Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
faultinyourlogic
faultinyourlogic began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader for text-only PDFs, 7-8 inch screen preferred

Yet another "What should I get" post... but I have specifics
Greetings, I am looking for an e-reader to replace tablet reading. Need something easier on the eyes. My budget is $300 or less. Most of my reading is text-only PDFs for work. I'd also like to read news articles from an RSS reader or something like pocket. I was looking at a paperwhite, on sale for $85, but reading here seems to say they have less than ideal PDF functionality.

Must-haves:
  • Solid reading for PDFs without conversion
  • Calibre connectivity
  • Ability to add notes
  • 6" screen
  • Frontlight
  • 300 DPI

Nice to haves:
  • 7-8" screen
  • Dropbox/Pocket integration
faultinyourlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
You did not mention the pdf size: A4 A5 ecc.
If You want Solid reading for PDFs without conversion a 6" screen is too small if it is A4/letter and depending on margins but generally also for A5.

The others must have are not so difficult to obtain (I don't use annotations so You could find something here about the possibility to export them) and calibre can handle everything with usb cable.

And for Nice to haves: 7-8" screen and Dropbox/Pocket integration: Kobo Forma has 8" screen and has Dropbox/Pocket integration. And With Forma You could easily install KOReaer that is much better with pdf. Annotations in pdf files is possible with KOReader. I own a Kobo Aura One (7.8") and for pdf is good enough but don't expect miracles, epub and similar kind of files are more suited for readers. Forma costs here € 279. I don't know how much in $.

May be there are other choices, for example some android devices (Likebook Mars or Onyx devices) because they could easily install pocket and dropbox and they could handle annotations in pdf files natively but I am not expert about them.

Last edited by ps67; 11-23-2019 at 02:49 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the cheapest option is to add a blue light filter or "reading mode" app to your existing tablet. cost : close to zero, that should make reading easier on the eyes

if you switch to e-ink devices you may struggle to find one that can add PDF annotations
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote