Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle KDP) The Quicksilver Horse by Anne Digby [YA Racing Friendship Novel]

Haven't done one of these for a while. I always did think that the KDP Select exclusive-or-else thing and the subsequent flooding of the market would eventually lead to some form of doomy-doom-doom which significantly disimproves things for pretty much everyone (but especially the customer/end-reader) and just generally bite people on the unmentionable body part of your choice. I feel oddly vindicated today. Time for a slice of Schadenfreude Pie™, Y/N?

Anyway, today's backlist treat is a rare YA that's older than I am (actually there are lots of YAs that are older than I am, we just don't get most of them free unless the author is very dead and public domain).

The Quicksilver Horse by Anne Digby, who is presumably still alive, is some kind of YA friendship amidst competition probably coming-of-age novel originally printed by Granada in 1979, and subsequently reprinted by St. Martin's Press and HarperCollins in the early 80s.

We've previously received another YA horsemanship tale from Digby free, and I've no idea whether this is in a series or not and don't care enough to look and find out.

Description (after looking through a slew of overdescriptive blurbs, I find this refreshingly succinct, though I suppose it is technically underinformative for those who want more details before 1-clicking)
Anne Digby's enthralling story of horsemanship and a bittersweet 1970s friendship is set against a circus and racing stables background.

Other books by Anne Digby also reissued as ebooks include A HORSE CALLED SEPTEMBER and the TREBIZON series..

Free with DRM for who knows how long @ Amazon main, UK, DE, ES, FR, IT, and now also CA.

More stuff from the slushpile not previously mentioned in the monthly genre threads:

Liu Cixin (ISFDB entry), a previously-included Chinese sf writer who's won international awards returns with a few more translated published shorts, one of them new: linkage to the lot

David Bischoff (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia) repeats his 1985 Ace-published space opera which is old enough I don't have it in the newer KDP-only account and offers a self-pub gaming fantasy: linkage for the lot

Stephen Shea's bio blurb says he's the pseudonym of an established author experimenting with different stuff, so I suspect he may actually be Canadian Governor General Award winner Arthur Slade (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia), since his titles are carried by the same imprint that Slade and only Slade otherwise uses, and seems to write possibly YA horror-ish thrillers like Slade tends to do. The offered horror-ish thriller is: Damages

KDP small press new and repeats from: Camel Press (mostly mystery/thriller & romance, some sfnal), Coffeetown Press (historical & literary + non-fic), Imajin (mystery/thriller & sfnal), Xcite (erotic romance & erotica), Books We Love (mystery & romance, including m/m), Attic Clown Press (horror, including an anthology with some big-name ISFDBed award-winners). Backlist & established author repeats from Dave Zeltserman (mystery), fellow MR member author Scott Nicholson (horror).

Some non-KDP stuff available to all:

Fellow MR member author and Australian sf writer Patty Jansen (ISFDB entry) offers several new items free to all via Smashwords, alongside an older small-press magazined short: linkage to her author page

Nebula-nominated former Marion Zimmer Bradley protégée and current sf specialty small press Norilana Books owner Vera Nazarian (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia) offers a fantasy short which ties into her previously-freebied novel Dreams of the Compass Rose, free to all via Smashwords: linkage to her author page (it looks like she's done a pricedrop on some of her other stuff as well, though I'd wait for Read an E-Book Week sale coupons, just in case)

Baen-published Doranna Durgin (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia) is currently offering three of her Baen-published fantasy novels free to all via Smashwords: linkage to her author page (she has traditionally done RAEBW sale coupons with generous discounts, and I bought her multi-author short story anthology during last year's event)

The Book View Café consortium of previously-published sf/fantasy/mystery/romance genre writers is offering several short stories in multiple downloadable formats, including tales by Nebula Award-winner Linda Nagata (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia): linkage to their rotating freebie short fiction bookshelf. Nagata and some of the other featured freebie authors are also holding discount sales on selected backlist works, available on the BVC's sale page, if you're interested.

Happy reading, if you happen to like YA horsemanship tales or sf. You may even be able to luck out on one which is both, somewhere along the line.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-01-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Direct publisher name search still b0rked at Amazon, but publisher name as keyword still seems to work.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Anyway, today's backlist treat is a rare YA that's older than I am (actually there are lots of YAs that are older than I am, we just don't get most of them free unless the author is very dead and public domain).

The Quicksilver Horse by Anne Digby, who is presumably still alive, is some kind of YA friendship amidst competition probably coming-of-age novel originally printed by Granada in 1979, and subsequently reprinted by St. Martin's Press and HarperCollins in the early 80s.
The Quicksilver Horse
http://www.amazon.com/THE-QUICKSILVE...dp/B00AWCMEB4/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Oops, I knew I forgot something. Well, it's been a while since I've done this. Thanks for the heads-up. Fixing now.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote