Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #31
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
On a somewhat similar note, I recently had to use my appropriation rights on the PRS-505 in our house because my PRS-700 was in the shop for repairs.

I kept swiping my finger across the screen to turn the page I don't know how many times.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #32
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
After reading e-Books for at least the past 8 years or so, I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like p-Books anymore... That may be a bit sad, but it's my reality...
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
After reading e-Books for at least the past 8 years or so, I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like p-Books anymore... That may be a bit sad, but it's my reality...
Ah...........see thats what I"m fighting against. Books (paper) have always been such an important part of my life.

There are so many not available in ebook format, legally or illegally.

So........maybe the next step is learning to create an ebook from a p book?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #34
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What's TiVo? And I can't pause my tv...
It's a brand of DVR (Digital Video Recorder). It records programs to an internal hard drive so you can watch later. Since it has all the schedule data for your TV service, you can just tell it what show you want and it will go find the times. Very convenient. It also buffers as you're watching so if you need to pause or back up because you missed something, you can do that. Are they not popular where you live?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It's a brand of DVR (Digital Video Recorder). It records programs to an internal hard drive so you can watch later. Since it has all the schedule data for your TV service, you can just tell it what show you want and it will go find the times. Very convenient. It also buffers as you're watching so if you need to pause or back up because you missed something, you can do that. Are they not popular where you live?
There are HD recorders here, yes. But we don't have one. We'll be buying a new multimedia PC when we've that new TV though... (somewhere between now and the next 3 years or so...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #36
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Can I be the devil and take the other side?

I don't have a reader, and I love paper books: I love their smell, I love their feel (almost alive), I love the relationships I have with each and single one of them. Buying used books is a treat for me. Used books have a history, you can feel someone else felt the same joy, frights, exhilaration, laughs, anticipation as you are when you're reading them. Paper books are so powerful to me, I need them around.

But I still want my dad's Sony reader though...

Last edited by Verencat; 06-06-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Let's take out a "h" somewhere...:)
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Buying used books is a threat for me.
If that's true, then you owe pshrynk's laddie $300.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If that's true, then you owe pshrynk's laddie $300.
That is exactly why I don't trust (see, I initially put a "h" in that word too, would've change the meaning in a really weird way!) spellcheckers: they don't check meaning!
English puts "h"s everywhere. Why, oh why?
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #39
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Ah...........see thats what I"m fighting against. Books (paper) have always been such an important part of my life.

There are so many not available in ebook format, legally or illegally.

So........maybe the next step is learning to create an ebook from a p book?
I have done it before, now, and in the future. Make no mistake, it's work. 8-12 hours per 200 pages. That's for scan and clean-up and proofing...

You determine how important your time is....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:

I don't have a reader, and I love paper books: I love their smell, I love their feel (almost alive), I love the relationships I have with each and single one of them. Buying used books is a treat for me. Used books have a history, you can feel someone else felt the same joy, frights, exhilaration, laughs, anticipation as you are when you're reading them. Paper books are so powerful to me, I need them around.

I love pbooks still - for some things they still can't be bettered. As for 2nd hand books... it depends on how well the previous owner treated them. I rather dislike finding bits of food, squashed insects or worse in my books...

For convenience for reading on my commute, for taking shedloads of books wherever, and for replacing mmpbs which fall apart as soon as you look at them, the reader wins
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I have done it before, now, and in the future. Make no mistake, it's work. 8-12 hours per 200 pages. That's for scan and clean-up and proofing...

You determine how important your time is....
I can think of no better way to use time.

Taking a paper book and turning it into an electronic version?

Magic! (hidden under a lot of hard work.)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Ohh, me too! And that's why the lounge will be filled with them, even though I've been reading electronically for ages... And also why I just can't destroy books, even though the cover is ugly and I got them for free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I can think of no better way to use time.

Taking a paper book and turning it into an electronic version?

Magic! (hidden under a lot of hard work.)
I rather liked doing it. I haven't done all my books, but a few. Though, I do most of my proofing when reading the book. As I have a touch screen (and a WM device), I can highlight all I want while reading. And when I'm done (or I feel I've enough mistakes highlighted) I'll go back to the source, update it and create an updated book again.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #43
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Quote:

I also am eReaderless. (word of the day?) And I also love used books. I have many many used books, and I have always loved buying 2nd hand.... Until last week when I bought a 2nd hand copy of a book and learned a nasty little lesson. I always look a book over, and throughout, before buying but I never smell them. Well that all changed when I bought a book, last week, owned by a smoker. Nothing against smokers but I personally dislike the smell, and this book reeks of cigarette stench. I couldn't even read the book, I swear the previous owner must have ashed in it as they read. The worst part is the smell didn't become a problem until about the 3rd chapter and I was hooked. I had to go out and buy the book new so I ended up spending 125% on what it was actually worth.

Long story short. I can't wait until I get a eReader.

Moral of the story: Smell used books! (Beware this may not be pleasant!)

Mike
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #44
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:

My floorboards are groaning under the weight of all my pbooks and I can't bring myself to give any of them away. ebooks just let me read even more!

Well, your dad will just have to buy you a Sony.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #45
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Same here! And I always try to push the page turn button when reading a paper book
....I can never get dictionary lookup to work in a paper book ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote