Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Is it possible to sync highlights/notes for personal documents?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was possible with Kindles if the document was emailed to the device, but not otherwise.

Anyway, as I picked up a refurb Kindle Voyage recently, I was experimenting to see if I could send an ebook to my new Kindle and have highlights or notes sync for backup.

If it's possible, I've not been able to figure out how!

The book is on the Voyage A-OK, and I made a couple test highlights/notes and hit sync (several times), but I don't find them on the Amazon page for same after signing in.

It's OK if it's not possible, just would have made the device much more useful to me.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They do sync if you email or use Send To KIndle app (recommend the latter as it is more powerful), but you will not find them on the Amazon web page: that is just for Amazon purchases. Note the new home for those notes is read.amazon.com/notebook, kindle.amazon.com is going away..

You can export the notes and highlights from personal documents using a Fire, Kindle for Android, or Kindle for iOS. This generates email attachment on iOS and on the other platforms you can also share to Dropbox, OneNote, Evernote etc.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-11-2017 at 11:09 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
They do sync if you email or use Send To KIndle app (recommend the latter as it is more powerful), but you will not find them on the Amazon web page: that is just for Amazon purchases. Note the new home for those notes is read.amazon.com/notebook, kindle.amazon.com is going away..

You can export the notes and highlights from personal documents using a Fire, Kindle for Android, or Kindle for iOS. This generates email attachment on iOS and on the other platforms you can also share to Dropbox, OneNote, Evernote etc.
Yes, I know about the new home. I guess I'll check on the sync thing with an app.

I will also check out the Send to Kindle app, I did not know there was such a thing, thanks! And thanks for clarifying about how the personal doc sync works!

What I'd like is simply to be sure the highlights/notes would be accessible elsewhere if the Voyage suddenly needed a reset.

I don't use highlights or notes often, only when I'm doing a final proofread of a book I've digitized. But it always worries me a bit on the Kobo that there's no backup. I'm doing final proofread on a 630 page book right now, longest I've digitized to date. So without backup, I feel like I have to go make corrections in my ebook frequently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
graycyn
Wizard

Cool and thanks again! I just checked the Kindle app on this device and there was the book AND the test notes!

This is GREAT! I don't use Kindle much, because of limited font size and small screen, but one place where I *don't* mind a larger than necessary font is when it comes to proofreading, that next to last font size, while a bit large for regular reading (the next size down is too small for my eyes), is a *good* size when it comes to looking for punctuation errors!

And having only a bit of text on screen is not an issue for proofreading! So my Voyage will be a happy proofreading device with regular use as opposed to occasional use!

Old 06-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Cool and thanks again! I just checked the Kindle app on this device and there was the book AND the test notes!

This is GREAT! I don't use Kindle much, because of limited font size and small screen, but one place where I *don't* mind a larger than necessary font is when it comes to proofreading, that next to last font size, while a bit large for regular reading (the next size down is too small for my eyes), is a *good* size when it comes to looking for punctuation errors!

And having only a bit of text on screen is not an issue for proofreading! So my Voyage will be a happy proofreading device with regular use as opposed to occasional use!

Received by my Linux system, using a whole lot of things.

Sounds like you don't know about the:
FONT_RAMP
(undocumented) Amazon Kindle feature.
Search the Developer's sub-forum here for those details.

*** Sent from my PC just because I wanted to do that. ****
(Why is it that people don't disable the advertisements sent with their text application? Certainly by now there is no longer any bragging rights left in using any certain application.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Received by my Linux system, using a whole lot of things.

Sounds like you don't know about the:
FONT_RAMP
(undocumented) Amazon Kindle feature.
Search the Developer's sub-forum here for those details.

*** Sent from my PC just because I wanted to do that. ****
(Why is it that people don't disable the advertisements sent with their text application? Certainly by now there is no longer any bragging rights left in using any certain application.)
No, I didn't know about that! Just found the thread and will investigate further. I don't think it would make me switch to the Voyage as a primary reader, screen size is just too darn small for my taste, but it might make reading the occasional Kindle book more pleasant, so THANKS!