Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
New Paperwhite 3 - EDGE only, never 3G

Hi

I have just bought a new Kindle Paperwhite with the 3G feature from Amazon UK (I live in the UK and am using the device there now).

Ever since I've got it, it will only connect to the network over EDGE (it shows an "E" next to the signal strength meter).

I have tried it in several different areas, including right in the centre of the city where I live, and I still only get EDGE. I am confident that Vodafone (I think they provide the Kindle's coverage in the UK) would have 3G in those areas.

Has anybody got any ideas on why a device might stick to EDGE?

Thanks
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Amazon Data Centers, perhaps.
http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/co...77.fullarticle
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Well, I've answered my own question!

From reading other forums, it turns out that Vodafone UK has switched most of its 3G coverage away from the 2100MHz band (which the Kindle supports) to other bands that the Kindle doesn't support.

Bit disappointing, but the 2G still works at least, and 3G will work outside of the UK (which is one of the main reasons I got the 3G model).
Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Well, I've answered my own question!

From reading other forums, it turns out that Vodafone UK has switched most of its 3G coverage away from the 2100MHz band (which the Kindle supports) to other bands that the Kindle doesn't support.

Bit disappointing, but the 2G still works at least, and 3G will work outside of the UK (which is one of the main reasons I got the 3G model).
I wonder what the TOS between Vodofone and Amazon are. Presumably there is a contract delineating which frequencies Vodofone agreed to make available and for what period of time, and if they have pulled the plug it is a breach of contract that Amazon (and its customers) are entitled to compensation of some sort.

If Amazon knew this was a possibility then they are on the hook to make it up to customers who expected 3G performance. I wonder if the (much newer and costly) Oasis has the same issue? If not, they should upgrade you!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I wonder if the (much newer and costly) Oasis has the same issue? If not, they should upgrade you!
The Oasis 2 is definitely different as it allows up to LTE (4G). I am not sure if that means that the radio has more 3G frequencies. Unless Vodafone turned off 2100 3G in order to put 4G in there. Would not help with the 3G max PW3 though.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
Daveoc64
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I wonder what the TOS between Vodofone and Amazon are. Presumably there is a contract delineating which frequencies Vodofone agreed to make available and for what period of time, and if they have pulled the plug it is a breach of contract that Amazon (and its customers) are entitled to compensation of some sort.

If Amazon knew this was a possibility then they are on the hook to make it up to customers who expected 3G performance. I wonder if the (much newer and costly) Oasis has the same issue? If not, they should upgrade you!
It is a very interesting point. They're advertising the product as supporting 3G, but that seemingly cannot work in the country it's sold in.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest calling Amazon and asking to speak to a supervisor about this issue. YOu should be getting 3G yet you aren't. That (IMHO) is wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
But is it a real issue ?
surely, the time taken to download a book on any of 2gz 3g, 4g is just a few seconds?
I get the not getting what was advertised issue, but what do you lose if shopping for, downloading books on a slower network. Most books are tiny files.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Daveoc64
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
But is it a real issue ?
surely, the time taken to download a book on any of 2gz 3g, 4g is just a few seconds?
I get the not getting what was advertised issue, but what do you lose if shopping for, downloading books on a slower network. Most books are tiny files.
Well, the store takes quite a while to load for example.

The book covers can take 15 seconds to load on each page of the store. That makes looking at lists of books quite annoying.

I've also found certain parts of the store just wouldn't load at all, because the connection was too slow.

I can certainly live with it, as I just wanted the "download a book anywhere" functionality, rather than 3G speeds.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:15 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - I admit to not knowing a lot about 2g, 3g. ... but i did try a quick google and found that amazon claim to offer close to 100% 3g support for paperwhite in UK. it was specific coverage info for 3g paperwhite, not a general 3g thing. you go via the paperwhite product details web page which has a link that takes you here
https://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer....iew=intl&cov=3

only other thought iso check if there there is some setting you accidentally nudged that tells it to go 2g if the signal is stronger, or some such ?
Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 AM   #11
Daveoc64
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
ok - I admit to not knowing a lot about 2g, 3g. ... but i did try a quick google and found that amazon claim to offer close to 100% 3g support for paperwhite in UK. it was specific coverage info for 3g paperwhite, not a general 3g thing. you go via the paperwhite product details web page which has a link that takes you here
https://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer....iew=intl&cov=3

only other thought iso check if there there is some setting you accidentally nudged that tells it to go 2g if the signal is stronger, or some such ?
I don't think their map is very sophisticated. They're just taking whatever all of the different global carriers tell them.

Vodafone UK has added a note to their coverage map under the 3G section:

"If your phone's over two years old, it may not connect to every bit of our 3G network. Log in to My Vodafone to see if you can upgrade now. You could leapfrog a generation to a 4G-ready phone".

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/n...-map/index.htm

They don't offer an option to just show the coverage for older devices.

Looking at the diagnostics on the Kindle, it is not picking up any 3G (W-CDMA) cells at all. I have borrowed a Kindle Keyboard from a relative, and this too is only able to connect to EDGE, so I'm sure it's just the network not offering 3G on a compatible frequency anymore.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

depending what outcome you want- you have a good case for rejecting the 3G element as not fit for purpose and asking for a partial refund of the difference between the 3G and wifi only paperwhite. Or for a replacement device that will actually do 3G in uk but maybe no such device exists.
if it is general fault though, I am suprised there has not been more coverage/ more reports. its the sort of thing the tech press like to report on.
what gen/ how old is yours? i think there were 3 generations, the last one being ~2016 which ties in with the " 2 year old" discalaimer you found from vodaphone.
My experience is that amazon (uk) will standardly refund 25% of purchase cost, on anything you dispute as being " not as described", and you get to keep the device.Their system proposes a discount for the CS to offer, and it is always 25%. they are not empowered to go any higher