Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #3331
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It's annoying that it's only available for free in SD, but useful none the less. A good site to see what's available (and at what cost), is: Just Watch.

Note: This site works for a whole range of countries, including Canada, US, and UK.
It's not as bad as if it were in 480p. It's available in 720p but still not true 720p.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #3332
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I find myself less and less willing to watch SD content. There's still not all that much 4K content, but at least HD looks good on a 4K TV. But SD content doesn't really look all that great. But I get it -- YMMV.
I too find I'm not liking SD content these days. Though I can mostly accept it if it's run on an HD channel.

I do have access to the remake of Far from the Madding Crowd on a streaming service. As for HD, my 65" LG OLED C1 does an excellent job of upscaling.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #3333
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, Charlie. Very useful. I’m generally limited to Hoopla and Prime because free, but this will let me eliminate stuff.
I use JustWatch a lot. I use it to see what's new on my streaming services and when I want to look up something to see if I can stream it. That's how I found out about the remake being available. I use the iOS app.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #3334
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve been avoiding Audible deals for a long time, but I fell for the three free months in Canada. I figure I can maximize the value by concentrating on Plus offerings over the three months. First up is Thomas Hardy’s second novel (I gather the first is close to unreadable), Under the Greenwood Tree. It’s a slight effort, a pleasant romance that’s quite humorous (I couldn’t possibly draw a line from this to Jude the Obscure) and read by the incomparable Simon Vance, so good enough.

Canada doesn’t seem to have the depth of Plus titles as found in the US, but for what I’m paying, I’m not complaining.

Last edited by issybird; 10-21-2022 at 05:49 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:37 PM   #3335
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I moved on to a few Don Winslow shorts (narrated by Ed Harris), and have started Mur Lafferty's "The Ophelia Network". All from the Plus catalog.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-21-2022 at 08:01 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #3336
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next up for me on Canadian Plus is Mary Gaskell’s first novel, Mary Barton, ready by Juliet Stevenson. This is very pleasant, but Gaskell’s no Trollope or Eliot. Pure Victorian suds.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #3337
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Next up for me on Canadian Plus is Mary Gaskell’s first novel, Mary Barton, ready by Juliet Stevenson. This is very pleasant, but Gaskell’s no Trollope or Eliot. Pure Victorian suds.
Abandoned. Plodding and ponderous. It needed to be shorter or better written. I
Old 10-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #3338
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Listening to Saul Bellow's Humboldt's Gift read by Christopher Hunt. Its the Blackstone Audio version from 2008 and was available through my library app.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:17 AM   #3339
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to Harbinger by Wen Spencer, read by Tanya Eby. This is the fifth in her Elfhome series, and it's been a LONG wait for it, but so far seems worth it. The narrator is good, but not great. The sort of narrator where if I were looking at a possible book, and I saw she was narrating it, I'd think "Oh. OK.", but not "Oh, definitely".
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:26 PM   #3340
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've been listening to Classic Tales of Ghosts and Vampires, vols 1, 2 and now on 3 from Audible. These are all public domain, less well known stories by various authors such as Bram Stoker, Ambrose Bierce, and narrated by various professional narrators such as Nigel Anthony, William Dufris, Liza Ross. I very much enjoyed Volume 1, but 2 and 3 have had nothing that said 'keeper' to me. Interesting stories but not really a draw to me. Should be done today or tomorrow and then moving on to a new narration of Dracula.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #3341
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just began Claire North (Catherine Webb)'s Ithaca. Narrated by Catrin Walker-Booth. I'm just going to save myself the paraphrasing headache and post the publisher's blurbage. I will mention that the story is told from the POV of Hera, and that a second book is planned for 2023. Both are collectively referred to as The Songs of Penelope series.

Quote:
This is the story of Penelope of Ithaca, famed wife of Odysseus, as it has never been told before. Beyond Ithaca's shores, the whims of gods dictate the wars of men. But on the isle, it is the choices of the abandoned women - and their goddesses - that will change the course of the world.

'The greatest power we women can own is that which we take in secret.'

Seventeen years ago, King Odysseus sailed to war with Troy, taking with him every man of fighting age from the isle of Ithaca. None of them has returned, and the women of Ithaca have been left behind to run the kingdom.

Penelope was barely into womanhood when she wed Odysseus. While he lived, her position was secure. But now, years on, speculation is mounting that her husband is dead, and suitors are beginning to knock at her door.

No one man is strong enough to claim Odysseus's empty throne - not yet. But as everyone waits for the balance of power to tip, Penelope knows that any choice she makes could plunge Ithaca into bloody civil war....

From the multi award-winning Claire North comes a daring, exquisite and moving tale that breathes life into ancient myth, and tells of the women who stand defiant in a world ruled by ruthless men. It's time for the women of Ithaca to tell their tale....

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:19 PM   #3342
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just began Claire North (Catherine Webb)'s Ithaca. Narrated by Catrin Walker-Booth. I'm just going to save myself the paraphrasing headache and post the publisher's blurbage. I will mention that the story is told from the POV of Hera, and that a second book is planned for 2023. Both are collectively referred to as The Songs of Penelope series.
I hope you will let us know what you think of it. I've decided I'd like to sample a couple of the recent retellings of Greek myths; I am planning to first revisit Bulfinch's Mythology as a foundation.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #3343
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I hope you will let us know what you think of it.
I certainly will. It's been quite enjoyable so far (though I've only just started). I've found the narrator to be excellent, and I like the pacing and thoroughness of the writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am planning to first revisit Bulfinch's Mythology as a foundation.
This seems like something I should probably do. My mythology studies were long ago, and while the names are familiar, I find myself not always remembering everyone's particulars.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #3344
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I certainly will. It's been quite enjoyable so far (though I've only just started). I've found the narrator to be excellent, and I like the pacing and thoroughness of the writing.

This seems like something I should probably do. My mythology studies were long ago, and while the names are familiar, I find myself not always remembering everyone's particulars.
Yes, I figure I need to know the traditional versions of the stories so I can judge the retellings.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #3345
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently listening to The Black Pearl by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Very good historical fiction which follows a family from its beginnings to just before WW2. The current book is staged just after the death of Cromwell. My Mom had read most of this series and recommended it but the audios only go to book 20. From there it will be reading to book 35. This is book 5.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations