Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #1171
bandeezy
bandeezy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
Thanks David! Loaded the image you sent with the correct serial number onto my SD card. Seems that it's no longer unhappy about that (green, red, and flashing green LEDs prior to this change), but now the blue light comes on for ~15 seconds but the screen never changes from it's sleep page. Any thoughts on what this could be? Did some minor digging and it seems that this constant blue light is just the eReader initializing. Tried a factory reset as well with no luck.
bandeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #1172
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandeezy View Post
Thanks David! Loaded the image you sent with the correct serial number onto my SD card. Seems that it's no longer unhappy about that (green, red, and flashing green LEDs prior to this change), but now the blue light comes on for ~15 seconds but the screen never changes from it's sleep page. Any thoughts on what this could be? Did some minor digging and it seems that this constant blue light is just the eReader initializing. Tried a factory reset as well with no luck.
The factory reset is what I would usually suggest. And making sure that the cables were connected and the SD card seated properly. And that the device is charged. Otherwise, make sure there is no damage to the screen. If it has been cracked it might not show changes. And try it when plugged in. If the battery is dying, you could get that behaviour. Lastly, just leave it plugged in. Quite a lot of people have given up and then reported the device was running fine the next day.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #1173
bandeezy

Quote:
The factory reset is what I would usually suggest. And making sure that the cables were connected and the SD card seated properly. And that the device is charged. Otherwise, make sure there is no damage to the screen. If it has been cracked it might not show changes. And try it when plugged in. If the battery is dying, you could get that behaviour. Lastly, just leave it plugged in. Quite a lot of people have given up and then reported the device was running fine the next day.
I tried all of those things with no luck. Screen is not damaged and left it charging overnight. Is it possible that I may have mucked something up with the serial number in the image? I'm guessing the iMX5 checks that section and only boots up if that is correct? See attached image for serial number comparison of the image you sent me David, with the serial number modified on the left hand side and the original backup image I grabbed off the SD card on the right hand side. Maybe I'll try removing the 3 bytes at 0x229.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serial_number_comparison.png
Views:	47
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	188412  
Old 07-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #1174
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is no need to enter the serial number; leaving it at zeros works.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #1175
bandeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
There is no need to enter the serial number; leaving it at zeros works.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks! I loaded the serial-less image, did a factory reset, and am back to the issue I started with: green, blue, and then flashing green for 12-13 cycles. Screen doesn't come on during or after and nothing else happens. Any thoughts? Maybe there's a fundamental hardware issue... I tried looking for what that LED pattern might correspond to but haven't been able to find anything.
Advert
Old 07-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #1176
bandeezy

I picked up a used N905B the other day in hopes that it would help troubleshoot my N905C. Turns out it has the same startup sequence for the LEDs, so now I'm thinking it's an issue with the screen on my N905C...
Old 07-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #1177
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandeezy View Post
Good to know, thanks! I loaded the serial-less image, did a factory reset, and am back to the issue I started with: green, blue, and then flashing green for 12-13 cycles. Screen doesn't come on during or after and nothing else happens. Any thoughts? Maybe there's a fundamental hardware issue... I tried looking for what that LED pattern might correspond to but haven't been able to find anything.
My N905 Touch, shows the blue LED on power on, then flashes green a couple of times then the screen starts to change. What you are seeing makes me think the device cannot boot from the card. But, a factory reset will flash the LEDs until the rest is finished.

If it is the screen, it might be booting but not able to show anything. You might be able to tap on the screen and find the right place to connect to the PC. My Touch doesn't have a WiFi setup option. If it is plugged into a PC when powered on after factory reset, it automatically connects ready for setup using the Kobo desktop application. I'm not sure if the N905C is the same as it has later firmware for the factory reset. It is probably the same as the Glo. In case it helps, I have attached photos from my Glo of the first two setup screens. You can try tapping similar positions on the screen to see if you can get it to connect to the PC.

As @PeterT said, not updating the serial number in won't cause a problem. Updating it is better, but, not by much as it is not used in that many places. I suppose that there is very small risk of corrupting the image when doing this, but, it easy to do correctly.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #1178
5Speed
5Speed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can you please send me the image for the n905b?

Thanks!
5Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #1179
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #1180
sudros
sudros began at the beginning.

Device: N647
Is it possible to get an image for the n905B please? Appreciate it. Thanks.
sudros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:45 PM   #1181
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #1182
sudros
sudros began at the beginning.

Device: N647
Quote:
PM sent.
Thanks so much. Again you've saved a kobo of mine. Appreciate it.
sudros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #1183
schizzoid
schizzoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905B
Hey all, could someone please send me the image file for a Kobo Touch N905B? Trying to fix or replace a corrupted sd card
schizzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #1184
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #1185
ben6288
ben6288 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo TOUCH N905
Hello

my Kobo touch N905 suddenly stopped booting when I was on vacation (led flashing and then blank screen). I was able to trying to restore it several times (led flashing white) but with nothing changed.
On my return I made some trouble shooting: since from an HW point of view everything looks fine, I suppose that the SD card was somehow corrupted (I found the rootfs partitition empty).
I tried to copy the image of the partition "recoveryfs" to the partition "rootfs" but this didn't change the result (actually is even a bit worse: the led only turn on blue, and then it shuts down again).

Can anybody be so kind to send the image of the entire SDcard so I can try to flash it completely?

Thank You

Best regards

Ben
ben6288 is offline   Reply With Quote