Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #22216
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Somewhere between falling asleep around midnight and waking up at 2.30 am I managed to twist myself into such a position that I hurt my hip (pulled a muscle?). I've done that before but not as bad that I couldn't fall asleep anymore. It's now almost 4.30 am and I'm waiting for the painkillers to kick in. I can't seem to find a position that isn't painful. I'm glad I don't have to work later today.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #22217
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
ProfCrash, pooh, KK, BenG, Rumpelteazer, and everyone else I may have missed - Get better soon , and I'm also sending feel better vibes your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I came back from North Carolina with some sort of bug. It must be going around down there. (By the way, in a couple of weeks I could change my name to BenG_nc.)
Are you moving for work?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #22218
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Transferring within the same company.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #22219
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Thanks. Feeling better. Still a bit of a cough but it is getting better.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #22220
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Somewhere between falling asleep around midnight and waking up at 2.30 am I managed to twist myself into such a position that I hurt my hip (pulled a muscle?). I've done that before but not as bad that I couldn't fall asleep anymore. It's now almost 4.30 am and I'm waiting for the painkillers to kick in. I can't seem to find a position that isn't painful. I'm glad I don't have to work later today.
I know how awful it is pulling a muscle. I've pulled my back muscle between my shoulder blades so many times it's ridiculous. The last time I did it I was washing my hair under the tap in the bathtub . I had to go to physiotherapy after that. Hope you feel better soon.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #22221
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Transferring within the same company.
I hope it is a transfer that you are looking forward to doing.

Decafe Sumatra in my cup and almost the last of it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #22222
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I know how awful it is pulling a muscle. I've pulled my back muscle between my shoulder blades so many times it's ridiculous. The last time I did it I was washing my hair under the tap in the bathtub . I had to go to physiotherapy after that. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks. It seems it wasn't a pulled muscle, luckily. I think it was a cramp while I was asleep. It took two painkillers for the sharp throbbing pain to subside. Now my upper left leg and lower back are sore and stiff. Walking stairs isn't fun so the next couple of days won't be fun (3 step stairs half way into our store).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #22223
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I so could have gone to work. I work from 6-2 and the roads were fine on myside street. I know the mainroads were treated and plowed. So I have to work extra hours on Thursday and Friday to try an save personal time. I get 40 hours a year to use for sick days, appointments, and weather. Wasting it on a day I could have worked sucks. I love spending time home with my family but am annoyed that the government shut down for a storm that has left no snow in the capitol and maybe 6 inches in the burbs.

I will enjoy my time with Lucas, the Hubby, and dogs but I would have preferred to save the time off or a true emergency.

(Sigh)
Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #22224
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I get 40 hours a year to use for sick days, appointments, and weather. Wasting it on a day I could have worked sucks. I love spending time home with my family but am annoyed that the government shut down for a storm that has left no snow in the capitol and maybe 6 inches in the burbs.
Sorry - your employer decides to shut the business for the day and YOU have to take that time as holiday? That sucks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #22225
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Yup. That is the rule.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #22226
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Yes, happens here with Local Government too. My wife had to take holiday when the snow stopped her getting in to work.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #22227
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Also happens when corporate bean counters decide that too much money is going out, and salaries are easy to cut...so take a day off without pay (preferably), but if the employee absolutely insists on a full check, vacation pay can be used.

Nice.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #22228
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm currently reading Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea: The Definitive, Unabridged Edition Based on the Original French Texts, translated and annotated by Walter James Miller and Frederick Paul Walter (published by the Naval INstitute Press, Annapolis, Maryland and (c) 1993 by the United States Naval Institute. This is a great edition except for one thing: There is no ebook edition!!!

So I bought the paperback version and it arrived in the mail on March 7. This is the second time this year that a book I wanted to read wasn't available in an electronic format and I've been forced to revert back to reading the old-fashioned way my grandparents did it, and it sucks. I don't understand how anyone can prefer paper books to electronic ones. There are so many disadvantages to paper books. The most obvious to those of us with aging eyes is that there's no way to change the size or appearance of the font, but that's only the first item on the list. Any passages quoted as well as the notes that are made on those passages must be painstakingly transcribed by hand before they can be shared. Any unfamiliar word must be looked up in a separate dictionary, and any foreign phrase requires the consultation (for those of us who speak English exclusively) of a foreign-language to English dictionary if we're to understand what's being said. And they're so damned heavy! And the pages stick together. And the book is difficult to keep fully open without causing damage to the spine. So what's left for those who still want to claim "real" (paper) books have an advantage over electronic books? The smell? For the life of me, I can't discern a nickel's worth of difference between the smell of this heavy, cumbersome dinosaur I'm reading and the wonderful aroma of my delightful Paperwhite Kindle, housed as it is in a beautiful Oberon sleeve that puts 99.9% of all book covers ever created since the Middle Ages to shame.

Life is tough, but I'll survive. It all gives me a greater appreciation of the hardships that our ancestors had to go through to read books before the advent of electronic readers.

Viva la ebook!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #22229
dreams
It's about the umbrella

I was just ranting about the same thing. I am reading a paper book and the small text and no light is driving me crazy. I checked the limited book catalog at my library and they don't have it in ebook. I refuse to buy it when I already have the paper back version.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #22230
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm currently reading Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea: The Definitive, Unabridged Edition Based on the Original French Texts, translated and annotated by Walter James Miller and Frederick Paul Walter (published by the Naval INstitute Press, Annapolis, Maryland and (c) 1993 by the United States Naval Institute. This is a great edition except for one thing: There is no ebook edition!!!

So I bought the paperback version and it arrived in the mail on March 7. This is the second time this year that a book I wanted to read wasn't available in an electronic format and I've been forced to revert back to reading the old-fashioned way my grandparents did it, and it sucks. I don't understand how anyone can prefer paper books to electronic ones. There are so many disadvantages to paper books. The most obvious to those of us with aging eyes is that there's no way to change the size or appearance of the font, but that's only the first item on the list. Any passages quoted as well as the notes that are made on those passages must be painstakingly transcribed by hand before they can be shared. Any unfamiliar word must be looked up in a separate dictionary, and any foreign phrase requires the consultation (for those of us who speak English exclusively) of a foreign-language to English dictionary if we're to understand what's being said. And they're so damned heavy! And the pages stick together. And the book is difficult to keep fully open without causing damage to the spine. So what's left for those who still want to claim "real" (paper) books have an advantage over electronic books? The smell? For the life of me, I can't discern a nickel's worth of difference between the smell of this heavy, cumbersome dinosaur I'm reading and the wonderful aroma of my delightful Paperwhite Kindle, housed as it is in a beautiful Oberon sleeve that puts 99.9% of all book covers ever created since the Middle Ages to shame.

Life is tough, but I'll survive. It all gives me a greater appreciation of the hardships that our ancestors had to go through to read books before the advent of electronic readers.

Viva la ebook!

Huzzah! Huzzah!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness