Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 PM   #31
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
I like the sounds of that. How are you liking the unit so far? I read on another site that it's not an IR screen, but is the screen nice still?
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
That's... unfortunate.
Well... maybe and maybe not. Maybe someone will fix the firmware for both of them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Not surprising though.

On the plus side, it means we should be able to root it just as easily as the 3s.
And if someone could figure out how to get a Bluetooth keyboard to pair to it, you could even use it for writing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 12:22 AM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
I like the sounds of that. How are you liking the unit so far? I read on another site that it's not an IR screen, but is the screen nice still?
No IR? That's the first I've heard (one way or the other).
Old 05-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #34
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No IR? That's the first I've heard (one way or the other).
Yeah a user by the name Sportsbike Mike on one of the other blogs said he got one and it's not IR. Just going off that.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Yeah a user by the name Sportsbike Mike on one of the other blogs said he got one and it's not IR. Just going off that.
Okay. But the screen seemed pretty sharp (without the light) anyhow.
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #36
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Aaaaaaaaand it's STILL out of stock on line!

This reminds me of the flurry generated when Kobo sold off its last dozen or so Minis a few years back.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #37
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Given the speculation about the batch size on the initial shipment of kindles way back in 2007, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't or couldn't order a big initial shipment to try to make it sound more popular than it is.

And the fact that goodereader, some random youtuber, and... PCMag, iirc, are the only reviews I've seen so far...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #38
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Not surprising though.

On the plus side, it means we should be able to root it just as easily as the 3s.
Once rooted, is it possible to add your own font to the reader?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #39
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Has anyone compared the sharpness and contrast with the NG3?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #40
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
20 June. STILL sold out on line.

Will it ever be seen again? Talk about your flash-in-the-pan.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #41
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:

I know! That is really ridiculous. I bought mine on June 6th. They only had two at the store then. Now they are sold out and not sure when they will get more. I have never seen a company as good at shooting themselves in the foot as Barnes & Noble is.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #42
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
Smile

Quote:

I bought my flash-in-the-pan May 29 for $179, and it is 8th and most favorite reader ever (Glowlight 3 is in second place, Kindle Voyage third). No regrets, love the buttons, the warm light, how easy it is to hold, and most of all, the 7.8" screen. I've had no issues with side-loading (everything on it is side-loaded). I have the Aura One with its gorgeous screen, ease of side-loading books and fonts, but a balky touch screen that drives me nuts. I use it only to read Pocket articles these days. I hope B&N will get more of their new reader and promote it properly, and that it won't just become a unicorn of sorts.
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #43
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
I am surprised how much I am enjoying this device - I thought it would be a little large and unwieldy, but it is very comfortable and I do like the larger screen more than I thought I would.

The resolution is so good as well - I'm reading a new book on the Revolutionary War ("The British are Coming" - it's excellent) and it has some very detailed maps. In previous ereaders, I've always hated reading books with detailed maps, but being able to read the maps without zooming is great - and when zooming in on them it's even better.

I have VIA browser installed on it for web browsing - it looks great and is super-usable (best eReader for web browsing that I've ever had).

Backlight is great (as good as NG3) - it's snappier than my NG3... overall I'm very pleased.

The ONLY downside for me is that it's slightly less portable - once in a great while I would put the NG3 in a cargo shorts pocket or a coat pocket which I can't do with this. However, I've gotten a nice neoprene sleeve (one made for an Ipad Mini) and I'm fine with just carrying it around like a book.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Good to hear about it being comfortable to hold. I'm seriously considering it... now if B&N would only get off his a$$ and get the new Nook in stock again.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #45
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Has anyone compared the sharpness and contrast with the NG3?
To my eyes the Glowlight 3 is sharpest. That being said, both devices are 300ppi, so the smaller screen would naturally be sharper, right? I think contrast is slightly better on the Glowlight 3, which has the best screen I've ever seen, but at 6" that screen is much more of a problem for my aging eyes. It's still my "on the go" reader, as it certainly fits my purse better than the Plus does. I know their design is rather "homely" compared to Kobo and Kindle but like the old saying goes, "pretty is as pretty does".
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote