Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thumbs up John G. Hemry bundle at Baen

Baen are currently offering a "bundle" of 7 John G. Hemry books for $30. I must admit that I'd never heard of the fellow, so I bought them very much "sight unseen".

The bundle consists of the 4-book "JAG in Space" books (legal thrillers set in the US Space Navy of 2100 AD), and the 3-book "Stark's War" series (military SF).

I've so far read two of the "JAG" books and I'm extremely impressed; they really are excellent books (provided that one likes legal thrillers, of course!).

From what I've read so far, highly recommended!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Baen are currently offering a "bundle" of 7 John G. Hemry books for $30. I must admit that I'd never heard of the fellow, so I bought them very much "sight unseen".

The bundle consists of the 3-book "JAG in Space" books (legal thrillers set in the US Space Navy of 2100 AD), and the 4-book "Stark's War" series (military SF).

I've so far read two of the "JAG" books and I'm extremely impressed; they really are excellent books (provided that one likes legal thrillers, of course!).

From what I've read so far, highly recommended!
I'm curious how one would do a legal thriller in a setting where the actualy laws have not been formulated, yet. Most legal thrillers I've read have a lot to do with points of law that turn the tide one way or another. I'll have to go pick those up and see what he did with the genre mixing.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They basically assume the same court martial process that exists in the current US Navy. Not wanting to give too much away in the way of spoilers, the first involves the court martial of a ship's captain for doing something (I won't say what) and whether or not that act was reasonable in the circumstances; the 2nd (which I'm about half way through) is about whether or not there was a "cover up" following a serious accident on board the ship. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37018 for a discussion on this bundle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Jon - I didn't spot that at the time.
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If you like Hemry, he also writes "The Lost Fleet: " series most of which is available in eBook format too.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
If you like Hemry, he also writes "The Lost Fleet: " series most of which is available in eBook format too.
Just don't look for Hemry as the author. He writes them under Jack Campbell.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I love the Lost Fleet series! I am sure I will like the Hemry books, then.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote