Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #76
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Has anyone had any luck installing Savory on Kindle 2, firmware version 2.0.4 (353720025)? The system folder isn't visible when I mount my Kindle (I have show hidden folders enabled). Thanks in advance.
I still have version 2.0.3 so I can't help there but as for your sysemt folder not being visible, make sure "hide protected operating system files" is unchecked as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNHIDE.PNG
Views:	477
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	34694  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #77
Norseman
Norseman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I still have version 2.0.3 so I can't help there but as for your sysemt folder not being visible, make sure "hide protected operating system files" is unchecked as well.
Thanks, that allowed me to see the system folder. I'm still a little hesitant to install Savory, though, until there's any information about 2.0.4 being supported.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #78
eduardoare
eduardoare began at the beginning.

I have Savory 0.06 installed. For the most part, Savory runs perfectly fine but when displaying PDF files, the image is truncated due to the size of the display and will not allow me to scroll to get to the rest of the image. I am using the directional nub to scroll, and the image does scroll briefly, but then it shoots back to the top of the page. Any help/suggestions?
eduardoare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #79
goshng
goshng began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Can I download epub formated ebook? I tried to download epub formated ebooks but I cannot. I think that savory can convert pdf and epub to a format that Kindle can read. It allows to download pdf from the Kindle web browser. Can it allow to download epub as well?
goshng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #80
kipwilliams
kipwilliams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Savory Not Picking Up .pdf or .epub files.

Version 2.04 and I'm running into the problem I see mentioned much earlier in the thread. Savory doesn't find the .pdf or .epub formatted files so nothing happens. Has anyone found a workaround or fix? I'm hesitant to install the updated files mention in April.
kipwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #81
kipwilliams
kipwilliams began at the beginning.

UPDATE ** Kindle 2.04 & Savory Working Now

I downloaded the update Jesse listed earlier in this thread ( savory-image.zip from http://code.google.com/p/savory/downloads/list (savory-image-2009-04-08.zip) and my problems with pdf and epub not being recognized is gone. As soon as I disconnected from USB and restarted, Savory went to work. Takes a while but the job it did with the pdf files is fantastic. It left a file titled --nameofbook.pdf and then continued working to create --nameofbook(images) which is the full pdf with tons of viewing options. GREAT WORK. Thanks for your time on this one, Jesse.
kipwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #82
Norseman
Norseman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipwilliams View Post
UPDATE ** Kindle 2.04 & Savory Working Now

I downloaded the update Jesse listed earlier in this thread ( savory-image.zip from http://code.google.com/p/savory/downloads/list (savory-image-2009-04-08.zip) and my problems with pdf and epub not being recognized is gone. As soon as I disconnected from USB and restarted, Savory went to work. Takes a while but the job it did with the pdf files is fantastic. It left a file titled --nameofbook.pdf and then continued working to create --nameofbook(images) which is the full pdf with tons of viewing options. GREAT WORK. Thanks for your time on this one, Jesse.
Just to be clear, you weren't able to get savory-image-2009-04-10.zip to work with Kindle 2.0.4, only savory-image-2009-04-08.zip?
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #83
arckal
arckal began at the beginning.

Lightbulb Does Savory convert DRM protected files?

I have recently updated Savory on my Kindle 2, and found it does not do anything when I moved few PDFs on my device. Wonder if this is something about DRM thingy? However currently I am using Mobi Creators Publisher (Windows based) to convert my PDFs but I am not happy with it results since it looses lots of formatting things, like Table of contents and Columns, tables etc. Is there any other good software (freeware) which can nicely convert my docs to read on Kindle 2 without loosing much formating?

thanks!
Arc
arckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #84
arckal

Talking It's working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Just to be clear, you weren't able to get savory-image-2009-04-10.zip to work with Kindle 2.0.4, only savory-image-2009-04-08.zip?
Its working with savory-image-2009-04-08.zip which I beleive is BETA, but fact is its started working right after restart (took few seconds to start). Over all process is very slow, but works. Still its going on. I'll update more once I'll compare the two original and converted.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #85
arckal

Savory working but very slow

I wonder if anybody faced this issue, on my Kindle 2, it takes lot of time to convert a PDF file.

Also there are few instances where I saw formatting gets loose like heading text, TOC, tables etc.

