Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Conday
Conday began at the beginning.

Device: None
Reverse Engineering Conversion

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I used calibre to convert an epub file so I could print it out through Adobe acrobat DC. It went well, and I’m now trying to print out another volume in the same way. The problem is I don’t remember exactly what steps I used, so the new volume looks significantly different in terms of font, margins, pictures wrapping around the end of a page, etc. My question: is there a way to use the pdf version I life to determine the conversion steps used to achieve it? Then I could simply perform those same steps in vol. 5. Thank you for the help
Conday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Conversion options are saved, so simply open the conversion dialog for the previously converted book and copy the relevant settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
Conday

Thank you for the quick reply. Where exactly is the conversion dialog? The other odd thing is that my previous book was saved under users without the name of the author in the files title, while any new conversions I’ve tried are saved elsewhere and WITH the authors name in the file. And it’s not like I changed a bunch of settings when I did the first one. Honestly I don’t remember doing any.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Conday

And when I open it with Adobe and check the fonts, it lists them as Cambria Math, SegoeUISymbol, and Times New Roman, which certainly aren't the default fonts for conversion. The only thing I can think of is that Times New Roman is the default font for my Microsoft Word. But how that gets into the pdf conversion I'm not sure. It took me so long to figure out how to download the ebook, use Obok DeDRM, then get it to a place i could print, I honestly can't remember what i did to get the pdf version at all.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
The issue may be the settings in the Adobe Acrobat printer driver used to print the EPUB to PDF.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Conday

That's exactly what it was, thank you! I opened the epub through calibre, then right-clicked and printed to pdf; I didn't actually use the conversion option for that file.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Printing in the calibre viewer just does a PDF conversion under the hood, with default settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote