Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
odusto
odusto began at the beginning.

Device: none
Retain page numbers in headers

I need to convert paper books to ePubs for low vision students who need page numbers for reference to stay with teacher referencing page numbers.

Right now I scan and OCR into Word then format with headings, page numbers in the headers and page breaks to match book.

I can't find a way that retains the page numbering I have in the header. I've downloaded many Daisy files from Bookshare.org and they all have page breaks/breaks within the text.

This is all new to me so any process suggestions are appreciated also. I've attached a file I'm working on.
Thank you for any advice you can give.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Romeo and Juliet and Related Readings.doc (200.0 KB, 2727 views)
odusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You cannot have the page number in the header, since page numbers have no meaning in an ePUB. After all, the page changes when the font-size changes or when the screen size is different. Since ePUB's origins are also found in the Daisy format, you might expect that this is possible. In fact, there is some code (oeb-header IIRC), but that is not supported by any reader I know.
It is possible to create references to the original page number, but as far as I know they are not visible. They are just references. You can point to them in a kind of index way.
There is something like fixed-layout, but that is heavily dependent on the reading device. You have to built it for that specific device.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by odusto View Post
I can't find a way that retains the page numbering I have in the header.
Perhaps you could include your page numbers within the body sections of the Word document, and style them with Heading 4. This should allow them to be identified on conversion for inclusion in the ePub's TOC.

They won't act like page numbers when used with a reader's "go to page number" function, (for the reasons already detailed by Toxaris), but it may give you a workable result.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
And with a TOC build on <h4> you can even have a way to go to page quickly
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
odusto
odusto began at the beginning.

Device: none
I figured since I heard the new versions of ePub and Daisy were becoming one of the same that this would be possible. Guess this is not the case re: page numbering.

I thought about putting in the body but not the <h4>. I will try that and see how it works for students. Thanks for the info and suggestions!
odusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are using ADE, you can use a page map to make the pages follow the same as the paper edition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are using ADE, you can use a page map to make the pages follow the same as the paper edition.
Or rather if the students are using ADE...

The best solution, in my opinion, is not using page numbers as a reference (which, anyway, also change between printed editions).Instead, you could use chapter/paragraph/stanza/verse numbers. Of course, the drawback is the numbers are not directly visible (I'm thinking of paragraph numbers now), but you could add links (and a link table somewhere), and it's easy to count paragraphs anyway.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daisy, epub creation, headers, page numbers