Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Love2Read29
Love2Read29 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying Kindle outside the U.S. with a U.S. credit card

Hi, I really want to buy a Kindle, now that it's available for my country (Israel). There are 2 books in particular that I want to buy, but unfortunately, they are limited to the U.S. Kindle store only.

I have an American credit card and account (billing address is in Israel though), so I can use it to buy the books. Would that be enough to access the U.S. store? I heard somewhere that it's possible to get kindle books to the computer and then transfer them to your Kindle, even if you're outside the U.S. - Is that true?

Thanks in advance, I'm a little clueless here...
Love2Read29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Love2Read29

someone more knowledgeable will step in soon with suggestions....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Love2Read29

Thanks Hopefully someone can help...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have an AUS credit card, with an AUS billing address, and a USA address attached to my account (a real address, I just dont live there) and use that address as my default address when ordering books. Works fine, although randomly some people get emails from Amazon, but I havent.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
ljc
ljc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am concerned about this too, as I just bought a Kindle 3 - should arrive any minute by UPS to my son's house in the US where we are currently visiting. But, 9 months of the year we live in Panama. Can I order books for my Kindle 3 in Panama with our US credit card [we use our son's address for the card]? Will I need to down load books to my computer first and then transfer them to the Kindle while in Panama? I just read that Kindle is coming out this month with a new, much more expensive International Kindle that can download books anywhere. Did I make a mistake buying the K3?
ljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Once Amazon has sold you a Kindle book (with a US card or declared US address) then you can definitely transfer it to your Kindle wherever you are. If 3G coverage for Kindle is unavailable at your location, you can always get your book via WiFi without any additional charges. Computer transfer option is needed only if you don't have WiFi or 3G coverage.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
ljc - it is possible that Amazon might temporarily block your account if they notice you buying and downloading several books outside of the US.

In your case however all you'll have to do it show them some sort of proof of your son's address and they'll lift the block.

I'm not sure what you read. Amazon has had an International Kindle for quite some time and the new models are not much more expensive. They are cheaper.

For the OP - what you need to buy US books is a US address listed on the Manage My Kindle webpage.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Love2Read29

Thank you all

abookreader - Just to clarify, in order to buy US book, I just need to list a US address on the Manage My Kindle webpage? Can I use any address, like a friend's address, even though my billing address is in Israel? Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I just want to make sure before I buy.

Thanks again
Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Read29 View Post
Thank you all
Can I use any address, like a friend's address, even though my billing address is in Israel? YES
Correct.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have a U.S. credit card with a U.S. billing address and that works for me. Amazon actually shipped my Kindles to me out of the country but I'm registered as in the U.S.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle