Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #331
thelastgunslingr
thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.thelastgunslingr is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try this for hints at how to do the upgrade and preserve the Jailbreak.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
In particular - follow along until the point where the new (KUAL) launcher is working.

And not to worry if it all goes wrong, you can always re-install the Amazon 5.3.1 image and try again.
Thank you
thelastgunslingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #332
pumpkinpbk
pumpkinpbk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyCZ View Post
Hi all,
I've got a kinda situation here.. I'm trying to update my KT from 5.1.2 to 5.3.2 but I still get the error 006. So I found out that I should uninstall jailbreak first. Unfortunatelly when i try that.. i get error 007 so i cannot proceed. Anyone has any idea? I don't care about screensavers now.. just wanna do the update :/ .

Edit: .. So i tried to reflash it .. following Small debricking guide for “noobs” and its back to normal!! Also did jailbreak 1.7N with update 5.3.2.

Thanks to all of you guys ;-)
so you jailbreaked it after it had updated to 5.3.2??how can u make it??i followed the readme and use both the data.tar.gz and data.stgz...but it just didn't work.
pumpkinpbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #333
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpbk View Post
so you jailbreaked it after it had updated to 5.3.2??how can u make it??i followed the readme and use both the data.tar.gz and data.stgz...but it just didn't work.
Correct, that does not work.
The poster did the jailbreak before the upgrade, try it that way.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #334
CaseyCZ
CaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and graceCaseyCZ herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Touch
"knc1" is correct, sorry for misunderstanding.. So this is what I did .. I refleshed it to 5.0.0 then update to 5.1.0 then jailbreak 1.7N with usbnet 0.7N and finally update 5.3.2
CaseyCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #335
mes
mes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Paper White
I am new to this forum. I have jail broken my Kindle Paperwhite and put usbnet on it. I can telnet to the kindle, but the connection only lasts for a few seconds. I have not yet succesfully ssh'd to the kindle (I am using openssh and it always asks for a password even with keys in place). So, my question is, why am I losing the connection? The firmware version is 5.3.3. I am connecting through usb from my desktop running Fedora 17. Thanks.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #336
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bad cable ?
Bad USB port?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #337
mes
mes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to beholdmes is a splendid one to behold

I have learned that I can issue this command as root on my desktop machine

Quote:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
to re-establish the connection. I also tried a different usb port. Any ideas?

More info - I now see that my network info is being lost. After I lose the connection if I run

Quote:
ifconfig usb0
I see that the inet address is gone. Only the inet6 address remains. So something in the Fedora system is undoing the
Quote:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
BTW - Thanks to all of you who have made the KPW jail break possible.

Last edited by mes; 03-02-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #338
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes View Post
I have learned that I can issue this command as root on my desktop machine
Code:
ifconfig usb0 down; ifconfig usb0 up; ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
to re-establish the connection. I also tried a different usb port. Any ideas?
If that command fixes your problems, then they (=the problems) most probably originate from your OS, not from the Kindle.

Let the Kindle sit for a while and watch the output of /var/log/syslog (and post the relevant parts here )

e.g. (for Ubuntu, not sure about Fedora, but it's probably the same)
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #339
mes

I got the problem sorted out by editting the usb0 network interface with the Fedora supplied tools rather than ifconfig. I suspect the problem resulted from DHCP still being set for the usb0 interface rather than manual ip configuraion.

What I really want to do is to use the KPW as a display for my arduino. I use gnu screen to interface to the arduino. Is there a terminal program and gnu screen for the KPW?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #340
knc1
Going Viral

Install KUAL launcher
Install kTerm

You need to install the device jailbreak before updating to v-5.3.3 -
If already at v-5.3.3, then just install the Amazon v-5.3.1 image - it can't tell that it is doing a downgrade.

More hints here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #341
mes

Thanks. I now have KUAL and kTerm installed and running. Any pointers to screen?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #342
knc1
Going Viral

I don't think there is a KUAL button for it (yet) - -
Search the forum -
I am pretty sure it has already been built (at least for something).
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #343
mes

Update: I had given up looking and decided to compile screen for myself. Then I found this

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Other_binaries

which points to here

http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-xterm/

The extra binaries are at the bottom of the page. I wish I had found it earlier.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #344
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes View Post
Update: I had given up looking and decided to compile screen for myself. Then I found this

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Other_binaries

which points to here

http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-xterm/

The extra binaries are at the bottom of the page. I wish I had found it earlier.
Why don't you add that to the Prefix_Index pages and save someone else the same grief?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #345
mes

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why don't you add that to the Prefix_Index pages and save someone else the same grief?
I don't know what the Prefix_Index pages is.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch