Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Need info on FB2 versions

I hate the built-in mobireader and use Fiction Book 2, the version that does not give access to the menus. I also run FB2 on a Nokia n800 and find it works very well on that platform. But on the Iliad, it is extremely difficult to navigate without menus -- can't get the TOC, search for text, etc. And, of course, the only way to change the defaults is to edit the registry file. Apparently there is an Iliad version of FB2 that does give access to menus, but I read it also has problems (is slower, has issues updating pages among other things). Could someone who has run both versions give me some advice -- which is better? How would I go about uninstalling the version I have and installing the version with menus? Thanks.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The reader software is FBReader. It reads FB2 ebooks, but also many other formats. See FBReader 0.8.4 for the version with menus. It is slow to turn pages, but I continue to use it as my main reader on the iLiad.

There is a problem going from v0.8.14 back to v0.8.4. You need to completely uninstall v0.8.14 first before installing v0.8.4, but there isn't an uninstaller included with 0.8.14. So I did this from a mrxvt window, I think all is required is a single command but I don't remember the exact command I used.

The registry support is a separate issue. If you uninstall 0.8.14, the registry will still want to invoke that version of FBReader for .fb2 files (say). There is a registry installer for 0.8.4 at FBReader Registry installer for 2.11, but it may not work if the registry already includes entries for 0.8.14. I use FBReader's built in file manager and library, so I have not tried getting the Registry setup for 0.8.4. It should be easier to do now that iliad-regutils is available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It turned out that a wrote an uninstaller for 0.8.14 in June, but never posted it. See FBReader uninstaller.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Thanks -- much appreciated! Before I do this, does someone have an idea how much slower 8.4 is than 8.14? I find 8.14 somewhat faster than Mobireader.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote