Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Calibre creates new icon in taskbar when launched

I'll try my best to explain the situation.

Calibre is creating a new icon when I click on the pinned icon in the taskbar and I have to use this new one to minimize etc.

Is it possible for this new icon not to show and I can minimize using my original pinned icon?

It's taking up extra space on the taskbar.
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
I'll try my best to explain the situation.

Calibre is creating a new icon when I click on the pinned icon in the taskbar and I have to use this new one to minimize etc.

Is it possible for this new icon not to show and I can minimize using my original pinned icon?

It's taking up extra space on the taskbar.
This should solve your problem.

https://uk.pcmag.com/how-to/91319/7-...ows-10-taskbar
Quote:
De-Clutter

Here's another way to set how icons fit on the taskbar. Scroll down the Taskbar settings screen until you see the section for "Combine taskbar buttons." Click on the drop-down box beneath, and you'll see three options: "Always, hide labels," "When taskbar is full," and "Never."

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-03-2020 at 08:21 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which version of calibre, and which OS and version?

If Windows 10 and calibre 4.x try this:
  • with calibre not running unpin the existing taskbar icon;
  • start calibre from Start Menu or WinKey+R, calibre, Enter;
  • right click the taskbar icon and pin it;
  • close calibre;
  • move the icon to where you want it
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which version of calibre, and which OS and version?

If Windows 10 and calibre 4.x try this:
  • with calibre not running unpin the existing taskbar icon;
  • start calibre from Start Menu or WinKey+R, calibre, Enter;
  • right click the taskbar icon and pin it;
  • close calibre;
  • move the icon to where you want it
BR
That did it. Thanks so much
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
I've got the same problem as @Kraftwerk, and I've tried @BetterRed's solution, which isn't working for me, unfortunately. I've made sure the taskbar icon is pointing directly to the application file, not a shortcut, but no good.

Don't know if it's relevant but the problem started after I'd re-installed Windows10 and Calibre (4.22). I'd previously backed up Calibre's configuration settings from my user profile and (after reinstallation) copied them over the new configuration settings (not sure how else I should have backed up and restored these).

I've tried installing 4.23 on top of 4.22, but that hasn't solved the double icon on the taskbar problem.
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie W View Post
I've got the same problem as @Kraftwerk, and I've tried @BetterRed's solution, which isn't working for me, unfortunately. I've made sure the taskbar icon is pointing directly to the application file, not a shortcut, but no good.

Don't know if it's relevant but the problem started after I'd re-installed Windows10 and Calibre (4.22). I'd previously backed up Calibre's configuration settings from my user profile and (after reinstallation) copied them over the new configuration settings (not sure how else I should have backed up and restored these).

I've tried installing 4.23 on top of 4.22, but that hasn't solved the double icon on the taskbar problem.
You din unpin any calibre taskbar icons BEFORE starting Calibre?
This solution has worked for me on 3 PC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You din unpin any calibre taskbar icons BEFORE starting Calibre?
This solution has worked for me on 3 PC
Yes, I unpinned Calibre from the taskbar before starting it, I made sure I started it from the programme itself (not a shortcut) and I pinned the running programme icon. It's a technique that's worked on other programmes so I'm a bit baffled why it's not working here too.

Last edited by Georgie W; 12-07-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I unpinned Calibre from the taskbar before starting it, I made sure I started it from the programme itself (not a shortcut) and I pinned the running programme icon. It's a technique that's worked on other programmes so I'm a bit baffled why it's not working here too.
Try creating shortcut to calibre.exe in the %APPDATA%Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\

There's a 'wizard' for creating shortcuts in File Explorer, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-08 071338.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	183845

BR
Old 12-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
Georgie W
Connoisseur

@BetterRed - Thanks for the suggestion. I could create the shortcut, but it did not appear in my taskbar (is it relevant that IE is not my default browser?). I'm still wondering whether over-writing my Appdata configuration settings on re-installation has anything to do with it? I mean, I can start from scratch and recreate them all, but I seriously don't want to.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@BetterRed - Thanks for the suggestion. I could create the shortcut, but it did not appear in my taskbar (is it relevant that IE is not my default browser?).
No.

Quote:
I'm still wondering whether over-writing my Appdata configuration settings on re-installation has anything to do with it? I mean, I can start from scratch and recreate them all, but I seriously don't want to.

That taskbar shortcuts are kept in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\ is a legacy from Windows 95 or maybe earlier. Fact is, they never had anything to do with IE (they're a Windows/File Explorer artefact), and the Quick Lunch feature more-or-less disappeared in Win 7.

Ideally the taskbar shortcuts (that's all they are) should be in a directory at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Taskbar - alongside SendTo and Startup directories - which are also collections of Windows shortcuts.

History of the Microsoft Windows Taskbar - YouTube

I just remembered - there's a 'proper' way to do this, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-09 090228.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	183870

So called experts often forget the bleedin' obvious

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-08-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:08 AM   #11
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
So called experts often forget the bleedin' obvious

BR
Too true.

When I was wage slave I would often ask "I know it is obvious but what about XXXX". It was amazing how many times "XXXX" had been forgotten.

On occasions when it had not been forgotten, I was told sarcastically "Of Course. It is goes without saying"
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. In the end, I deleted Calibre and all my appdata personalisations (made a notepad file of all of them, plus screenshots, so come All the Apocalypses I can recreate ad infinitum). Reinstalled Calibre 4.22 & there is - thanks goodness - only one icon in the taskbar. It's seriously a first world problem (OMG I have TWO icons), but I'm feeling curiously soothed now it's working properly.