Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PW3 asking to connect to WiFi befor eopening any books

I'm trying to help someone with a PW3 where it's asking to be connected to WiFi before it will open any book including sideloaded books. It's running firmware 5.9.6. Why would it be doing this? Is there a way to stop it from doing this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
What happens when you turn on Airplane Mode? And have you tried turning it completely off and rebooting it?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
After a recent (sideloaded) firmware update ISTR that my Oasis asked me to connect to Amazon to download a new font (I think it was a Chinese font). I let it do so and it’s been happy ever since. I normally keep it in airplane mode to extend battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Dang, I hope this is not true. There's a big difference between "nagging" someone to connect to download a font and the machine refuising to open any books without touching base with the mothership.

I know Amazon does do that on their fire tablets. Some DRM'd apps will not open after too long in airplane mode.

I have a PW3 which has not been on wifi except once, immediately upon receipt to register it and download a couple books. I did sideload the most recent update because of a report here that it was "zippier."

I have not had this issue but will be curious to see if it arises for anyone else. The idea of it really bothers me.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What happens when you turn on Airplane Mode? And have you tried turning it completely off and rebooting it?
It's been rebooted and still asks to connect to WiFi. I really don't want to connect the Kindle to WiFi as I don't know what it wants to do.

Though one thing I will do is update the firmware and see what happens.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-16-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Advert
Old 08-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I'd love to see a photo/screen shot of that message if possible, JSWolf.

The message cannot be dismissed? Or can it be but it reappears when you attempt to open a book? How much navigating around the device can still be done?

Did this happen as soon as she applied the most recent update or a while after?

Love some more info
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I should add that the message I got about connecting to download a new font didn't stop me from opening books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've been using Kindles since 2009, and have never been forced to connect to WiFi etc. or I couldn't open a book. I do remember seeing a nag screen about connecting to Update special offers, but the device worked normally.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I'd love to see a photo/screen shot of that message if possible, JSWolf.

The message cannot be dismissed? Or can it be but it reappears when you attempt to open a book? How much navigating around the device can still be done?

Did this happen as soon as she applied the most recent update or a while after?

Love some more info
I may have sorted the problem. I removed all books from the Kindle. I updated the firmware to 5.9.7 and I put only side loaded books on. I'll eventually put the unread books back on. But for now, it seems OK.