Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
emanueol
Enthusiast
emanueol doesn't litteremanueol doesn't litter

Device: Huawei Mediapad M5 8" and 10", Boox Onyx Max, Amazon Fire 8HD
[IOS] What is the best ipad caliber companion to connect to my windows caliber lib?

Hi all,

Been using caliber in my windows laptop and got caliber companion android in my Android devices working great. I mainly use PDFs and "Moon+ Reader Pro" as client reader.

But.. now I'm thinking buying an iPad (1st time i will have an Apple device and I think I chosen iPad Pro 10.5 as good size for single hand reading experience, as the 12" seems too big/heavy for single hand reading) and I'm wondering what i need to sync my caliber library to iPad and best reader in iPad to open my PDFs:
- seems theres/i need to add some caliber plugin in my laptop so it can manage ios devices right?

- Then i guess i need to install in iPad a caliber companion for IOS ? I wonder if its this the correct one https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sourc...kTy13kVFpySatS

-or is there other apps that connect to my windows caliber ?
-do i need both an iPad app to get books from my windows caliber and a reader app or does exist iPad apps that do both ?
- Finally i need a reader able to open my pdfs in the iPad, any suggestion?
- Also will launch ipad cc first and then 1st time i click read to open a pdf will i be able to select the reader app i want to use? Or will cc ios just used to sync and to read i just launch directly some reader app and somehow will be able to point to the local library of cc ios?

EDIT: As an extra would be great the iPad reader to be able to display 2 PDF pages when using iPad in landscape mode?

Thanks so much, and hope this is the right forum to post thus type of wonderings.
Emanuel Oliveira

ps. Looking forward to read my caliber books in my upcoming iPad

Last edited by emanueol; 03-25-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: changed "cc" for "caliber companion"
emanueol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
There is a calibre companion for the iPad in the Apple app store. That's what I use. It works well for me. Unless you hack your iPad, all apps are downloaded from the Apple app store. Some people call it The Walled Garden.

Marvin will connect to Calibre, but it doesn't do PDF.

I believe that if you have multiple apps that support PDF, you will be presented with a selection, if there is only one app, then if opens up automatically. iBook understands PDF's and is built into the iPad, but many people prefer Goodreader, which you can download from the Apple app store.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
emanueol
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There is a calibre companion for the iPad in the Apple app store. That's what I use. It works well for me. Unless you hack your iPad, all apps are downloaded from the Apple app store. Some people call it The Walled Garden.

Marvin will connect to Calibre, but it doesn't do PDF.

I believe that if you have multiple apps that support PDF, you will be presented with a selection, if there is only one app, then if opens up automatically. iBook understands PDF's and is built into the iPad, but many people prefer Goodreader, which you can download from the Apple app store.
Fantastic!! The simple/direct answer I was looking for! Thanks so much pwalker8
Old 03-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
As for pdf reader:

Free of charge:

Foxit reader (single page, continuous page, two pages, crop mode, night mode, lock zoom, lock drag orientation, lock orientation; txt-to-speach; slide over & split view, annotation+stamp+sign tools etc.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foxi...507040546?mt=8

With a charge:

GoodReader

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-26-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
As for pdf reader:

Free of charge: Foxit reader (single page, continuous page, two pages, crop mode, night mode, lock zoom, lock drag orientation, lock orientation; txt-to-speach; slide over & split view, annotation tools etc.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foxi...507040546?mt=8

With a charge:

GoodReader

Perfect!! Thanks so much Marinolino
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
MapleRead SE does it all. It supports both EPUB and PDF, and connects directly to Calibre. You don't even need a separate app like "Calibre Companion".

https://www.maplepop.com
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apple just released a new iPad today, which supports Apple Pencil (and a cheaper Logitech stylus apparently), starting at 329USD. If that’s the only feature you are looking for in iPad Pro, maybe you can save some money.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
MapleRead SE does it all. It supports both EPUB and PDF, and connects directly to Calibre. You don't even need a separate app like "Calibre Companion".

https://www.maplepop.com
Great! Will try this as well. I guess if i have an interesting reader (at least able to read PDFs) able to directly connect to my Caliber windows laptop than I may skip Caliber Companion in iPad. Thanks for the suggestion of maplepopo.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Apple just released a new iPad today, which supports Apple Pencil (and a cheaper Logitech stylus apparently), starting at 329USD. If that’s the only feature you are looking for in iPad Pro, maybe you can save some money.

..indeed tomsem, just Apple compare page got the new iPad 9.7" there, just compared with the one I was thinking iPad Pro 10.5" and for my use case of using iPad just for reading+browsing internet+youtube I think I will go for the new one:

differences

these ones I dont really care too much:
Fully laminated display
Antireflective coating
Wide color display (P3)
graphics card 2x
better camera
better sound(speaker)

hmm these ones would be cool but meh
ProMotion technology

this is the only feature one will miss with the new iPad 9.7" as screen colors/brightness etc.. auto adapt on ambient light
True Tone display

so...
iPad Pro 10.5" 64GB only wifi(no sim) costs $649
new iPad 9.7" announced today 32GB also only wifi(no sim) costs $329

hmm.. it all boils down to paying $320 ($649-$329) practically the double just to have the 1 feature @True Tone display@ that an eReader like would benefit... decisions, decisions.. I'm rich enough (kidding), probably more nerd then rich lol.. but.. its really tempting the new 9.7" to be honest.

What you all think ?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Alternately, if one does not need Pencil support, last year's basic iPad can be had for as low as $235 new.

https://9to5toys.com/2018/03/27/apple-ipad-ebay-offer/

We have the 2017 iPad 9.7 at home and I personally use both a 2016 Pro 9.7 and 2017 Pro 12.9. I leave TrueTone on the Pros but not having it isn't a super big deal. While it's not quite the same thing, enabling Night Shift works as an alternative for me when I use non-Pro iPads.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-27-2018 at 11:15 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:39 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Having had both 9.7" and 10.5" iPads, I would strongly recommend the 10.5" device for reading PDFs. The size difference may not sound significant, but when it comes to PDFs, it makes a big difference in readability.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-28-2018 at 08:36 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #12
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having had both 9.7" and 10.5" iPads, I would strongly recommend the 10.5" device for reading PDFs. The size difference may not sound significant, but when it comes to PDFs, it makes a big difference in readability.
Oh thats important for me.. damm I was almost decided for the new iPad 9.7 as 50% of the iPad Pad Pro 10.5".. but now you comment makes sense .. I will go city center this weekend and try both for field final test.

Thanks so much everybody, you all had helpful suggestions, and im sure we will keep in touch as David Bowie said in a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8NZa9wYZ_U
..in the Apple World
Old 03-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do my reading on the big iPad Pro as well. Most of my PDF reading is magazines, and the whole point for me is be able to read without reading glasses. I use goodreader for PDF's (one of the specialty magazines that I read, Ancient Warfare, sells it's magazines as non DRMe PDFs.), and use Zinio for a couple of the more generally available magazines that I read (backpacker, archeology and outdoor photography). I use Marvin for ebook reading.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I do my reading on the big iPad Pro as well. Most of my PDF reading is magazines, and the whole point for me is be able to read without reading glasses. I use goodreader for PDF's (one of the specialty magazines that I read, Ancient Warfare, sells it's magazines as non DRMe PDFs.), and use Zinio for a couple of the more generally available magazines that I read (backpacker, archeology and outdoor photography). I use Marvin for ebook reading.
Thanks, bookmarked Zinio as well for checking.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
emanueol
Enthusiast

I imagine that going for 10.5" I wonder it could be possible to view 2 pages pdf side by side while holding ipad in landscape mode ?
Would this be a feature all (PDF) readers support ?

Thanks.

Tags
caliber, caliber companion, ios, ipad pro