Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The most powerful and easy-to-use Book Organizer
Sorry, but that is a lie. Calibre is more powerful then Alfa. Also, it's not as easy to use as Calibre. You don't have anything in Alfa to support Readers. Calibre does and does it very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that is a lie. Calibre is more powerful then Alfa. Also, it's not as easy to use as Calibre. You don't have anything in Alfa to support Readers. Calibre does and does it very well.
People lie?

Oh, no!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am in retail and I have never had anyone lie to me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #49
motherat
Enthusiast
motherat began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke2
I'm genuinely curious, is there a point to using any such book management software if it can't deal with DRM?
motherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherat View Post
I'm genuinely curious, is there a point to using any such book management software if it can't deal with DRM?
There are people who dislike the way Calibre manages their files. For those Alfa may be a more suitable alternative. I guess they either buy only DRM-free books or use Calibre only for DRM removal.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre only manages a copy of the originals.
I fail to see any advantage at all to Alfa.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Calibre only manages a copy of the originals.
I fail to see any advantage at all to Alfa.
Personally I don't either, but there have been plenty of posts here complaining about Calibre file management.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #53
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But compared to users not complaining, thus not posting?
And in most cases there is no issue when it's explained.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But compared to users not complaining, thus not posting?
And in most cases there is no issue when it's explained.
Of course Calibre has far more users than Alfa. I'd guess the number of users not satisfied with its file system is negligible. But there must be enough of those for Alfa to still exist, after more than 10 years.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #55
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Personally I don't either, but there have been plenty of posts here complaining about Calibre file management.
Yes, I see plenty in another ebook forum I frequent. Apparently there are many people who really dislike that Calibre leaves the original files completely alone by creating its own copies. Why that should be a BAD thing, I have no idea.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yes, I see plenty in another ebook forum I frequent. Apparently there are many people who really dislike that Calibre leaves the original files completely alone by creating its own copies. Why that should be a BAD thing, I have no idea.
It may be the question of storage space. Some people have thousands of files and don't want duplicates taking space on their hard drives.

Not that I terribly sympathize with people who dislike Calibre for whatever reason . Still, they usually do have their reasons. We Calibre fans might not agree with them, but one man's bread and so on.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:01 AM   #57
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
It may be the question of storage space. Some people have thousands of files and don't want duplicates taking space on their hard drives.

Not that I terribly sympathize with people who dislike Calibre for whatever reason . Still, they usually do have their reasons. We Calibre fans might not agree with them, but one man's bread and so on.
Oh sure, it's entirely their choice and doesn't affect me at all, but even the space argument makes little sense these days, given the size of ebook files and the price of storage.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:

Still nearly nothing compared to an image library, mp3s and videos. Also all professional document management systems have their own internal copy of the documents. Otherwise it's broken.

People need to think of the imported ebooks as a kind of database not intended for direct use.

Very many Media Player Libraries work the same way, they import a copy of the mp3, flac or wav.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #59
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Still nearly nothing compared to an image library, mp3s and videos. Also all professional document management systems have their own internal copy of the documents. Otherwise it's broken.

People need to think of the imported ebooks as a kind of database not intended for direct use.

Very many Media Player Libraries work the same way, they import a copy of the mp3, flac or wav.
My ebook library could be described as an image library. I have hundreds of volumes of manga/graphic novels/comics and plenty of books with lots of hires pictures like cookbooks, some non-fiction books etc. My ebook library is well past 50GB at this point and is bigger than my MP3 collection. Not everyone is reading only 50kb public domain files.

I don't use Alfa either but I personally find Calibre bloated, stuffed with features I'll never use. I basically just use Calibre to access a handful of plug-ins. In the same way some people prefer to manage their MP3s with iTunes or WinAMP others may want to just use folders or some other system.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #60
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
They could just delete the original file.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alfa, audible book, websites