Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #106
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
That sounds like a good approach to design the UI for an Industrial Milling Machine, but this is a tablet. People don't need a tablet, you have to make them want a tablet. You need design elements that can surprise and delight, not settle for adequately functional. I buy tools and appliances that are adequately functional, the bar is much higher for toys.
Actually, a lot of my professional experience just happens to be EXACTLY in "Industrial Milling Machine" user interface design (really). How did you figure that out?

I have a HUGE collection of "tech toys", and I like them to be easy to use without too many UI "surprises". "Delightful" eye candy is nice for awhile, but I usually disable that to get better performance from the basic "meat and potatoes" functionality after I am done exploring its nooks and crannies.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-15-2012 at 12:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #107
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
interesting...i may try this out. i shall have to backup my data. good thing most are on the cloud.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #108
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jessica, might i ask for the specific guide you used in installing JB? It's going to be my first time rooting a device and i'm quite frustrated already. plus, i hooked up the usb cable from my original kindle to my KF, and it won't install the kindle drive.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #109
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Actually, a lot of my professional experience just happens to be EXACTLY in "Industrial Milling Machine" user interface design (really). How did you figure that out?
Just a lucky guess, don't worry, I'm not stalking you and watching your every move.....or am I?
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #110
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
jessica, might i ask for the specific guide you used in installing JB? It's going to be my first time rooting a device and i'm quite frustrated already. plus, i hooked up the usb cable from my original kindle to my KF, and it won't install the kindle drive.
I use the USB cord from my K3, so you should be alright. The guides make it really confusing for someone who has never done this before (the guides are out of date anyway), so I'll post some instructions myself:

You want the Kindle Fire Utility from this link, it has everything you need:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399889

1. When you get it, unzip it and run install_drivers.bat It'll take care of the drivers for you. After you plug the Kindle back in, run run.bat to install the recovery/bootloader.

2. DO NOT use ClockworkMod. TWRP is the preferred recovery because it doesn't mess with our partitions.

3. You want to install the latest version of FireFireFire too (it changes the Kindle logo to blue by the way, don't be afraid of that!).

4. After that, you're pretty much done. If you get stuck, it's because you're still in Fastboot mode, and you just need to set the mode to normal.

It's much easier to understand when you have the program open in front of you.

Then you hit the power button a few times until at the bottom it says
-- Recovery -- and then restore to factory settings, wipe the cache, dalvik cache, and system. Then hit Install and install the ROM and Google Apps. Reboot, and you should have a Kindle running Jelly Bean.

As a last suggestion, I'd recommend you load the ROM and GApps zips beforehand, that way you don't have to mount the internal Sdcard in recovery just to save time and battery.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #111
wyndslash
Wizard

thanks, i'll give it another go i have to admit, the whole thing makes me nervous, but i'm very excited too

i downloaded TWRP. how should i install it?

Last edited by wyndslash; 07-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #112
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks, i'll give it another go i have to admit, the whole thing makes me nervous, but i'm very excited too

i downloaded TWRP. how should i install it?
If anything, you can always download the latest Amazon update, rename it from bin to zip and go back to stock too.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #113
wyndslash
Wizard

EDIT: I'm running run.bat and so far so good
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #114
wyndslash
Wizard

i'm stuck on '...waiting for device.'
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #115
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
i'm stuck on '...waiting for device.'
Power on and off the Kindle. Think it wants it to reboot.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #116
wyndslash
Wizard

i've already rebooted it quite a number of times, and it still says waiting for device.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #117
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"i've already rebooted it quite a number of times, and it still says waiting for device. "

Why put yourselves through this?
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #118
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Why put yourselves through this?
hah, i finally got through that little hump
Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #119
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
hah, i finally got through that little hump
And...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #120
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
And...
AND I GOT JELLY BEAN YAY. thanks, jessica karma for you