Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Oasis 3 warm tones

Just posting this as it shows clearly the sepia tones of my Oasis 3. This is it at brightness 12 and warmth OFF. I was going in to the menu to reduce the warmth, as it is now daylight here, and was surprised to see this as the coolest it can go. I personally love the sepia look, but I appreciate it’s not for everyone.

I also added the Decal Girl skin as I love the effect of one large page. This was in order to stop me buying a Kobo Libra - white ereaders are my favorite.. so far, it’s worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4ECF47D-D6F1-42FC-AB54-F73640667C6A.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	1,009.3 KB
ID:	175008  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:24 AM   #2
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
It quite depends per device. I tried 4 Oases and 1 screen was very yellow, two were quite white and one was a bit in between. I kept the one with the whitest screen and the least lighting gradient.

Oh, and by the way, it's an optical illusion, but light bezels (or skins) make the screen look less white.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Here it is with the bezel cut out of the picture. I am aware the surround has an illusory effect, but I included it to show the decal. The screen with orange light off is sepia, it’s not an illusion.

I hope you are happy with the one you decided to keep - I had a lot of trouble getting an Oasis 2 I was happy with, so I’m glad to have got it right first time (for me) with this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F2711EBE-5948-4F79-B9CE-AE1D76700BFA.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	175024  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
if my oasis comes looking like that it's going back the same day and not sure I'll order a replacement
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
if my oasis comes looking like that it's going back the same day and not sure I'll order a replacement
My screen is pretty white but I know it really varies per device.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
My screen is pretty white but I know it really varies per device.
thank you. fingers crossed for nice and bright, white-white lighting. yellow/gray screens make me nuts due to old eyes syndrome.

there's always the night mode which has its own benefits, but wouldn't it be nice to get a good screen first time out?

I usually go through three before finding a keeper. when I tried the most recent PW it was so dark and gray, even on the brightest setting, that I just sent it back and didn't bother with a reorder.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Just got my Oasis 3 on Saturday after buying it on Amazon on Thanksgiving Day. Here are screen photos taken with my iPhone XR and edited to make them closely match the actual screens on my O3. I will say though that the O3 screen looks much better than these photos illustrate and that it is really consistent throughout rather than showing shades like the photos and it is not as vibrant as the colors shown in the photos. Taking photos of a glassed screen is always going to be somewhat inaccurate. But the shading is close enough to judge the O3. Mine is really good. It can go from near pure white to a gross pee yellow and anything in between.

Trust me the Oasis screen looks terrific and these photos don’t do it justice. Bare in mind that I’m historically one of the biggest critics of Kindles with lighted screens, but Amazon finally got it right with the Oasis 3.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9F92CF27-AE85-4732-94A4-B0FC6014813C.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	175311   Click image for larger version

Name:	3AE9EDC4-E2C2-4DFF-945E-7E71C844DDD0.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	175312   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F1BD0CB-86CB-4E07-91FB-76B9666EEA61.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	175313   Click image for larger version

Name:	D723F91B-93C9-4AB2-B830-E7B530589813.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	175314  

Last edited by OtinG; 12-03-2019 at 06:08 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Trust me the Oasis screen looks terrific and these photos don’t do it justice. Bare in mind that I’m historically one of the biggest critics of Kindles with lighted screens, but Amazon finally got it right with the Oasis 3.

wow! thanks for doing this. that helps a lot. may work for me if it's as good as your first pic. I don't care about the amber lighting at all. would rather go night mode instead.

eta: it's that gross yellow pee look I hate most of all

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-03-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
wow! thanks for doing this. that helps a lot. may work for me if it's as good as your first pic. I don't care about the amber lighting at all. would rather go night mode instead.

eta: it's that gross yellow pee look I hate most of all
At night time I use the Invert Black and White option. I do use the warmth setting to warm up the inverted text to a pale yellow though as that helps my eyes by lessening the “mini blinds” effect one can get from the inverted mode. During the day I prefer a pale yellow background with black text, but I leave the light as low as possible. If outside, or when the room is flooded with sunlight, I turn the light all the way off. This is my first Oasis to own or even see. I tried several PW 1s and 2s but hated their screens. I currently have a new Basic with light, and even though it is better than the early PW’s, it still isn’t very good and has that awful bluish tint. The Oasis 3 is way better than all the other light models I’ve ever tried. I think you will like it.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-03-2019 at 08:14 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
At night time I use the Invert Black and White option. I do use the warmth setting to warm up the inverted text to a pale yellow though as that helps my eyes by lessening the “mini blinds” effect one can get from the inverted mode.
another excellent tip. yes, when using night mode I do prefer the white to be less so, usually gray tones, but a bit of amber might be okay.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

kind of excited. my Oasis 3 is being delivered today... finally
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
kind of excited. my Oasis 3 is being delivered today... finally
Look out when populating it. I've found so many horrible bugs in Amazon's systems when populating mine: I do wonder if they test their stuff at all.

Among many others: trying to push-download from the Manage Your Kindle screen pushes 32 books and then claims to have pushed the rest but actually doesn't; the cloud collections appear to register additions to collections but not removals, so some of my collections have huge amounts of ancient debris in them; and after pulling in about 150 books by the old-school method of triggering a download for each one in turn, this brand-new Kindle went from being very slow to being locked up solid, so solid it couldn't even flip to the screensaver when you hit the power button. It's still pulling stuff off the net so I'm leaving it on the charger overnight, and then I can download some more. I have about a thousand more books to go. This is going to be very, very boring.

The Oasis 1, despite its much slower processor, had none of these problems, but that was probably just luck. Amazon's (non-AWS) software is renowned in the industry for being a pile of badly-tested crap tied together with string and baling wire that breaks whenever you do anything remotely unusual, and I think this is just a sign of that.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Look out when populating it. I've found so many horrible bugs in Amazon's systems when populating mine: I do wonder if they test their stuff at all. ... Amazon's (non-AWS) software is renowned in the industry for being a pile of badly-tested crap tied together with string and baling wire that breaks whenever you do anything remotely unusual, and I think this is just a sign of that.
Ha. Reading that, I'm really happy I keep all my stuff in Calibre and sideload from there. If I'm feeling extremely lazy, I sometimes use the Send-to-Kindle app, but that's rare. I don't have the slightest wish to deal with the Amazon Cloud, after reading about various downloading woes for years. The last time I used it was probably 6-7 years ago, and it doesn't seem to be much better these days.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I love the orange at the highest light level. sp pretty but a battery drainer
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Ha. Reading that, I'm really happy I keep all my stuff in Calibre and sideload from there. If I'm feeling extremely lazy, I sometimes use the Send-to-Kindle app, but that's rare. I don't have the slightest wish to deal with the Amazon Cloud, after reading about various downloading woes for years. The last time I used it was probably 6-7 years ago, and it doesn't seem to be much better these days.
Even more bugs! Manage Your Kindle has a thing that alleges to show you the contents of your cloud collections, but they all appear empty: some things appear in cloud collections even though when you look to see what collections that item is a member of, its entry for that collection is unchecked, and you can't then remove that item from that collection at all without deleting the entire collection across all Kindles and repopulating it from scratch...

It's a complete disaster area -- and this is the *only* customizable means of cataloguing our books that Amazon allow us.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote