Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
fallplanet
fallplanet began at the beginning.

Device: ipad (Kindle)
Downloading Kindle books as an .mobi file

I would like to download books I have on my Kindle (iPad) as a .mobi file on my computer. Can I do this with Calibre companion? If so, how do I do it?
fallplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You set up Calibre to prefer Mobi over other formats on a Wireless device Connection.

But Why Mobi? AZW3 has all the newer features that EPUB2 allows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
fallplanet

AZW3 or epub format are fine too.
How would I download them? Is that possible?
Old 11-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallplanet View Post
AZW3 or epub format are fine too.
How would I download them? Is that possible?
EPUB is not a Kindle format. Calibre can convert it to AZW3 with ease, since that is mostly a wrapper for EPUB.

I don't understand your download question. CC is ONLY a companion to Calibre. It has to connect to a Calibre Library.
Do you have a Calibre Library? Is it hosted on a PC (MAC, Linux or Win)?
or is it in the cloud (supported by CC) << I will be of no help on this mode
Old 11-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
I'm not sure that it's possible to download the books from iPad to PC. Calibre Companion is for UPLOADING the books to the tablet or phone, not the reverse. Maybe if you use CC to connect as wireless device to Calibre running in your PC, then Calibre will be able to treat the device as a external storage and grab the books, but I haven't tried, that's not what it was designed to do. Given the tendency of Amazon to obfuscate its content, probably you'll pick a binary file that you won't be able to read.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
I'm not sure that it's possible to download the books from iPad to PC. Calibre Companion is for UPLOADING the books to the tablet or phone, not the reverse. Maybe if you use CC to connect as wireless device to Calibre running in your PC, then Calibre will be able to treat the device as a external storage and grab the books, but I haven't tried, that's not what it was designed to do. Given the tendency of Amazon to obfuscate its content, probably you'll pick a binary file that you won't be able to read.
CC uses the term Download (IMHO correctly) to PULL from Calibre.
Upload would be a Push from CC to someplace else (which it can't currently do).
OTOH Using Wireless Device Connection: You do Upload FROM Calibre (a push), just like you would do over USB or e-mail
Old 11-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OTOH Using Wireless Device Connection: You do Upload FROM Calibre (a push)
Using the Wireless Device and CC, you can both "push" books from calibre to the device and "pull" books from the device to calibre. For the latter the book(s) must be in CC's database. You do this from calibre's device view while CC is connected.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Using the Wireless Device and CC, you can both "push" books from calibre to the device and "pull" books from the device to calibre. For the latter the book(s) must be in CC's database. You do this from calibre's device view while CC is connected.
I knew that.
The OP needs to get them into the DB in the first place. (My excuse is I started when CC could only get books into the DB via Calibre. CC has improved the capabilities)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
fallplanet

I do have calibre on my computer.
So can I use calibre companion to get the Kindle books onto calibre on my computer??
Old 11-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I do have calibre on my computer.
So can I use calibre companion to get the Kindle books onto calibre on my computer??
If you were using an Android device then the answer is probably "yes". As you are using an Apple device the answer is almost certainly "no". My understanding is that iOS won't let CC "see" books that aren't in its database. I don't own an Apple device so I could be wrong.

Note that there might be other ways to transfer the books from the iPad to the calibre computer. I have no idea what those ways might be.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
fallplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you were using an Android device then the answer is probably "yes". As you are using an Apple device the answer is almost certainly "no". My understanding is that iOS won't let CC "see" books that aren't in its database. I don't own an Apple device so I could be wrong.

Note that there might be other ways to transfer the books from the iPad to the calibre computer. I have no idea what those ways might be.
Thanks for your reply. 6USD down the drain then :S I bought calibre companion by mistake yesterday. Was really sleep deprived and wasn't thinking straight. Would have normally checked with people online first.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. 6USD down the drain then :S I bought calibre companion by mistake yesterday. Was really sleep deprived and wasn't thinking straight. Would have normally checked with people online first.
Buy an Android device, I think your license is still good
Old 11-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Buy an Android device, I think your license is still good
Nope, different stores, different license, you have to buy it again
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote