Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
dmaddock1
dmaddock1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
epub->mobi & kindle navpoints

Hi all, I've been happily using Calibre with my Kindle2 for months and it is awesome. Huge thanks.

My entire library is in epub format and I use Calibre to convert to mobi for my Kindle. I've noticed that sometimes the TOC 'navpoints' show up on the progress bar on my Kindle, and sometimes not. As I really like having these, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why they sometimes don't work.

First, here are some reasons I've found which I have been able to fix myself by editing the contents of the epub and re-zipping it up:

1. no ncx file
2. opf files that use the xml namespace syntax (ie opf:spine tag rather than spine, etc.)
3. html entities used in ncx file

However, I just bought a book from B&N (First Human, by Ann Gibbons) that, after fixing #3 above, still will not show the navpoints in my Kindle. This epub validator says that the file is good. Does anyone have any other ideas why this might happen?

(BTW, I think it'd be a good idea if Calibre checked for #2 & 3 above automatically.)

I'm willing to provide the above book to a Calibre developer if they're interested in testing.

Thanks.

Dave.
dmaddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
2. and 3. really shouldn't matter. I suggest you open a ticket and attach sample files showing the problem. And you can get more information about why index creation fails by looking at the conversion log by clicking the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert