Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #676
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What you should be asking is what it looks like in the conditions in which you're actually going to use it. It doesn't really matter what it looks like in the dark at maximum brightness unless you're going to be using it in those conditions. You say, I think, that it looks good, with visible pinholes, while you're reading? That's what actually matters, isn't it?

Don't you think that you're perhaps actively looking for problems that aren't really problems at all? If it looks good to you in the conditions in which you're going to use it, that - to my mind at least - is all that's important.
I agree. The chances of ever using it at 24 are crazy unless you are Simaru. I would only worry if you see things that keep you from enjoying your reading. My PW has two pinholes but unless I go looking for them diligently I don't see them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #677
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Heh. Today the sun was shining in through the window. It was bright enough to make sure that even setting the Kindle at 24 didn't make a difference to the screen. That was a first.

I like mixing the Kindle's light with the ambient light in such a way that the screen *just* looks white, but it does not yet look illuminated. I really love how the Kindle looks then.

When turning the light off, then it'll look how the Touch would have looked in those conditions. I can only ask myself: "How could I ever have read on a Kindle Touch? This looks horrible..."

For me, the Kindle very seldomly rises above level 15, and seldomly drops below 10, and it looks good at those settings. I couldn't care less what it looks like over 20 or below 7 or 8 or so....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #678
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Thank you indeed for the offer. I think anything else can be delivered BUT the Kindle which seems Amazon decision. I bought stuff from Amazon.de and uk with no problem. I CAN order it but from Amazon.com and, in case of returns would be fussy but less fussy than going through the hoops of delivery point, credit card etc. But I appreciate your offer! I just read babyd posts and frankly it put me off (again) but I know gadgetitis will strike back soon enough.
You DON'T want to have to return anything to the States. Not from the Netherlands, at least. Some time ago I ordered a product, which cost €69, and shipped as a package, for the grand total of €4,50, from the States to the Netherlands.

Later, while reading a review, I found a similar product that I'd probably like more, from Germany, and ordered that as well. This product came in first. After testing it, I decided that I wouldn't even unpack the product from the States.

Returning the unopened box cost me €27,50...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #679
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Got PW number three today a 604 batch. I'm keeping this one. It is not perfect, it has a bright pixel near the lower middle but I can't see it unless the light is very high and I'm looking for it, it falls in the white area so I can live with that. Compared to my 603 which was my original one it has a cleaner screen and the contrast is better, the fonts look sharper and a tad thicker and that's the most important to me, Palantino looks great on it whereas on the 603 it was a bit faded and thin looking.
The screen is also perfectly aligned so I'm happy with that. The lights are little brighter at the bottom on this new one, but again, as long as I don't put the light too bright it's not an issue really. I think it does have the bruising but it's certainly not as obvious as the large pink blob my 603 had and it looks cleaner, whiter and less patchy.
I tried reading on the 603 and found the large pink blob really annoyed me, I felt like I almost wanted to read around it and it distracted me, and the misaligned screen did bug me too, even though i only saw it on covers. The pixel on the 604, while bright, is not that obvious when I'm reading and the screen just feels more natural and less of a blobfest.
So this 604 is pretty okay, not perfect but I don't think the technology is either yet. I'm happy to jump off the PW replacement merry go round now, and that has to be a good thing. I cannot fault amazon and how they treated me either, okay so they initially sent a refurb for an itemi had nly two hours but when I complained they immediately sent a new one out and I'm happy with that. So my two others, the 603 and 503 refurb will be winging their way back to amazon tomorrow.

Last edited by babyd; 03-06-2013 at 06:30 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #680
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Glad you have a replacement you're happy with, babyd Cleaner screen, darker fonts -- that definitely sounds like a keeper!
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #681
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Glad you got one you're happy with, babyd.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #682
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Glad you got one that you like, babyd! Too bad about the pixel.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #683
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Glad you got one that you like, babyd! Too bad about the pixel.
Does any one have PW that has no pixel issues? Even mine has two pinholes. I guess that's what you call them. Shiny green specks that can be seen at certain times.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #684
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Does any one have PW that has no pixel issues? Even mine has two pinholes. I guess that's what you call them. Shiny green specks that can be seen at certain times.
My 501 has 3-4 pinholes that I can see but so far, I see none on my 603. It has horrible bruising though. I'd take pinholes over bruising any day
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #685
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I had a couple earlier ones that didn't have any. Mine don't show as green though, they're white. I never see them on my current PW when reading as they are in the white area, but once in awhile I'll see them if they fall over a black book cover on my homepage.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #686
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
I have not noticed any on my 604
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #687
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
My 502 doesn't have any. If some of you had a look at it, maybe you'd notice color hues or something, but to me it looks pretty much perfect. Mind you, I couldn't easily get another device because I got it through relatives living in another country, so I wouldn't even care if it was not totally perfect. But, considering the light conditions that I usually read in, it is pretty much close to perfect so I think I'm lucky.
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #688
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
My 502 doesn't have any, or I haven't found any.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #689
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Batch numbers? What/where are they?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #690
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
My 502 doesn't have any, or I haven't found any.
I didn't think my had any either till I was reading one day and saw a glowing green dot. It's really tiny though and it goes away if I move my neck so it's doesn't bother me but my point is those looking for a perfect PW I don't think they are out there. Mine has no color hues or splotches or any other flaw that I have found but it's not perfect with two pinholes.