Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
dingrr
dingrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
[MacOS] 5.27.0 update

I am trying to update from 5.18 to 5.27.0 and the update will not open. This is on a MacBook Air which I just updated to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. I download calibre-5.27.0.dmg and moved the file to my desktop. After opening, it gives me a folder with a link to Applications and an icon for calibre, which I open. A "verifying" window pops up and then it puts a calibre-5.27.0 icon on the desktop. When I try to open that, the icon temporarily bounces in the tray and then vanishes. This is all done with calibre-5.18 closed and removed from the tray.

Calibre-5.18 will still open and nothing changed after a reboot. I also tried to drag the calibre-5.27.0 icon from the desktop to the Applications folder and it only gives me an "Alias" with 2kb. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to rectify?

Thanks
dingrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrr View Post
Calibre-5.18 will still open and nothing changed after a reboot. I also tried to drag the calibre-5.27.0 icon from the desktop to the Applications folder and it only gives me an "Alias" with 2kb. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to rectify?
Did you try dragging calibre.app onto the Applications shortcut? That seems to be the common way of installing a program on OSX.

Edit: Just tested this on Big Sur 11.6 on a virtual Mac. When I dropped calibre.app on the Applications link, I got a popup about an older item existing and chose Replace. After the 382MB copies, I clicked on calibre's icon in the dock and calibre 5.27 verified, asked me if I wanted to open it, I clicked on Open and calibre opened.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-23-2021 at 12:52 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
dingrr
dingrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, David, that worked perfectly! Thank you
dingrr is offline   Reply With Quote