Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #31
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You are free to use the ePubs on ANY reader that supports Adobe DRM.....

What is so hard about that!!!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #32
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 Tablet/Laptop, Lumia 930, Kobo Vox (Retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhunter View Post
Thanks Sharkus. This is what I wanted to know. So Kobo is not so "free" after all. So much for all the dumb splashes all over their website. I'm tied to their platform.

Yes, could you pls PM me the location of the files.

Thanks.
Why are the splashes dumb? they mention you can read anywhere, which is true
why do you think you are tied to Kobo?, my purchases aren't, I can read on any adobe epub device

It has been mentioned many times

If you want to use the books on other devices, download the epub version from the website.
If you use a Kobo device let it do it's own thing and it uses the auto downloaded epubs (kepubs), which are not compatible with other apps

ps look in your home folder, under Library\Application Support you will find kobo docs here in a kobo folder, but cant do anything with them (this is on Lion, might be slightly different in earlier versions)

you still haven't clarified how your kobo books are in iTunes (sorry if i missed it), if you have them here you must have downloaded all the files already

Last edited by paulsalter; 06-22-2012 at 05:28 AM.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
ashtreex
ashtreex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
What I do ...

I agree, why offer download as epub and not send a file?

However, I have a Kobo and I like to have my ebooks on my various computers as well.

I use Calibre (donation ware, download for free) to store ebooks from various vendors, including Kobo.

The easiest tho clunky way I've found is via the Sony Reader desktop software (download for free). Then click on the .acsm link you get from the Kobo download, and the Reader desktop software will open up and show the book in the library.

Then, you can drag the book from the Reader library into your Calibre library. Calibre stores the books in a folder, Calibre Library, in Documents. You also have lots of options for saving a book to disk from Calibre.

I don't know about books in iTunes, I'm not too keen on iTunes except for music. But once you have put the book through this process there may be a way to import the file.
ashtreex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
If you're downloading the .acsm file from Kobo, why not just install ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) and open the file there? You can then find the file in the Digital Editions folder and drag it wherever you need.

iBooks, well, they would have Fairplay DRM on them, so you may easily be able to grab the file itself, but getting rid of the DRM would be a challenge, and it's not something that can be discussed here, but suffice it to say, there are hoops that need to be jumped through.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
ashtreex
ashtreex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
If you're downloading the .acsm file from Kobo, why not just install ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) and open the file there? You can then find the file in the Digital Editions folder and drag it wherever you need.

iBooks, well, they would have Fairplay DRM on them, so you may easily be able to grab the file itself, but getting rid of the DRM would be a challenge, and it's not something that can be discussed here, but suffice it to say, there are hoops that need to be jumped through.
Well I find Reader slightly less clunky than ADE, but doubtless either would do.

I got one thing wrong - you can't simply drag the book from the Reader desktop to Calibre, but Reader makes a nice folder of books on Documents, and you can drag it into Calibre from there. Where does ADE put the books?
ashtreex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #36
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
On OS X: /Users/<YourUserName/Documents/Digital Editions/
Not sure where it is on Windows, but presumably in the Documents folder there too.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
On OS X: /Users/<YourUserName/Documents/Digital Editions/
Not sure where it is on Windows, but presumably in the Documents folder there too.
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\My Digital Editions on Windows 7 so maybe a general answer would %HOME%\Documents\My Digital Editions
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #38
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Non-drm ePubs you can pull off the device w/ Calibre. It's how I get my Gutenberg books.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
ThomasBurlington
ThomasBurlington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
can't activate Digital Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
When you open the acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions (downloaded from Adobe), the book will be there.
Problem is I can't activate Digital Editions. I get the error E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED http://adeactivate.adobe.com/adept/Activate 2012-09-02T14:14:03-07:00%20(1346620443000)%20is%20before%202012-09-02T14:48:04-07:00%20(1346622484160)
Is there any other way accessing this file? I see the ebook in my Kobo desktop, but want to transfer the book to a different reader.

So really what I'm trying to do is get an ebook bought on Kobo onto my Kindle. I have Calibre and plugins which should do it, but the download from Kobo only gives me an ACSM file, which I can't double-click because Adobe Digital Editions won't activate....

Last edited by ThomasBurlington; 09-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
ThomasBurlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Is the time, date and TimeZone set correctly on your Mac?

See for instance http://forums.adobe.com/thread/507589
Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #41
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
OK, I downloaded the book I bought (on the web page showing books I bought, hit the ... for this option), and have URLLink.acsm in my download library. I opened it with Adobe Digital Editions or with Reader. Then I searched my Mac and found the .epub in my Documents/My Books/Reader, and in Documents/Digital Editions.
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Yet another thread rises from the dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread_Necromancy_04.png
Views:	67
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	164598  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #43
Neltri
Neltri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face in Mac, it is easy to get the file

1- Go to your Kobo "My account" then to "My books" or "Archive"
2- Choose the ebook you want and (if List) choose "Actions" or (if thumbnails) the ... (three points)
3- Choose "download" (that it does not send the file but only a link, URLLink.acsm about a 1kb)
4- In the Mac, open the link with the Adobe Reader that download the file and open it.
5- Go to Documents/Digital Editions (the Adobe Reader directory) and the file (epub) is there.
Have fun
Neltri is offline   Reply With Quote