Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Xiaomi launches the InkPalm 5 mini e-reader for 599 yuan (~$91)

https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/04/0...r-599-yuan-91/

Quote:
The InkPalm 5 e-Reader packs a 5.2-inch screen with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels and a pixel density of 284ppi. The device weighs just 115 grams and is as thin as 6.9mm. It is very convenient to carry and can be easily fit your pocket.
It looks to run Android 8.1 with 1GB Rsm, 32Gb internal storage and a 1400mAh battery.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/04/0...r-599-yuan-91/

It looks to run Android 8.1 with 1GB Rsm, 32Gb internal storage and a 1400mAh battery.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Too small for me, but I hope English review come out. It looks neat.

32GB storage is pretty impressive for a reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I want one! Great size to have it with me all the time and hopefully easy to hold. The warm light temperature is a huge plus.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sounds good and having one of these with optionally a 7" to 8" eink is better than a 6" Kindle Basic which has terrible resolution for 6", it has the number of dots more suitable for a 4" eReader.

I'm tempted and regular readers should know how sceptical I am of new products.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
The specs on this should make Kindle & Kobo ashamed - it CAN be done. If they ever release a 7-inch version on Alibaba, banggood etc, I'd be in.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I'd buy this as soon as somewhere with an English GUI and can ship to Ireland sells it accepting some sensible payment method. Even with the customs/VAT.

Especially if it can run our local County Library access which is Borrow Box.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The specs on this should make Kindle & Kobo ashamed - it CAN be done. If they ever release a 7-inch version on Alibaba, banggood etc, I'd be in.
A 7" would be more expensive. The Kobo Libra is decent value. But the Kindle Basic without adverts (price) or with adverts (cheaper) is a terrible product for even 5 years ago.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Especially if it can run our local County Library access which is Borrow Box.
If it's built around Adobe DRM I wouldn't hold my breath.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
k_men
k_men doesn't litterk_men doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle PW4, Kindle PW2, Kindle 5NT
Last week I was thinking how cool it would be if Kobo released a second iteration of the Mini - it was such a cool ereader, there's clearly a gap in the marketplace there. And lo and behold, here it is, with 1GB RAM, 32GB storage, frontlight, colour temperature control, the lot.

Except, it's Xiaomi, not Kobo.

I hope it's successful and makes it into the European market. I really want one.
k_men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Borrowbox does use Adobe DRM, and you need the stupid system if you use the website. But the Borrowbox Android App works without any Adobe registrations or Adobe apps or PC program. The Borrowbox Android App works on my ancient 7" tablet and my Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8" eink. The Google Framework is only needed at install time. Direct Apk downloads using the Mars Browser install OF on the Mars without enabling the Framework. It's only needed the Playstore and Playbooks (so far).
Old 04-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
It's Android - nothing prevents you from installing another app.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
If this will run in English I’ll buy it to replace my Hisense A5. Smaller, lighter and looks to be a better screen.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A 7" would be more expensive. The Kobo Libra is decent value. But the Kindle Basic without adverts (price) or with adverts (cheaper) is a terrible product for even 5 years ago.
Oh, sure - I wouldn't expect a 7-inch at the same or similar price. I was thinking more of the specs - MR readers at least would pay for larger devices with similar specs, that huge market ought be first in the minds of Amazon and Rakuten.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I saw it available on an ereader review site that I'd rather not name, for DOUBLE the price that is quoted in the headline. Given their reputation of borrowing content, writing click-bait titles, making wildly inaccurate predictions, and not such stellar shipping, I think I'll pass, especially at that price.

I'd love to have one though, as I'd really like a more portable reader, though would prefer a slightly more square aspect ratio. If I bought one I'd install KOReader (where I do 99% of my reading now) and the Amazon reader app (looks like it has Amazon's app pre-installed). One big concern would be availability of decent and well fitting cases. If another vendor starts selling it in the US, I'll probably grab one.

EDIT: And I just remembered the fact that Xiaomi has been accused of being a bit of a backdoor for a particular foreign government... so, there's that big red flag -- hmmm...

Last edited by twowheels; 04-06-2021 at 04:44 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #15
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
while people keep buying the latest low spec Kindles and Kobos they will keep making them.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote