Notices

Old 08-09-2021, 05:50 AM   #1531
mobamoba
Enthusiast
mobamoba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are two requests there. The first is the request to authorise the application against the user. The second is to get the token that was generated by the first. But, before doing the second, you must do the step on the GR site. If GR is no longer showing this on the Apps page, there is not much I can do. The second step will fail until you do this.

What I would suggest is trying from a desktop. That will let you go to the GR page quickly. And will make sure everything is consistent. Once you have done the authorisation, you should be able to go to the container version and authorise it. In that case, just click the button to say that you have authorised the plugin. Once it is done, it will work for other installations.

If the authorisation on the desktop works, but from the container it doesn't, we should be able to copy the configuration between them. It is all in a file somewhere. Just need to remember how to extract it.
If you remember , let me know because I can access it from a Windows desktop and then just copy whatever file needs to be copied to the container. Thanks! I never even see it asking me for me access on GR btw and I never revoked access so no idea why access has vanished but it has.
mobamoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #1532
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobamoba View Post
If you remember , let me know because I can access it from a Windows desktop and then just copy whatever file needs to be copied to the container. Thanks! I never even see it asking me for me access on GR btw and I never revoked access so no idea why access has vanished but it has.
The file is "Goodreads Sync.json" which will be in the plugins sub-directory of your calibre settings directory. If you have managed to authorise the plugin, then it should contain what you need. You will need to do the other parts of the configuration unless you have the same custom columns in both installations.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:22 AM   #1533
mobamoba
Enthusiast
mobamoba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
That worked thanks! I had to sync one book first and after that, the JSON populated with the user secret and user token. I copied those over to the JSON on my Docker installs (they were different) and after that it worked. Thanks.
mobamoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #1534
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I was wondering if there was a way of getting the shelf/tag mappings (not the sync add rules) to copy to the clipboard.

Would like to create a shelf/tag mapping list in excel so I can import it into other plugins.

If it is a possible change in the plugin that can be made it would be much appreciated $$ but if not, is there some way of editing the .json file so it can be done? I can make a copy of the .json and do whatever copy/paste/edit in notepad ++.

Also, is there any way of updating the plugin so the option of changing/updating/replacing the goodreads id on sycned books is available, like the one for the isbn is?

Last edited by Rellwood; 09-11-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #1535
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I was wondering if there was a way of getting the shelf/tag mappings (not the sync add rules) to copy to the clipboard.

Would like to create a shelf/tag mapping list in excel so I can import it into other plugins.

If it is a possible change in the plugin that can be made it would be much appreciated $$ but if not, is there some way of editing the .json file so it can be done? I can make a copy of the .json and do whatever copy/paste/edit in notepad ++.
Sorry not really worth the effort. But, the options are all in the "Goodreads Sync.json" file in the plugins directory of the calibre preferences. It is JSON, so you should be able to edit it with no problems.
Quote:
Also, is there any way of updating the plugin so the option of changing/updating/replacing the goodreads id on sycned books is available, like the one for the isbn is?
As the key for syncing books is the goodreads id, it is not really possible. If you need to change the GR id, then use either "Link to Goodreads" or "Switch Goodreads Edition".
Old 09-18-2021, 01:19 AM   #1536
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Thanks!

I have been trying so hard to change the "tag mapper" json but I keep getting errors.

I have over 800 shelves. There is no way I am going to hand do each individual shelf for the map rules in tag mapper. I have edited the GR Sync json so it's appropriate to the tag map rules json but when I try and use it I get errors, and then it breaks Calibre. lol.

Update:
Discovered that there was an extra rule that I missed on two tags, fixed it and now it works.

Through much work, I am now able to easily and accuratly rename all my goodreads shelves from their original good-reads-bookshelf format to the desired Goodreads.Bookshelves tags I want in their own column. Saving me the long time of syncing. I have so many tags that I have yet to actually sync every shelf so that they are all current at once.

Last edited by Rellwood; 09-18-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #1537
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FYI: There is a problem in calibre 5.28 that is triggered when this plugin adds a goodreads ID to a book during syncing. That ID is lost when the library is closed. V5.27 doesn't have the problem.

EDIT: the fix is in calibre source now and will be in the next release.

Last edited by chaley; 09-26-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: fix released
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #1538
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FYI: There is a problem in calibre 5.28 that is triggered when this plugin adds a goodreads ID to a book during syncing. That ID is lost when the library is closed. V5.27 doesn't have the problem.

EDIT: the fix is in calibre source now and will be in the next release.
My favourite sort of bug report
Old 10-05-2021, 01:46 AM   #1539
Minotaur
Enthusiast
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Forma
Having a problem with GR Sync. Functionally it works fine, however when I update reading progress on books that are actually in progress, the Goodreads shelf displays as "read" in Calibre. It's correct on the GR site, but it just displays the wrong shelf in Calibre.
This happens when I have the option "Put finished books on Read shelf" enabled. I have the correct column set for reading progress, so I am not sure why the plugin thinks the book is completed, especially since it actually sets the correct GR shelf.
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #1540
C8H10N4O2
C8H10N4O2 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle DX
Question Recent Error in GR Sync

I added 50 titles to a shelf on Goodreads earlier with no issues at all. I went to add a second 50, and I got this error:

Code:
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
After playing around with it (e.g. selecting smaller sets), it got it to add an additional 10 titles. Since that time, I have not been able to add any titles at all, even single books.

Here is the entire trace if it helps:
Code:
calibre, version 5.31.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

calibre 5.31.1 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 0, 3) && Category Tags (0, 1, 2) && Count Pages (1, 11, 1) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 3) && Extract ISBN (1, 5, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 10) && Goodreads (1, 5, 1) && Goodreads More Tags (1, 2, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 15, 1) && Job Spy (1, 0, 190) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 0) && Manage Series (1, 2, 11) && Modify ePub (1, 6, 3) && Quality Check (1, 11, 4) && Search The Internet (1, 8, 1) && Similar Stories (1, 0, 58)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1758, in action_button_clicked
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 327, in add_remove_book_to_shelf
Let me know if you have any ideas...
C8H10N4O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #1541
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
Having a problem with GR Sync. Functionally it works fine, however when I update reading progress on books that are actually in progress, the Goodreads shelf displays as "read" in Calibre. It's correct on the GR site, but it just displays the wrong shelf in Calibre.
This happens when I have the option "Put finished books on Read shelf" enabled. I have the correct column set for reading progress, so I am not sure why the plugin thinks the book is completed, especially since it actually sets the correct GR shelf.
That sounds like you have something set in the "Shelf Add Actions" for the the currently-reading shelf. If that isn't it, can you run calibre in debug mode, update the progress and then post the log.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #1542
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
I added 50 titles to a shelf on Goodreads earlier with no issues at all. I went to add a second 50, and I got this error:

Code:
After playing around with it (e.g. selecting smaller sets), it got it to add an additional 10 titles. Since that time, I have not been able to add any titles at all, even single books.

Here is the entire trace if it helps:
Code:
calibre, version 5.31.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

calibre 5.31.1 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 0, 3) && Category Tags (0, 1, 2) && Count Pages (1, 11, 1) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 3) && Extract ISBN (1, 5, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 10) && Goodreads (1, 5, 1) && Goodreads More Tags (1, 2, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 15, 1) && Job Spy (1, 0, 190) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 0) && Manage Series (1, 2, 11) && Modify ePub (1, 6, 3) && Quality Check (1, 11, 4) && Search The Internet (1, 8, 1) && Similar Stories (1, 0, 58)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1758, in action_button_clicked
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 327, in add_remove_book_to_shelf
Let me know if you have any ideas...
Can you run in debug mode and post the log? I need to see what the response from GR is. And are you adding the books to the same shelf? Or different shelves?
Old 11-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #1543
C8H10N4O2

Quote:
Can you run in debug mode and post the log? I need to see what the response from GR is.
I have run it in debug mode and it looks like everything works and responds well for the first 50. When I get to the point of trying to do second group, it goes straight to the error I showed earlier and nothing gets written to the log. Is there a way to get a more detailed debug log?

Quote:
And are you adding the books to the same shelf? Or different shelves?
I am adding all the books to the same shelf normally. I did try to add them to a different shelf this morning and it failed with the same error.

One thing I did notice is that the behavior is transient. After I get the error the first time, if I wait long enough, it will allow me to run the next set. It does not appear to be directly related to the client as I can keep the same client open and it will work. I don't have a specific idea of how long the time is because both times it has been overnight.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:18 AM   #1544
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
I have run it in debug mode and it looks like everything works and responds well for the first 50. When I get to the point of trying to do second group, it goes straight to the error I showed earlier and nothing gets written to the log. Is there a way to get a more detailed debug log?
What's in the log is what is in the log. To see more, I need to see the log and then decide what extra information is needed. Then I can add more logging statements.
Quote:
I am adding all the books to the same shelf normally. I did try to add them to a different shelf this morning and it failed with the same error.

One thing I did notice is that the behavior is transient. After I get the error the first time, if I wait long enough, it will allow me to run the next set. It does not appear to be directly related to the client as I can keep the same client open and it will work. I don't have a specific idea of how long the time is because both times it has been overnight.
That suggests that GR is rate limiting you. They state they can do this in the API documentation and it is at the developer key level. Which means all the users of this plugin. I also rarely do more that a few books at a time, so I haven't had any issue. If that is the case, I am surprised that there is nothing in the log to indicate it. But, I would actually need to see logs to get an idea.

It could be problems at there end and they can't keep up. I wouldn't expect this to be the case, but, I have no idea what resources they have behind this.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #1545
C8H10N4O2

Quote:
I need to see the log
Here you are. Let me know if you need any other info.

Last edited by C8H10N4O2; 11-22-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Tags
calibre, goodreads