Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm=> Ebookman=> IPaq=> Axim=> Cybook=> Kindle 2=>IPAD 1 & Kindle 3SO
Oasis Ergonomics Discussion

Well, I've had my Oasis for a couple of hours and I like it enough to keep it ... but the ergonomics were not quite what I've been expecting. I'm writing this for those of you who have commented about aging joints/grips. I wonder if any of you other Oasis owners have had similar reactions.

The issue is that the grip is not quite as good as I expected. The bulge isn't big enough to hold and the angled bevel where the cover connects is smooth and slippery enough that I can't grasp the bulge. As a result I am still left 'pinching' the edge to get a firm grip. The wider edge does help, but it doesn't make it effortless.

I find that in order to make sure it doesn't slip out of my hand I need to get some part of my hand underneath the bottom of the device. Interestingly, all of the pictures on the Amazon page show a bottom grip. I suspect you would need to reverse the page buttons for this kind of grip (see pics from amazon.com oasis page below).

Speaking of page buttons, they are excellent and are a much more consistent method of page turning than the voyage buttons or using a touch screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twohand.PNG
Views:	259
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	148439   Click image for larger version

Name:	threehand.PNG
Views:	246
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	148440  
Attached Images

emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
My hands, like the rest of me, are getting old (or have already arrived at old) and are a bit on the weak and shaky side.

I can't really hold onto the bare Oasis very well with just one hand; even if I partly support it with my fingers under the bottom of it after a while my hand starts to shake or cramp.

Nevertheless it's just so attractive that I've been reading with it bare anyway. I just use my other hand or a pillow or armrest to add support. I use my other hand to turn the page anyway, via the touchscreen. The page turn button would really need to be right in the middle between the top and bottom button for me to easily use it.

I've always left the covers on my ereaders and held them mostly in my left hand (although I'm right-handed) with additional support and page-turning added from my other hand. I've noticed that if I do read on the Oasis with the cover on I automatically open it like a normal book, fold back the cover, and hold it in my left hand with the wide bezel sitting off uselessly to the right. So I'm obviously holding it wrong.

I think the Oasis is partly a package of odd solutions looking for problems but I do like it very much anyway.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 AM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
I find the Oasis very comfortable to hold, no gripping or pinching required. It just sort of rests in my hand, which is what I was hoping for, as I have a lot of pain in my hands.

However, one thing I wonder about is the little metal dots on the back (are these battery connections? magnets?) These often end up right underneath my fingertips, and I wonder if oil from my fingers might interfere with the battery connection. If so, might it be necessary to clean these dots regularly, and if so how?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Yeah, I've found that reading it with your hand all the way up the bulge is quite a strain. The right way to read it one-handed is surely the same way you'd read a book one-handed: held near the bottom, with perhaps one finger running along the bottom to provide additional support. Why the top button is considered the default-forward button is beyond me: I flipped it at once.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
I have problems with my wrists, so I find that I need to use two hands to be most comfortable. The Oasis is more comfortable than the Voyage was to hold for long periods. The lighter weight and ergonomics are better for me.

I also switched the turn buttons to the bottom being page forward. I grip it in one hand near the turn button and use the palm of the other hand as a rest to help distribute the weight and keep it steady. I think that the one handed hold probably works fine for those who don't have issues with their joints or muscles.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I hold it farther up than on the photos, with my thumb on the top half of the top button ... 3 fingers beyond the bugle.

But so far I´ve mostly used like I used my Paperwhite, with the cover on letting it rest on my legs, no hands at all. My habits might change in a few days or weeks :-)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I am right handed but use the Oasis mostly in my left hand as I use my cell phones. That way I have my dominant hand to do the fine movements for settings, fonts, brightness, etc.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Why the top button is considered the default-forward button is beyond me: I flipped it at once.
Actually, that surprised me, when I saw it in reviews (I don't have an Oasis yet). All the kindles with buttons have had FORWARD as the bottom button, except for the very first Kindle. The BACKWARD button got smaller as the kindle versions progressed (much like the single-dot on the Voyage, vs longer field for forward).

So yeah -- I will immediately make the lower button be FORWARD. I'm surprised they default it the other way.
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Actually, that surprised me, when I saw it in reviews (I don't have an Oasis yet). All the kindles with buttons have had FORWARD as the bottom button, except for the very first Kindle. The BACKWARD button got smaller as the kindle versions progressed (much like the single-dot on the Voyage, vs longer field for forward).

So yeah -- I will immediately make the lower button be FORWARD. I'm surprised they default it the other way.
My thinking was just like yours until I held it. I'm sure that it depends on the size of your hand, but until you've held it you can't appreciate how small it is. And the forward button on top becomes the location of choice, for me at least.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra H2O
It makes sense that Amazon defaulted the top button as page forward, because they intended the entire wedge to be lodged in the palm, which was the entire point of having the wedge. In that intended position the thumb rests on the top button.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nice that you have the option to swap them around, though. I think this is the first Kindle to give the user that choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
As someone that has wrists and joint issues and cramps a bit with the Voyage, the Oasis is a big improvement on that front for me. There is still room for even more improvement I think. Overall though its pretty good.

I think I'd like it there were some shallow "dents" in the part where it goes to the thinner, for fingertips to grab. Or some nubs. Maybe a kind of rubber type feeling material in that rim. I don't know, its pretty good.

I too thought it was weird about the forward button being the top. But then I held it. My thumb kind of falls right in between, with a bit more on the top. So I can easily use forward and back with just a press on a different part of the digit.

I can also hold it using the bottom as forward when I then rest the Oasis on my little finger that comes in from behind. For that holding pattern, i have to reverse the buttons as my thumb is not long enough to comfortably reach the top button. But I read mostly with it in my palm with fingers on the back. 2 of my fingers reach to the edge part where the magnets are, the other 2 are too short. My hands are small size. I get small sized gloves for example for cleaning. Although I wouldn't call them tiny.

I just read 2 books in the last 2 days, on my 3rd since I had it and have no real pain in my wrists. Just pinch here and there, which is a huge improvement. I use to have to constantly shake out my hands.

Its actually quite nice in the cover too. Put it in to top it off for a while. But i prefer it outside the cover to take advantage of the shape.

I think this is really a case of personal usage. I can see how that shape might not work for some. Since we are all so different with different sized hands and length of fingers. And different levels of issues, if any.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
It makes sense that Amazon defaulted the top button as page forward, because they intended the entire wedge to be lodged in the palm, which was the entire point of having the wedge. In that intended position the thumb rests on the top button.
Your thumb may; I don't think mine will! I haven't held one yet, but there's only 2.75" from the bottom corner to my thumb, in the slightly curved hand position where the wedge rests in my palm.

But yes, I'm very glad the buttons are adjustable!
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
My thinking was just like yours until I held it. I'm sure that it depends on the size of your hand, but until you've held it you can't appreciate how small it is. And the forward button on top becomes the location of choice, for me at least.
Yeah, I just figured out the other right way to hold it, so it rests on the thumb side of your index finger and the pads of your third, fourth and fifth fingers. Like that, in my hand at least, it tilts so that my thumb contacts the upper page-turn button, my wrist is neither tilted nor bent and the weight goes straight into the palm of my hand. It's sufficiently stress-free in that position that it almost feels like I'm not holding anything at all.

Magic (well, good design).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #15
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Yeah, I just figured out the other right way to hold it, so it rests on the thumb side of your index finger and the pads of your third, fourth and fifth fingers. Like that, in my hand at least, it tilts so that my thumb contacts the upper page-turn button, my wrist is neither tilted nor bent and the weight goes straight into the palm of my hand. It's sufficiently stress-free in that position that it almost feels like I'm not holding anything at all.

Magic (well, good design).
What? My hand must not be constructed like yours. I can't even imagine that configuration, never mind get my hand into it.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote