could log out and log in to register it, if they want to?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Couldn't webtroter fake register (or bypass registration) and than the person he's giving it to could log out and log in to register it, if they want to?
It would be easier to not register it at all and let the new owner do it from the start. Unless the new owner is told about the fake registration, then the new owner might start using it and when it does come time to reregiter, too much could get removed like any highlights/bookmarks. And if the new own is not told of the fake registration, then possibly the question of why cannot books be purchased and/or downloaded. It's easier to do it right the first time.

I know I'd not be happy if it was fke registered for me before I was given the choice.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-24-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #34
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Of course you’re assuming webrooter hasn’t had this conversation with the recipient.

Does a log out log in wipe the user partition? From what I recall it doesn’t, or at least doesn’t anymore. So getting KOReader installed as an option with a skipped registration would be fine.

In any case it’s between the giver and the recipient.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Of course you’re assuming webrooter hasn’t had this conversation with the recipient.

Does a log out log in wipe the user partition? From what I recall it doesn’t, or at least doesn’t anymore. So getting KOReader installed as an option with a skipped registration would be fine.

In any case it’s between the giver and the recipient.
And I assume patches would survive the logout/ login
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #36
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, unless your friend it going to read ePub on the Glo HD (which I do not recommend on a 6" eInk screen), there's no reason to add KOReader.
Weird, I thought ePubs were your format of choice. And I wouldn't have thought a 6" eInk screens would be particularly bad for reading ePubs....

Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And I assume patches would survive the logout/ login
Yes, the patches will survive a logout/login as they are part of the firmware. But the database will be wiped clean. It's best to setup the Kobo properly from the start.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #38
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Firmware 4.22.15268 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
can´t find it at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avresbo View Post
That's because that's the wrong URL to use to get the latest firmware. This is the correct URL.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

But before you install it, you need to install 4.22.15190> Then you have to extract Koboroot.tpz from the ZIP for 4.22.15268 and manually install that.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #40
gabryele
Connoisseur
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
sorry I didn't write ..only KoboRoot.tgz
why only KoboRoot.tgz and how only KoboRoot.tgz?
put KoboRoot.tgz in \.kobo?
gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabryele View Post
why only KoboRoot.tgz and how only KoboRoot.tgz?
put KoboRoot.tgz in \.kobo?
The kernel/system level updates are in the upgrade directory. For the most part other than some model specific images in etc/images, the KoboRoot.tgz is hardware agnostic. In theory, the code used to install the kernel/system packages checks for a hardware match but why take an unnecessary chance?

For a manual update, you need to unzip the kobo-update-whatever.zip package before copying to your Kobo ereader so you would unzip and copy only the KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory on your Kobo ereader.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #42
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
Thanks David for your explanations.
@ Gabryel: in any case I think you can do the manual upgrade just for play a little bit. For me I like to play with two kobo that I don't use to read,and both have a removable micro sd.The others Kobo are updated with the specific fw.

Last edited by Cesco; 07-29-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release