Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Question When are they necessary ??

My K3 has 3.0.2 which was the factory firmware installed. I note that there is a 3.0.3 available. So, two questions:

1) Does Amazon automatically notify of essential updates, or do they automatically update when you sync?

2) Is there any need to chase the update?

In my computer work, I seldom update any working firmware or software unless there are benefits, additions, or fixes to bugs that bug me. What is gained by risking an update to an OS that is working just fine?
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
1) Does Amazon automatically notify of essential updates, or do they automatically update when you sync?
Once a firmware goes into full release status then Amazon will start pushing it out to all Kindles in batches. It will download the firmware automatically via 3G or WiFi and then apply it by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
2) Is there any need to chase the update?
You answered this already. "additions, or fixes to bugs"

3.0.3 last time I checked was still a preview aka beta release and therefore not pushed out to Kindles for auto update.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! I'm from the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
i always get all updates. If they end up effecting anything in a negative way (which has happed to me with graphics cards driver updates) then i just roll it back.
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you Mldavis2, for asking and Tiersten, for answering. I'm glad to know I can let my Kindle manage itself. I hate having to chase down updates.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bayjunkie View Post
i always get all updates. If they end up effecting anything in a negative way (which has happed to me with graphics cards driver updates) then i just roll it back.
You can't roll back a Kindle update so if you're concerned...wait.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Kindle OS is not a PC OS. Normally there is no other programs and tools installed (excluding hacks/jailbreaks) so Amazon could easily guarantee no problems with updates. On PC there are a thousands of programs and tools with all their incompatibility issues.

My Kindle 2 Intl 3G was not updated automatically from 2.5.2 to 2.5.4 (I am talking about 10 oct 2010) so I had to update it manually from the Kindle's support page in the Amazon site. And 2.5.4 was not beta but was not pushed automatically to my Kindle.

As for a rollback - yes, only hacks/jailbreaks do have a rollback (uninstall) provided. Amazon does not like the rollbacks (but I think if your Kindle is still under warranty they will send you a replacement one ASAP).

Last edited by enkov; 01-01-2011 at 01:35 PM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Once a firmware goes into full release status then Amazon will start pushing it out to all Kindles in batches. It will download the firmware automatically via 3G or WiFi and then apply it by itself.
I'm not entirely sure that's true. I was automatically sent the 3.0.1 update, but not 3.0.2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Any idea when 3.0.2 came out? My Kindle 3 was a Christmas gift, which Hubby said he purchased around the 13th of Dec. So, I have no idea if it already had 3.0.2, or if it has been updated sometime in the last 2.5 weeks.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-01-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fixed a grammatical typo.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Before then. It was almost certainly pre-installed.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not entirely sure that's true. I was automatically sent the 3.0.1 update, but not 3.0.2.
I'm not sure that 3.0.2 actually went into full release status that was rolled out for auto update. It went from 3.0.2 preview to 3.0.3 preview with no stable version available to download at all. I just checked and the only version available on the website is 3.0.3 preview.

The support site used to list 3.0.1 as stable and 3.0.2 as preview but those links got taken out when they put 3.0.3 up.

Last edited by Tiersten; 01-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
Amazon does not like the rollbacks (but I think if your Kindle is still under warranty they will send you a replacement one ASAP).
The new firmware versions can't be rolled back because the K3 firmware is made up of a bunch of patches which are one way only. They've never released a complete firmware image for the K3.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I'm not sure that 3.0.2 actually went into full release status that was rolled out for auto update. It went from 3.0.2 preview to 3.0.3 preview with no stable version available to download at all. I just checked and the only version available on the website is 3.0.3 preview.

The support site used to list 3.0.1 as stable and 3.0.2 as preview but those links got taken out when they put 3.0.3 up.
Thanks - that would explain it .
Old 01-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Being a long time computer and network tech, I ALWAYS install the latest update, unless it is known to cause problems. It is NOT a matter of "it works now so don't update it", it is a matter of "there is an update BECAUSE there are known problems that are fixed" that you may not be experiencing YET. When it comes to computer software and hardware, it is better to update it now before you have problems, rather than wait until it breaks and spend more time fixing it, THEN updating it, or it breaking to the point where you have to send it back and wait for a replacement that could have been fixed by using the latest update. This goes for firmware, software, and related hardware. I always have the latest BIOS for my motherboards, firmware for routers, modems and various devices, and software updates regardless of OS.

As this relates to the Kindle at this time, they do state the 3.0.3 is an "early preview" release which essentially means it is working just fine, but people should report problems or errors they run into when using this release.
I personally updated to 3.0.3 the first day I had it and never had a problem with it. If you choose, then stay with 3.0.2 and update when they state it is a final release.

Last edited by screwballl; 01-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

Rarely do I over-install a beta ("early preview") on top of a working program. If the two can both exist on the same device, fine, I'll do their beta-testing for them. Otherwise, I stick with proven, official releases that are being pre-installed in new Kindles. The brand new Kindle 3's that my family received as gifts (different orders, different shipments, one ordered on 12-22-10) all had 3.0.2, not 3.0.3.