Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Question Possible bug?

I made a clip to comment lines in css stylesheets. The clip is:

Code:
/* \1 */
and I assigned the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + 1". Well, it doesn't work. When I press the shortcut in a stylesheet, it happens nothing.

By the way, is there any way that in the Keyboard Shortcut dialog, instead of "Clip 1, Clip 10, ..., etc., etc.", it appears the name of the clips?
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm assuming you have something highlighted when you use the shortcut?

It works for me. Both the original Crtl+Alt+1, and Ctrl+Shift+1 (which is actually Ctrl+! for all practical purposes on my machine/keyboard.

Perhaps that shortcut is being used by some system-level process on your machine?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have the same >>>Saved SEARCH <<< and it works great on the highlighted text.
(I did not assign a hot key)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can you verify that the clip is working in general (from the clip bar and not via the shortcut)?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Also works just fine for me. Perhaps something else has been assigned that shortcut key sequence, as DiapDealer suggested?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm assuming you have something highlighted when you use the shortcut?
Of course

Quote:
It works for me. Both the original Crtl+Alt+1, and Ctrl+Shift+1 (which is actually Ctrl+! for all practical purposes on my machine/keyboard.

Perhaps that shortcut is being used by some system-level process on your machine?
The issue seems to be when I use a combination of Ctrl+Shift+Number (for example, "Ctrl+Shift+8", that also is "Ctrl+(" in my keyboard) or a combination of "Ctrl+Shift+Right/Left". In all those case, the shortcut doesn't work. However, there is no problem when I employ "Ctrl+Shift" with a letter, or a "Ctrl+Shift+F#" key. If the issue can't be duplicated, then the problem must be with my keyboard.

And regarding my other question, that in the Keyboard Shortcut dialog, instead of "Clip 1, Clip 10, ..., etc., etc.", it appears the name of the clips. Maybe it can be possible to use the Sigil_clip.ini to replace names in the Shortcut dialog.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #7
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
It doesn't work for me (probably for years), but I know a workaround.
When in Preferences> Keyboard Shortcuts I can see Ctrl+Shift+! then I close Sigil, manually edit the sigil.ini file, find such a wrong entry and correct it on Ctrl+Shift+1, save the sigil.ini file and it's OK.

IMHO is not strictly a Sigil error, but a Qt error.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can you verify that the clip is working in general (from the clip bar and not via the shortcut)?
Yes, the clip is working. In fact, now I have assigned the shortcut "Ctrl+*" and works fine. The problem is that I can't assign any secuence based on Ctrl+Shift+Number (Ctrl+Number works ok) or Ctrl+Right/Left, Ctrl+Shift+Right/Left. No problem with others combinations. But as I said, if the issue can't be duplicated, then must be something with my system or keyboard.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the '!' the shift of the key with '1' on it? Why would Qt detect the numeral 1 as an !?

Is this a Windows Qt bug or keyboard specific?

Last edited by KevinH; 09-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
It doesn't work for me (probably for years), but I know a workaround.
When in Preferences> Keyboard Shortcuts I can see Ctrl+Shift+! then I close Sigil, manually edit the sigil.ini file, find such a wrong entry and correct it on Ctrl+Shift+1, save the sigil.ini file and it's OK.
Wow, it works! I did exactly what you wrote and the combination "Ctrl+Shift+1" worked! Well, at least there is a way to assign as a shortcut the combination "Ctrl+Shift+Number". Thanks for posting your workaround.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Is the '!' the shift of the key with '1' on it? Why would Qt detect the numeral 1 as an !?

Is this a Windows Qt bug?
Yes.
I have exactly the same symptoms as @RbnJrg, but due to my Polish keyboard layout, I am used to all kinds of keyboard shortcuts problems.
Over the years, I've seen a few submissions on the Qt forum, but they probably haven't received too much priority.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 09-06-2021 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Image
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #12
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:

Is this a Windows Qt bug or keyboard specific?
I don't know. I think that in all keyboards when you have to type the symbol "!", you have to press "Shift+1". So I believe that Qt must think that we are pressing the combination Ctrl+!. I say that because if in Sigil.ini, I write as a shortcut "Ctrl+!" or "Ctrl+Shift+1", both ways work. But not "Ctrl+Shift+!". But when in the shortcut dialog we press "Ctrl+Shift+1", there is written "Ctrl+Shift+!", the combination that is not working. So I don't know where is the origen of the issue.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I don't know. I think that in all keyboards when you have to type the symbol "!", you have to press "Shift+1". So I believe that Qt must think that we are pressing the combination Ctrl+!. I say that because if in Sigil.ini, I write as a shortcut "Ctrl+!" or "Ctrl+Shift+1", both ways work. But not "Ctrl+Shift+!". But when in the shortcut dialog we press "Ctrl+Shift+1", there is written "Ctrl+Shift+!", the combination that is not working. So I don't know where is the origen of the issue.
A bit of quick testing with a programmable keyboard showed that that I would need a key where ! was the unshifted character for Ctrl+Shift+! to work. Since I went quick and dirty and swapped the ! and 1, Ctrl-1 also worked. Now if I could work out how to use the modifier keys in a useful fashion outside out running APL or LISP interpreters.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So as DiapDealer has already stated, Ctrl+Shift+1 must equate to Ctrl+! if the '!' is accessed via the shift of the 1.

So not all possible combinations of key sequences can be assigned as they are in fact not unique.

In our Sigil Preferences KeySequence routine we only have access to the modifiers used and the resulting text produced. So we detect Ctrl+Shift+1 as Ctrl+Shift+! since it detects the modifiers and the text function returns '!' not '1'.

We would have to have access to a keyboards mapping / layout to handle this properly and write it out as Ctrl+! or Ctrl+Shift+1 BUT not as Ctrl+Shift+!

I will look to see if raw scan codes can be used somehow.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
We would have to have access to a keyboards mapping / layout to handle this properly and write it out as Ctrl+! or Ctrl+Shift+1 BUT not as Ctrl+Shift+!

I will look to see if raw scan codes can be used somehow.
Yes, but also you should do the same not only with the case of Ctrl+Shift+! but also with Ctrl+Shift+", Ctrl+Shift+$, Ctrl+Shift+%, Ctrl+Shift+&, etc., etc. If we were able to edit the imput in the shortcut dialog by ourself (so far, is not allowed), the issue is solved. It would a piece of cake for us to change Ctrl+Shift+! into Ctrl+Shift+1 (but we can't overwrite the "!" with "1").