Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
noirbonn
noirbonn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Sony Series sorting on Device

Hello Everyone,

first of all Thxs for the great Software! It is a great work and suiten my needs very well!
The only thing I have a problem with, is that my Device does not support the series and series_index collums.
The Sony Device handle only the Tags collum so the only sort option on my reader are the tags. Now i want to know is it possible to write the series and series_index to the tags field? I have tried it within the deviceinterface plugin and have changed the default template to {author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}/{title} - {authors} and the metadata field to series. That works for me well but the the series_index is misssing on my device now. For a serie with only a few books no problem there i can look on the filesysten for ervery book but i have a serie with aboud 50 book and now it would be great to have the series_index as well in the tags fiel!

Maybe anyone knows a solution for that specific problem?

kind regards

Lars
noirbonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is not clear if you want the books to simply be in order on the Sony or actually want the series number displayed? Note that Calibre will also create collections on a Sony for Series as well as for Tags.

The one thing you have to watch for is that the Series is ordered at the Sony End in the order the books in the Series were sent from Calibre. Therefore you want to have the books sorted into Series order before sending them to the Sony. The problem is when you want to add a new book to a series (collection) already present on the Sony. That is OK if you want to add a new one at the end, but if you want to add one in the middle you first have to delete all the books in the series from the Sony and then resend them from Calibre in the (new) correct order.

To make all this work correctly you really want the series and series index set up correctly in Calibre so you can sort the books correctly.

Back to your original question - if you want the series information in the tags field then I am afraid you have to put it there manually.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirbonn View Post
The only thing I have a problem with, is that my Device does not support the series and series_index collums.
The Sony Device handle only the Tags collum so the only sort option on my reader are the tags.
By default your Sony device will take both tags and series and turn them into collections. If you sort the series in Calibre and send entire series to your device at once then within the collection they will be in series order. 1-10 on page 1, 11-20 on page 2 etc.. I also convert each of my books and insert a book jacket as the first page past the cover (via Calibre's insert metadata as page at start of book feature). I attached a sample of a book jacket, which includes series number.

That's how I handle series.

I'm not familiar with changing the folder structure to your liking. Hopefully someone will have a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	48986  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
noirbonn
noirbonn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thx's a lot for your answers:-) i didn't know that all is needed to get the series sortet on my reader is to sort them first in Callibre. Thanks for that hint this will be a good solution...
noirbonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The one thing you have to watch for is that the Series is ordered at the Sony End in the order the books in the Series were sent from Calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
By default your Sony device will take both tags and series and turn them into collections. ...
Are you guys sure? I thought that Calibre was in complete control/manages the order of collections?

There is nothing on the device itself for managing collections (adding, deleting, ...) so I thought it was up to the PC software to manage the collections?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you guys sure? I thought that Calibre was in complete control/manages the order of collections?
That is what we are saying. Calibre is in complete control/manages collections. We are both sure, the series has to be sorted by column in the Calibre Library and the entire series has to be sent to the device at once to ensure they will be in order on the Sony.

Quote:
There is nothing on the device itself for managing collections (adding, deleting, ...) so I thought it was up to the PC software to manage the collections?
Since the Sony has no way to insert books into the middle of a series if you want to add one to the center of a series you have to delete the series from the reader. Sort the series in Calibre via the series column. Select the entire series and transfer them to the device all at once. I'm wondering how we have confused you, because you seem to agree with us?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-02-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for the clarification. I was replying specifically to what I quoted. I agree that Calibre does all the work on collection management. All I'm saying is that I disagree with your statement:

Quote:
By default your Sony device will take both tags and series and turn them into collections. ...
Or are you refering to a Sony Device as some object in the Calibre software?

Quote:
Since the Sony has no way to insert books into the middle of a series if you want to add one to the center of a series you have to delete the series from the reader. Sort the series in Calibre via the series column. Select the entire series and transfer them to the device all at once. I'm wondering how we have confused you, because you seem to agree with us?
How do I delete a series from the reader?

Last edited by John F; 04-03-2010 at 07:36 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
As far as I know if there are no books in the Collection, it seems to disappear when the Sony re-scans after you have connected and then disconnected from your PC. I have never had to explicitly delete one yet.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Or are you refering to a Sony Device as some object in the Calibre software?
Sorry for the confusion, I meant when books are sent to your Sony device, in accordance with Calibre's default settings under device interface plugins, all tags (not surround by []) and series are turned into collections. See attached.

Quote:
Use Calibre to delete all of the books that make up the series. Calibre automatically removes or adds collections based on if there are any books for that collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_Device_interface_plugin.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	49138