Is there any better way to convert PDF files to read on Kindle 2?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #86
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arckal View Post
I wonder if anybody faced this issue, on my Kindle 2, it takes lot of time to convert a PDF file.

Also there are few instances where I saw formatting gets loose like heading text, TOC, tables etc.

Is there any better way to convert PDF files to read on Kindle 2?
Have you tried PDFRead?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #87
rbhamilton
rbhamilton began at the beginning.

PDF's

If your PDF is mostly text just e-mail it to <yourname>@free.kindle.com then download it and copy it to your kindle. If you have an extra 10 cents you can email it to <yourname>@kindle.com and it will show up via whispernet.

If your PDF has a lot of graphics or tables... just forget it or read it on your lap top. It's going to end up looking like crap on the Kindle 2. No program available today can properly render an 8.5 x 11" page on a tiny little 6" screen. You won't be able to read it. And E-Paper doesn't zoom or pan very well. So like I said, forget it.

You can get the Kindle DX. It's got a bigger 9" screen but I still find a full 8.5x11" page is too small to properly read. You can turn the DX on it's side and read the top half of the PDF first then scroll down and read the bottom half. Of course that doesn't work for magazines because they tend to be in columns and all that scrolling up and down makes the process unpleasant.

I found the DX a bit too big and a bit too heavy so I returned mine and went back to the Kindle 2.

Until the Kindle 3 or 4 or whatever comes out with proper pan and zoom capabilities I don't think graphical PDF's are worth the bother for the Kindle 2 or the DX. Just read them on your lap top or print them out and read them on paper. Much nicer experience. But for text based PDF's... Amazon's free conversion is easy and works great.

As for Savory, it does work... but it's buggy and slow. I found it caused problems when Amazon tried to update me. I had a few tense moments thinking I'd bricked my Kindle. No more of that stuff for me!

Bob
rbhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #88
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Have you tried PDFRead?
I think PDFRead is faster, although I haven't used in a while and can't remember by what %.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #89
larryy
larryy began at the beginning.

no luck, and how long?

I was hopeful when savory-image.ext3 (savory-image-2009-04-10.zip) seemed to install successfully using update_Savory-0.06.bin following the instructions on Jesse Vincent's Savory page. I did the update, the Kindle 2 [firmware 2.0.3 (327610024)] restarted, and it now shows "UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.06" along the bottom of the screen on the Settings page.

But I dragged three PDF files into the "documents" folder, unmounted and unplugged from USB, restarted the Kindle, and waited. And waited, and waited, and waited. About 7 1/2 hours later, there was still no hint that the PDF documents were present or that Savory was doing anything. I connected back up to the computer and the PDF files are still sitting there, but there are no correspondingly titled converted (or converting) files.

Unfortunately there's no Sprint signal here at home, so I can't try downloading a PDF from a browser. (I could live with a solution that only converted the files that way.)

According to a somewhat dated hacking the Kindle blog, the Kindle used to support collections of PNG files in a folder, treating it as a single book full of graphics pages. So I converted a PDF document to a folder full of PNG files, copied it to a newly created "pictures" folder on the Kindle, and... Nada. The Kindle just ignores it.

I launched a virtual Windows XP machine (normally I'm on Mac) and tried Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Publisher Edition on one of these PDFs that has equations and figures in it, and two columns... It didn't even flow the text correctly, never mind the butchered equations. It was worse than Amazon's PDF to .azw conversion.

I guess I'll go try PDFRead now. But I don't have high hopes. And I sure hate having to go to Windows to do this. Feh.

When people say Savory takes a long time to do a conversion, umm, how long is long? And do you see any intermediate folders or files if you browse the Kindle while it's working? I'd like to know if Savory is doing *anything*. Also, if anyone has any hints about how to get Savory working, and why it's not for me, I'd really appreciate hearing them. I have to read a lot of technical papers / journal articles, and am desperate to get them on my Kindle. Thanks for any help!
larryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #90
larryy
larryy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryy View Post
I guess I'll go try PDFRead now. But I don't have high hopes. And I sure hate having to go to Windows to do this.
Just FYI, I got PDFRead (1.8.2) to work reasonably well on Mac OS X 10.5.x, but it took a lot of effort getting all the pieces together, and required some minor hacking of PDFRead itself. Details here.

Last edited by larryy; 11-01-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Link to PDFRead details instead of including them here in Savory thread
larryy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory