Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
IrinaPu
IrinaPu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader for Russian and English

Hello!
I've never had ereader. I am looking for decent ereader under $200 available in USA for 10 years old child (and for me sometimes too). I am tired to ship children books from Russia or print from internet, and looking to be able to read from sources like lib.ru aldebaran etc where books usually in pdf or doc formats. However other widely available russian formats would be useful.

So here is what I am looking for:
1. Screen at least 6" ( I am not sure E-ink or LCD)
2. Durable (not brocken in 1 week by child)
3. Able to handle English and Russian books available through open and paid sources
4. Relatively easy to handle by child (go to last page you read, able to handle multiple books, scroll easily etc)
5. Russian and English dictionary capability
6. Wi Fi is not necessary
7. No issues with battery life
8. Under $200

I looked at reviews and prices around and can't find decent option currently available on the market.
Sony 505 is available only refurbished, new versions of Sony ereaders have bad reviews (batteries, horrible Sony support etc). Kindle and Nooks are not good with Russian pdfs, and very strict. PocketBook 301 or 302 are not available anymore. Other readers are either 5" or over price range.

So far, the only decent option I could find is PocketBook IQ 701.
Is it good for Russian books (I mean common formats)? I have read it had some issues with zip files. Do I need to spend a lot of time to install fancy firmware and apps on it?
Since it has LCD screen I guess it is not the best option for child, and would have glare outside. However, it definetely has good sides, since it is almost tablet and has Android OS. Does anybody have experience with IQ with Russian books and sites? Also does IQ has car charger?

Any other ereader suggestions?

Thanks.
IrinaPu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi Irina, welcome to MobileRead.

I would suggest you a Pocketbook 602 or a Boox x60 or an Ectaco Jetbook Mini. They are amongst the readers who read the widest range of different formats including pdf, doc and fb2 files. fb2 is a file format that is very common in Russia.

Pocketbook delivers their readers with English and Russian dictionaries, for the Boox you will find free stardict dictionaries on the web.

Reading pdf files on a 6" reader might be difficult if the pdf files are edited for A4 pages. Pocketbook and Boox handle pdfs quite well but it's not perfect.

Why did I suggest the Jetbook? It doesn't cost a fortune so the loss won't be too gross if anything goes wrong. Children are children! But the screen of all readers consists of glass and if not treated with normal care they might break.

Maybe you want to take a look at this site:

http://www.dulinsbooks.com/

It's owner dulin's books (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=483139) is a member here too and very helpful.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
IrinaPu
IrinaPu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for ideas

Billi,
thanks for great ideas. I am just over the fence here.
PocketBook 602 is a bit over $200, and I am afraid can be easily brocken by my child. Ectaco mini looks very attractive, but has only 5" screen and even according to your review is not very suitable with that size for pdf files.
Boox x60 is close to $300...
So is there a problem with Pocketbook IQ ? Can IQ read fb2 files?
The reason why I looked at IQ, it looks it has more durable casing, bigger screen and costs around $150.
Am I wrong? Should a look for some other options?

Thanks again
Irina
IrinaPu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
For under $200 you should seriously consider a Pocket 360 Plus. It is "only" a 5" display but you really wont miss that inch. Many of the owners of the 360 have taken to calling the device "Mighty Mouse" for its outstanding abilities.

My 6 year old has been using our 360s for over a year now for short reading and a bit of checkers and chess. Its very durable.

take a look in the PocketBook forums for some user/owner insight. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereaders russian