Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post

Is epub liberation GUI you refer to part of Calibre or something else?
epub liberation is not part of calibre. I suggest looking in the epub section of these forums about Adobe ADEPT for epub.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So you are saying that if I install the software to get a PID, I can then download books, import them into Calibre and they will be plain old mobipocket and not need further work?

If so, I wonder if that means I can read mobipocket format library books on the Kindle...
Yes, once you have the mobideDRM plugin downloaded and working in Calibre (and have your Mobipocket PID registered at the library) you can download Mobipocket library books, import them into Calibre, and they will work on the Kindle with no further manipulation or format change. Keep in mind though, that when you strip the DRM the book will no longer expire (the original file will, but the copy you made when you imported it into Calibre won't) so it won't automatically quit working at the end of the check-out period. If you want to avoid "pirating" a library book, you'll have to delete it manually!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, KarenH. I will have to see if I can find instructions to get the plug-in working, and then revive my Alphasmart Dana so I can get a mobipocket reader (no mac version!)

I caved on the sale too. Even though I have read most of these books already (where Grafton is concerned) and the complete series is not available (Evanovich) I still could not pass up so many 'free' books. I am a little incredulous they have not closed the micropay loophole---I basically bought a $19 NYT best-seller, then re-used that micropay to buy about 30 books and I *still* have the $19 in micropay...I am not complaining as that's a lot of books for $19 but I am surprised they let me get away with it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Do you guys really feel that the 100% rebate is worth it? I did it a few times but when I went to spend my rebate, I found that most of the books were grossly overpriced. Books that were under $10 at Sony or Amazon were going to $26 or $27.
When you need to use new money, you do need to think about it (although I've found that by waiting for offers it pays off in the end).

But occassionally you get 100% rebate offers that are valid from your micropay account. You buy the book, and get the money back into your micropay account instantly. Apart from having to have money in your micropay account, they really are free ebooks.

(And, of course, you didn't buy micropay - your bought a 100% rebate book that required paypal/CC to get a micropay balance.)
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I started with just under $14 in my MicroPay account and just bought over 50 books and still have just under $14 in my MicroPay account without adding any money. This is a tremendously good deal for the 3 authors mentioned.

I had to buy only one or two at a time to make it fit within my micropay amount, but well worth the effort.

Last edited by tselling; 02-07-2010 at 07:44 PM.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
The deal today with authors: Leigh, Grafton, Evanovich is a really good deal especially if you already have a micropay balance because you can pick up their backlist free. That is because they are 100% micropay rebates even when purchasing using Micropay. Most of the time to get 100% micropay you have to buy with Paypal or Credit Card.
Is this a glitch in the fictionwise payment system (a good glitch, nontheless)? How could they be this generous to give away ebooks for FREE by reusing the micropay credits endlessly? Or is it for specific titles only?

Someone mentioned that it doesn't work for some titles. How can we tell for sure which ones allow recycling of micropay money?

I'm relatively new to fictionwise, and totally confused by it all.

Thanks, regards.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Someone mentioned that it doesn't work for some titles. How can we tell for sure which ones allow recycling of micropay money?
Basically when you are looking at the book info, in the first paragraph of the description it may have an icon that says 100% Micropay Credit Card only. Or, when you add the book to your cart and look at your cart it shows that the Micropay Rebate is for "Credit Card only" which means Credit Card or Paypal only. If it does not say "Credit Card only" then you can purchase with your existing Micropay balance.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks! I sure am going to buy some mircropay credit.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Thanks! I sure am going to buy some mircropay credit.
No!!! Don't just buy micropay credit. Find a book you want that has 100% micropay rebate when purchased with credit card. That way you at least get something for the $$$ you are using to "get" micropay with!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #26
weeziepepper
Enthusiast
weeziepepper began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150, Astak Pocket Pro
I am soooo excited!

I just bought 21 Lora Leigh ebooks and still have my original investment of $15 in my Micropay account. That is way cool! I'm so glad I saw this thread so I could get the deal before it expired.

Unfortunately I did have to buy several in secure ereader and secure mobi. I've never tried to use or convert those formats so I may have to research a little to get them on my Astak Pocket Pro. But it will be worth it!

Thanks for telling us all about the sale.

Weezie
weeziepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #27
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Do you guys really feel that the 100% rebate is worth it? I did it a few times but when I went to spend my rebate, I found that most of the books were grossly overpriced. Books that were under $10 at Sony or Amazon were going to $26 or $27.
Typically new books are overpriced compared to Amazon. However they are usually competitive for backlist stuff. But, once you take Micropay into account they are far cheaper than any other store.

They occasionally have sales where you get a big Micropay rebate, even if paying with Micropay. For example in December 2009 every secure ebook had a 40-60% Micropay rebate, even if you paid with Micropay dollars.

Say a book was initially $20 with a 60% rebate -- you'd use 20 Micropay dollars to pay for it, but then you'd get 12 back, so on net you'd only spent 8 of your Micropay dollars. If you belonged to the buywise club, the book would initially be $17 and you'd get $10.20 back for a net cost of $6.80. For typical backlist books that were originally $7.99, you'd get them for $3.20 or if you belonged to buywise $2.72.

And to top it all off there were several unlimited 25% off coupons around in December '09. This brought that $20 book down to $6 without buywise or $5.10 with it. Even a book starting at $30 ended up at $9/$7.65. And that $7.99 backlist book was a ridiculous $2.40/$2.04.

You just have to watch and wait for the sales. They offer 100% rebates on the buywise memberships too, a couple of times/year.

Finally Fictionwise is a *great* place for any magazine subscriptions. They are way cheaper than amazon, especially if you get a 2 year subscription, and they sell the issues as DRM-free multiformat.

The only real downer is that they are geographically restricted so those outside the US can't always buy a lot of their books. Some people have found successful work-arounds for this but others haven't gotten them to work.

-Marcy, Fictionwise addict
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #28
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
They occasionally have sales where you get a big Micropay rebate, even if paying with Micropay. For example in December 2009 every secure ebook had a 40-60% Micropay rebate, even if you paid with Micropay dollars. -Marcy, Fictionwise addict
Yes, I finally saw the light and picked up most of the Grafton and Evanovich libraries! In the past, as soon as I got a MicroRebate, I'd go look for something to spend it on and found most everything overpriced. Now, I'm thinking I will let it sit until another deal like this comes along. I did have to buy two books by credit card last night in order to get enough MicroRebate to start collecting books for free. I've got $22 in there now and I'll keep for the next sale.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #29
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Shoot, I should have read this thread more closely. I missed that you could buy them with micropay dollars, so I missed out on Janet Evanovich, but I picked up the Grafton and Leigh books. Thanks!
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fictionwise just added a new book by Lora Leigh, Nauti Deceptions and its also on 100% micropay. So better get it fast before the promotion is over.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote