Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Kraebber
Kraebber began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Foreign Dictionaries for Kindle 2

Whcih foreign language dictionaries work??
Kraebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So many replies. Apparently, zero?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Probably none, see New dictionary.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraebber View Post
Whcih foreign language dictionaries work??
English

Sorry, just wanted to point out English is a foreign language for some of us
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Hopefully, being able to use a foreign dictionary will someday become a Kindle feature. It'd sure help me in reading French or German texts.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Woofer
Woofer began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Depending on your needs, there's quite a few foreign dictionaries available on the Internet that can be converted fairly easily to .mobi. A good resource for this is the StarDict project.

For example, my default dictionary on the kindle right now is the XMLittré, a 19th Century French dictionary that works better than modern dictionaries for all the Dumas and de Maupassant I'm reading right now.

Dual-language (like French-English) dictionaries are a bit rarer, though. And, unfortunately, I don't really understand the copyright on a lot of this stuff well enough to feel comfortable posting conversions of them. For example, there's a bunch of free dual-language dictionaries at http://www.microsoft.com/reader/down...tionaries.aspx, but I don't think conversions of them can be distributed.
Woofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
Dual-language (like French-English) dictionaries are a bit rarer, though. And, unfortunately, I don't really understand the copyright on a lot of this stuff well enough to feel comfortable posting conversions of them.
I agree that posting dictionaries can be problematic, but a tutorial using a particular freely available dual-language example file (such as those from MicroSoft) would be very helpful. See I would pay $100 for an English-Portuguese dictionary.. for a similar request.

There is a tutorial of this kind for English dictionaries, see Converting Encarta Dictionaries to Mobipocket Tutorial. Also: How to create your own mobipocket dictionary for any language:.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Using browser to direct yourself to dictionaries online should work.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
These Kindle Dictionaries work
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote